Sunkissed Tomato & Parmesan Rolls

Sunkissed Tomato & Parmesan Rolls
Sunkissed Tomato & Parmesan Rolls – a little taste of sunshine!

Makes 6 Rolls
450g strong plain white flour1 tsp salt1 tsp caster sugar1 tsp dried yeast280ml water, tepid1tbsp oil from the jar of tomatoes100g sunkissed tomatoes40g grated parmesan
Method
In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar.

Measure out the water (it needs to be tepid to help the yeast activate) add a tablespoon of oil from the jar of tomatoes.

In a small bowl place the dried yeast.  Add a little of the liquid and mix well.  This gets the dried yeast started and helps you along the way!

Make a well in the centre and add the water and yeast.

Work together with your hands to form a rough dough.

Knead the dough well on your work surface for ten minutes if making by hand.  Adding a little flour to the surface if the dough appears too sticky.
Alternatively you can knead in a stand mixer for 6 minutes or use the dough setting on a breadmaker.
Once the dough is smooth and elastic place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to prove in a warm draught free place for an hour or until doubled in size.

Once nicely risen and puffy tip the dough onto the worksurface and knead lightly to knock back.

Roughly chop the sunkissed tomatoes.

Flatten out the dough and add the tomatoes and grated parmesan.

Work the dough well kneading through the tomato and parmesan until well distributed.  To begin with it will seem quite difficult due to the oil from the tomatoes and the cheese but keep going it will smooth out again!
Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces.

And before you say there’s only five – there’s one hiding out of shot!
Shape into rolls  - there’s a bit of knack to this if you want them to rise upwards and not just outwards.
Take each piece and flatten out on the work surface.

take the edges and fold in pressing into the centre

Keep repeating the folding in until you can’t fold in any more!  This folding creates a spine for the roll which helps with the upward action rather than flowing outwards.

Flip the roll over and coax gently into more of a round shape if necessary.

Place on a well floured baking tray, I’m also using a sheet of bake o glide as I can be sure then that they won’t stick!
Slash the tops of the rolls with a really sharp knife.

Cover again with a clean tea towel and allow to rise in a warm spot until risen and puffy (30 mins-1 hour).
Preheat the oven to 200c Fan/220c/Gas Mark 7.
Brush the tops of the rolls with oil from the jar of tomatoes

Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until golden.
Serve warm fresh from the oven or allow to cool on a wire rack.
Sunkissed Tomato & Parmesan Rolls

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Bread, Cheese, Rolls, Savoury, Tomato. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Sunkissed Tomato & Parmesan Rolls

1. Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours says:

they look good Ruth. I currently have a bowl of sourdough brewing – I may just have to add my tomato oil to it!

thanks for the idea!

2. philosophyandcupcakes says:

These look delightful !!! Have you tried making your own sun blush tomatoes? they make things so much better and esaier to work with as they have less oil.

3. At Anna's kitchen table says:

They look heavenly! I like the folding tip, very nice.

I think Im loosing the will to live.I have tried and tried to make bread,rolls,you name it followed different recipes to the letter and it still isnt comming out right arrrgh!but I wont give in.I saw your post and thought let me have a look.I like how you have done the different stages,and what the dough should look like.Right im off now to try again.Will let you know the outcome here goes:)XX

5. Eponine says:

Fantastic tip on shaping the rolls Thanks!

6. Claudia Moser says:

An amazing idea, a good inspiration for Sunday brunch! Thanks!

7. lindyloo says:

Mmmm I can smell them !! Im currently trying a sourdough starter, its day 5 and not sure if its working or not. Ruth can you help with good instructions and photos as everyone seems to have a different method and are economical with good instructions. Also just made a banana bread that ive made 100 times its really good. For some reason this time i added half a cup too much flour (doh !!) what can i expect to happen this time as its usually perfect and very moist. thanks again for your wonderful instructions Linda x

Hi Lindyloo – with your starter you're looking for a cappuccino froth all over the top. When I've made them its taken about 10 days to get going. Unfortunately sour dough starters are too time committing for me and I can't offer them the devotion they deserve so its unlikely I'll put them on the blog. If you have a look at TPWs best of books there is a link to the River Cottage bread book which has really good starter instructions in x
    As for the banana bread – I would say it will be fine with the extra flour – should still be moist but may just be a little more dense than usual x

yum shame my dad aint aloud cheese

10. Jules says:

Made these yesterday and they are gorgeous! Mine are a bit more on the 'rustic' side though shall we say – probably due to my tomatoes not being chopped finely enough and not spending enough time on working in the tomatoes and cheese. The insides remind me of 'tear and share' bread – if I wanted to make these into a flat-ish loaf would it work in a tin the same way as your cheese&onion bread? I've made the cheese& onion bread you posted a while back a few times and it always turns out great – and always brings on the 'did you make this comment!' :o)

Hi Jules – absolutely these would work like the cheese and onion bread – would be lovely. Just divide the dough into small balls and follow the instructions for rising and baking as per the cheese and onion xx

12. SarahWW says:

wow~ that looks fantastic!~ I tried to make a bread during Xmas, but failed, guess the problem is rising process….This one looks really good!~ I may have a try again…

@SarahWW
    Blog:http://sarahwwdesserts.blogspot.com/
    Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/DessertS/168101766575568

Love the blog and the recipes! I was wondering if you could recommend a good oven thermometer? My current oven is a gas one whose thermostat is definitely not accurate!
    x

14. Franziska says:

I made them too and mine were also on the rustic side (great word choice, Jules!). They taste delicious but I must admit I added pancetta to mine and some herbs. The cheese and onion bread was simply divine.

15. gemma says:

This look amazing going to try them this week. Wondering if you can freeze these once you have baked them as there is only two of us and i have already made a loaf this week

Gemma – yes you can freeze them as soon as they have cooled, when defrosted pop them back in a hot oven for 2-3 mins just to refresh them x

Oven thermometers – Lakelands own is great, but have also used the Tala and Salter ones which are just as good x

17. sophzducky says:

Hi Ruth,
    I followed you last year throughout the Britians Best Baker competetion, your style of baking and dealing with ingredients is fantastic. I tryed this recipe the other night, but mixed it with the onion and cheese bread you bloged about recently. They were delicious and light, and pesto-y :-)
    I love reading your blog it's so encouraging. I'm planning on going into a career in culinary arts. Your recipes great as they are tested unlike so many that are on the internet and in books
    Thanks for this recipe, it's great and versitile
    Sophie x