Caramel Cake

Caramel Cake

Caramel Cake with Crushed Daim Bars

Cake

300g butter

180g dark muscovado sugar

1/2 397g tin Carnation Caramel (Dulche de Leche)

6 eggs

320g self raising flour

Filling

125g butter

250g Icing Sugar

1 spoonful of Caramel (from the tin)

Icing

250g Icing Sugar

1 spoonful of Caramel (from the tin)

10ml water

2 Daim Bars
I thought I would use this cake to test out my new tin.  A Tefal AirBake cake tin.  We used some of the range on The Great British Bake Off and because I’m a swine for buying tins, in all shapes and sizes I wanted to put it to the test at home.

Tefal AirBake

You will need two 8″ or 9″ tins.  I am comparing the Tefal AirBake to a trusty tin I already have.

The AirBake range comes in all sorts of sizes and they do handy loaf tins, tart pans and baking sheets too.  Their main selling point is that they ensure no burning and even baking….well lets see, back to the cake in hand.

Grease both the cake tins (I have to admit here to cheating with my old tin, I lined the base too knowing that I wouldn’t get the cake out of the tin whole if I didn’t!  The Tefal wasn’t going to get the same failsafe treatment!

Cream together the butter and dark sugar.

When thoroughly creamed add in half the tin of caramel and mix again.

Beat the eggs together and mix slowly into the butter/sugar/caramel mix adding a spoonful of flour at any sign of curdling.

Add in the remaining flour and mix together.  Split the cake mix between the two tins.

Level the top of the mixture and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 160c Fan/180c/Gas Mark 4 until golden brown and cooked through.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.  Now is the moment of truth – the AirBake cake has baked beautifully but will it release from the tin?

First signs are promising….

Ta Da!  Straight out of the tin and only a tiny tiny bit came away with the tin.  Okay then, I’m impressed!

Allow both cakes to cool completely and then make the filling.  Mix together the softened butter and icing sugar, when fully combined add in one spoonful of caramel from the remainder in the tin.  Spread all over the top of one of the cakes.  On top of the butter cream add another couple of spoonfuls of caramel and spread it out nicely.

Place the second cake on top and now mix up the icing – icing sugar, water and the remaining caramel in the tin.

Place the two Daim bars in a sandwich bag and bash them up until they’re lots of little bits.

Pour the icing over the top of the cake and top with the crushed Daim pieces.

Caramel Cake with Crushed Daim Bars

I would thoroughly recommend the Tefal AirBake range – I am off to buy some more (shhhh! don’t tell my OH!).

You can buy the full range from the official Tefal shop Home and Cook

This entry was posted in Cake, Caramel, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Caramel Cake

1. MySecretTeaRoom says:

I too love buying cake tins, but have to stop myself because I already have a cupboard full, some of which are quite old. I also, always, cover the sides and the bottom of all tins when baking, because,I know they will never come out in one piece if I didn't.Perhaps it's time I bought some new ones.
    The Cake looks delicious.

2. Karolina says:

I wasn't too excited until I saw this lovely crunch on the top. :) I think it makes this cake and love it. :)

3. A Thrifty Mrs says:

I love Daim bars so I am def going to give this a go.

4. butteredcrumpet says:

Oo I'm always wary of new tins and was secretly hoping your old tin would come up trumps all the way through this post. I have really old tins and use the old method gease and flour and absolutely nothing sticks to them (touching wood now I've said that).

Daim bars and cake? I would have to demolish the whole thing if I made it! Looks delish Ruth.

5. Lynn says:

I really want to try this recipe – what size eggs did you use please?

Hi Lynn – just regular medium size eggs. Ruth x

Just a quick follow up to let you know what temp to bake it at!

190c/170c Fan/Gas Mark 5

8. katmal says:

Ooooh, I think I love you Ruth! :-D

Thanks for a great recipe, "Yummy" "This is delicious" " You can make this again Mum"….I think they liked it! Well done Ruth!

Oh my goodness – had this today and it was DIVINE!!!!

11. Lisa says:

I made this for the worlds biggest coffee morning at work this week and it went down a storm. Many thanks for the fabulous recipe, can't wait to try more :)

12. the princess says:

just found your blog after finally seeing the end of gbbo. so glad you made it to the end as you were my favourite from the start! i will be stealing this recipe to make for my OH's birthday tomorrow! can't wait! x

13. Miss Wings says:

Made this at the weekend for my sons birthday, it was a big hit, absolutly loved it, gonna make this again for sure

14. Lynn says:

Well I finally got around to making this at the weekend … oh my goodness it has to be the best cake I ever made! Thank you for the recipe. (And then today I went to Slimming World for weigh-in – oops.)

15. Iluvpinkxx22 says:

I have been looking for a really nice caramel cake recipe now I have found the perfect one it's absolutely yummy

16. Tulip says:

I've made it… it may be the first time but it won't be the last… AMAZING!!! Thank you Ruth!

