Blueberry and Hazelnut Chocolate Florentines

Blueberry and Hazelnut Chocolate Florentines

Florentines are notoriously tricky blighters, seemingly simple but accurate measurements are needed (Ruth are you paying attention, no really paying attention?  Okay out come the digital scales).
Florentines also need to go on the tray well spaced apart, another instruction in recipes I fail to ‘get’ and frequently end up chiselling a sheet of florentines from a baking tray, add to that the messy affair of coating the monkeys in chocolate and we’re talking baking disaster tantrums.  Time Florentines had The Pink Whisk makeover – follow the recipe and you’ll be making them time and time again (me included).

Perfectly round and easily chocolate coated florentines are made in silicone cupcake trays.  I don’t get on well with silicone moulds for cakes but do have a cupboard full so I’m always on the look out for other ways to use them.  Florentines bake a dream in them, I’ll never return to baking them on a tray again.  Aside from the fact they’re brilliantly perfectly round (appears to me I have some issues with things being uniform?!?) they pop out a treat once baked and make the chocolate coating step a doddle!  If you don’t have silicone trays the individual silicone cupcake cases will work a treat too.

50g golden syrup
50g butter
50g demerara sugar
50g plain flour
60g dried blueberries
40g chopped hazelnuts

150g dark or milk chocolate to coat

Makes 12.

Preheat the oven to 170c Fan/190c/ Gas Mark 5.

As mentioned before you will need to pay attention and measure super accurately for these to work, digital scales are ideal.

Begin by measuring out the syrup, directly into a medium sized pan. 50g on the dot.

Add the butter and demerara sugar to the pan and heat over a medium heat until the butter is melted.

Remove the pan from the heat and add in the flour, dried blueberries and chopped hazelnuts and give it a good old stir up.

I’ve tried with fresh blueberries and unfortunately they lose too much juice and ruin the florentines so in this case dried is best.  If you can’t get hold of blueberries used dried cherries, craisins or raisins in the same quantity.

Divide the mixture between the 12 recesses of a silicone cupcake tray, it will be approx a heaped teaspoon measure each.

Using the back of the teaspoon gently encourage the mixture to cover the base of each.  The mixture is thick and it will be a little reluctant but they need your help at this point.

Into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown, starting to crisp around the edges and looking a little holey!  A strange instruction however if you bake them you’ll know what I mean.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the trays.  They’ll be soft when they come out so leave them alone to harden up before you pop them out of the trays onto a wire rack.  Do not be tempted just to try one, you’ll burn your mouth – don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Whilst they’re finishing off cooling on the wire rack wash out the silicone trays.  They’ll be greasy from the florentines and we need them for the chocolate stage.

Melt the chocolate – milk or dark whichever you prefer – in short 30 second bursts in the microwave.

Place 2 teaspoons of melted chocolate in the base of each recess and spread across the bottom using the spoon.

(That’s my nephew’s baby spoon I’m using – it’s the same size as a teaspoon but flexible made from silicone, don’t tell him I use them for baking)

Drop each florentine back into the tray on top of the chocolate.

Chill in the fridge to set.

Once the chocolate has set you can flip out the florentines with their fab chocolate base.

Blueberry and Hazelnut Chocolate Florentines

Eat them all before anyone else comes home and knows you even made them – shhhh I won’t tell!

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Blueberry, Chocolate, Egg-free, Hazelnut, Nut, Nuts, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Blueberry and Hazelnut Chocolate Florentines

1. Lucy says:

Oh these look amazing, I love florentines! I'm having some friends round for drinks & nibbles the night before my wedding next week…these will be perfect to make, thanks! :)

2. Kate@katescakesandbakes says:

Really helpful tip with using the silicone mounds Ruth, thank you very much. Floretines and macarons are my baking nemesis (nemesi??) So ill be following your tips to the letter!