17. Tulip says:

Made this today and I'm hooked, what a fab cake. Made it in my tins which were smaller than your so ended up with a deeper cake. Still have filling and icing left over so I'm going to make a batch of cupcakes with it tomorro! Take a look at my photo of it.

18. Diane says:

I think i would love this but got a sneaky feeling my oh would say it was too sweet. Any ideas to 'tame it' a litte so I can still make it and enjoy it but so will he ??

I made this last weekend, absolutely delicious! So sweet, my favourite. I have one slice left to savour this evening.

But i was surprised at how huge the mixture was, and it wouldn't fit into my usual 9" circular tins, so it managed to make about 11 fairy cakes too with a lovely butter cream filling! Will use again, was brilliant

20. Lisa Shannon says:

Been meaning to make this since September but something eles always got in the way (i.e dime bars had already been eaten before I could preheat the oven). Finally made it this afternoon to make up for a disappointing pub lunch, it was heaven. My daughter's want to say a big thank you for such a lovely treat!!

Lots of Love
    Lisa xx

I am making this tomorrow for my boyfriends birthday. I hope it tastes as good as it looks! Wish me look! x

Good luck – you'll be fine! xx

hello… i would like to know what a 'daim' is because i havent seen it in any supermarket. i live in birmingham…. what other chocolate can i use?

Hi – A daim is like a crunchy almond toffee covered in chocolate. If you can't get hold of them try bashing up a crunchie bar – the honeycomb and chocolate will work a treat x

You can get Daim bars in Ikea – they used to be called Dime bars.

26. Nicola Rose says:

This cake is now a firm favourite of mine!

I have kept meaning to try this recipe and made this to take into work and it went down a storm! Soooooo so yummy!! I will definitely be making it again!

28. kate West says:

What a treat, there was so much mixture that I made a three layer giant, I changed the filling to a cream cheese and vanilla buttercream drizzled with caramel. My daughter says that it is now her favourite cake.

29. jackaab says:

I am making this tomorrow for my best friend and lover of dime bars, 18th Birthday. I hope all goes ok, I can't wait to try it! Well done Ruth :-)

Oh, 1 thing. I am staying with a friend at the moment and she has a gas oven, I have only ever baked in a fan oven, do you think it will still work out fine? I hope so. Thanks again Ruth.

Gas ovens are great for baking in – should turn out just lovely for you x

31. Linda says:

Is it just me or has the method for the caramel Daim cake disappeared since the new website was live? I can only see to the photo of new cake tins?

32. Helen M says:

What oven temp Ruth??
    I am guessing 160 for fan oven?

33. Joanne says:

Hi Ruth,

I made this cake last year for a Children in Need fundraiser and I’m having requests for it again this year – it was delicious! I’d like to turn it into cupcakes though – any idea how many the above quantities would yield? And was considering putting the buttercream icing on top and sprinkling with diam bars. Do you think that would work? Can I mix the caramel sauce into the buttercream?
    Thanks

34. Claire says:

This cake looks amazing!! But I only have 7″ baking tins, how much would you suggest I reduce the quantities by?
    Thanks!

• I would just go for it as is rather than reducing the quantities – just check the baking time as it may take five mins or so longer. Check the cakes are fully cooked with a skewer x

35. sue little says:

Hi

will this cake freeze x

36. Pingback: Loveaudrey Bakes: Ruth’s Caramel Cake | Love Audrey

37. susan reid says:

Made this and was delighted with it. Wasn’t as sickly as i expected. A new favourite in my house and my 8 year old says she would give it 11 out of 10!!!!!

38. Claire butler says:

Made this cake and can’t believe how moist and good it tastes. My family love it. Not too sweet either. Perfect for caramel lovers!!!

39. Panayiotta Marselli says:

Hi, can i use thick caramel sauce sauce instead of dulce caramel sauce or is it better to do the sweetend condensed milk in the oven thing?!! Thanks!!

40. Rachel Ramsay says:

Just wondering how deep this turns out? I’m looking for a caramel cake recipe for celebration cakes (so will cover in sugarpaste) but like about 3.5-4 inches when finished. Wondering if I need to up the quantities at all? Thanks

• Yes, you’ll probably need a double quantity x

• Rachel says:

Thanks Ruth, just noticed your reply. Haven’t made it yet, but I’m soon to do my daughter’s birthday cake which is a good time to try out things. However, I’m also trying a topsy turvy as I’ve got one ordered a month or so later! Will this cake hold up to being Topsied?! Thanks

• Yes I’m pretty sure it’s sturdy enough to topsy turvy! Do you have special tins or are you carving? My brain just can’t carve them the right way so it’s tins for me! x

41. sandra carr says:

Have made this a couple of times now after the initial cake was devoured in minutes. Its so sweet and scrummy. Who could not like it?? :-)