3. SumaiyyahAbidah says:

They look so good! I always fancied making florentines ever since I first read about them, but for some reason they seem a bit daunting! Maybe I'll get the courage one day…

4. Victoria says:

what a fab tip! thanks ruth!! i've never made florentines after watching a friend's batch spread and spread and spread…am totally tempted to give them a go now! thanks :)

5. Maggie@BritishBaking says:

Using the moulds to coat them in chocolate mess free is just inspired!

Thanks for the tip :)

6. Anne says:

This is ingenious! I'm on a big dried berry kick (my fave is chocolate oatmeal cookies with dried cherries), so this is definitely going on the to-bake list!

7. Bernice says:

Inspired. The idea of using the muffin sheets is brilliant. Well done again Ruth

8. At Anna's kitchen table says:

Brilliant!! I love the use of the silicone pans (I like things uniform too lol)

9. Holly B @ Recipes from a Normal Mum says:

What a fantastic use for those seemingly useless silicone trays. You've done it again…. :-)

10. Amy says:

I make them for Christmas and look forward to your easier method! Great tip!

11. Janice says:

making them in the silicone moulds is a great idea!

Ooo, a use for silicone bakeware, and a tasty use at that! Inspired!

13. Haz says:

These look delicious i will have to give them a go at the weekend, if anyone has time please visit my blog : http://thebluespatula.blogspot.com/ It's very new so only has a few recipes on so far, but cooking is my passion so i want to share it with others.. thanks

14. Gregg says:

Do you have any suggestions for a golden syrup substitute? In my part of the US where I live, I have no access to this product. Any adequate substitution would be great. I would love to try this for a bbq I'm having next weekend.

15. Laura says:

I've never bought into the whole silicone moulds myself, and so don't actually own any. Do you think this would be possible to do in a standard metal muffin tray if i lined the bottom? Or would they just be impossible to come out in one piece?

Thanks for another great recipe!

Hi Laura, not sure theres only one way to find out! I would line the bottoms with a circle of baking paper first xx

17. Kirsteen says:

These look amazing! I've never tried using silicone trays before but this is a great excuse to invest in some and try this recipe. Thank you!

18. thelittleloaf says:

What a clever idea! I've got 2 silicon cupcake trays at home just begging to be used for this purpose :-) Dried blueberries are a really interesting addition – i bet they go beautifully with the rich chocolate coating. Yum.

19. Claire Elizabeth says:

Hey, I fell in love with florentines when I made some as christmas gifts a couple of years ago. In the past I have tended to use a round pastry cutter to 're-shape' the floretines into circles once they have come out the oven. However, I love your idea of using silicone cupcake trays- I will definetly give this a go in the future!

20. cupcake crazy says:

They look fantastic! Going to experiment using dried cranberries and chopped pistachios with white chocolate and give them as Christmas gifts.

Does anyone know how long will they keep for please?

21. Francesca says:

These are lovely Ruth: I made two batches of florentines this morning, following your recipe and a different one – not one was yours easier but the results are far superior, I’ve still got the chocolate step to do but so far I am delighted with how they look. Thank you so much, I am sure my friends at work will enjoy these tomorrow :0 xx p.s. silicon molds – fab tip!!

22. Gerryberry says:

Ruth is it possible to use frozen blueberries in this? If not what can I do to the frozen berries to get them to work? Really want to do this!

• You could try but I think that the juice from the berries might interfere with the recipe there’s only one way to find out! Failing that have a look at dehydrating blueberries, it can be done in an oven without a dehydrator but I believe its a long tedious process. Could you get hold of dried cherries instead?

23. Gerryberry says:

THank you ruth for your prompt reply. Where I am from most cherries are either canned or bottled. Since I come from a tropical country most fruit is fresh.ANy other substitute that I could use?

24. Gerryberry says:

yes !!!! Thank you!!!! And how about dates???
    seedless ones chopped up???

25. Geryberry says:

Thank you Ruth for your prompt reply. Very much appreciated. Waiting for your cake book. Much love and hugs.

26. Laura says:

Hello! Genius idea with the silicon moulds!
    How long would these keep do you think?

Thanks!