Choc Cherry Cake Pops & Kenco Millicano

I was lucky enough recently to be invited along to the launch of a fab new instant coffee – Kenco Millicano – Kenco’s first ever Wholebean Instant coffee!  It’s the closest thing to ‘proper’ coffee you’ll get in an instant.  Available in supermarkets from the 1st March 2011.

Part of the launch was a demo by super duo Eric Lanlard and Patrick Cox of Cox Cookies and Cake fame.

Eric and Patrick showed us how to make seriously delicious choc cherry cake pops – perfect for dipping in your cup of coffee.  The lovely folks at Kenco also sent us all home with all the ingredients needed for these little gems – heck it’d be rude not to give them a go!

The cake pops are best made with cake that’s not ‘fresh from the oven’ so if you can, try and make the cake bit a day in advance.

These are the Kenco cake pops – but I’m going a bit more Pink Whisky with mine.  The design is up to you – unleash your creative side!

Cake
425g tin of pitted cherries (sweet) in juice
100g dark chocolate
165g unsalted butter
60ml cherry brandy (optional)
150g plain flour
2tbsps self-raising flour
2tbsp cocoa powder
1 egg, large

Coating and decoration
Lollipop sticks
75g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter
50g cocoa powder
250g melted white chocolate
Edible glitter (optional – but not in my opinion!)
Chocolate heart decorations (optional)

(I have included some links for sticks and glitter at the end of this post)

Preheat the oven to 160c Fan/180c/Gas Mark 4.
Grease and line an 8″ square tray.
Drain the cherries and set aside the juice.

Measured 120ml of juice, add it to the cherries and blitz in a food processor or mash them down well with a fork if you don’t have one.

Place the chocolate, butter, sugar, brandy (if using) and cherry puree in a pan.

Over a low heat stir until the butter and chocolate is melted.

Pour into a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.

Whisk in the sifted flours, cocoa powder and egg.  Don’t worry the mixture is supposed to be runny!

Pour the mixture into the tin (square approx 8 x 8″) and then bake for 40-45 mins until firm to the touch.

Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

In a large bowl beat together the butter, cocoa and icing sugar until you have a lovely smooth frosting.

Split the cake in half.  You will only need half the cake to make 20 cake pops.  You can eat the rest whilst you work!  Crumble up the cake into nice fine crumbs.

Rub in the chocolate frosting until you have the consitency of a paste.

Using your hands roll the mixture into balls approx 1″ in diameter and place them on a tray.  If the mixture is sticking to your hands too much try dusting them with a little cocoa powder.

Chill the balls to firm them up in the fridge for half an hour.

Melt the white chocolate.  Take your lolly stick and dip the end into the melted chocolate.  Push the stick into a ball about halfway through.

Now dip the entire ball into the chocolate to coat.  Turn the stick allowing the excess chocolate to drip off.

I’m using a block of polystyrene to stab the sticks into so that they can dry upright – rummage around and see what you can find to use – improvisation is the key here!  Add a good dose of glitter whilst the chocolate is still liquid.

It is important here to get the glitter all over yourself, all over any passing family members and of course all over the kitchen.

Add a small chocolate heart decoration, glueing them on with a dab of melted chocolate.  These ones here are by Dr Oetker.

Allow the chocolate to set and then enjoy with your favourite cup of coffee.

Watch out for Kenco Millicano – it hits the shops on the 1st March 2011.

If you’ve been inspired by the cake pops please see Bakerella’s website – she’s the cake pop queen!

Oh and just so’s you know, this is not a sponsored post but Kenco have provided the ingredients! xx

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off 2010

This entry was posted in Cake, Cake Pops, Cherry, Chocolate, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Choc Cherry Cake Pops & Kenco Millicano

1. Kylie says:

Oh wow they look absolutely fantastic! I need to have a go!

2. PinkCat says:

These look great – almost like they were shop bought. I can be quite clumsy in the kitchen. Do you think they're pretty fool proof to make? x

3. Rachel K says:

I have seen these before but not as pretty as yours!! They are gorgeous, and would be fab for a party too- esp a girly one like a bridal shower, etc! Thanks :) x

PinkCat – absolutely fool proof! xx

5. Sanchita says:

Fantastic looking cake pops !

6. Rachel W says:

Hi Ruth, these look amazing! How long do you think they would last? I'm thinking I could make them for a charity bake sale at work but i'm not actually in that day so would need to make something a few days in advance x

7. Cath x says:

Now they look absolutely amazing but i'd have to have about 6 at a time lol!

8. life in the wendy house says:

I've seen lots of cakepops about and I'm thinking I may now have a go myself, you've made them look easy! (: Just a shame that they aren't made or MORE cake…haha (:

9. leangel says:

Gorgeous cake pops, I love the glitter and heart combo! I’ve made plenty of cake truffles which are essentially cakepops minus the sticks and they always go down a treat. I use Martha Stewarts Devil Food cake as a base and just throw in a little frosting to bind the crumbs. It’s a brilliant way to use up leftover bits of cake after I make a carved cake. I usually roll the balls, place them on a baking paper lined tray, wrap well in clingfilm and freeze them if I don’t have time to finish the truffles at that time. It also helps to solidify the chocolate when dipping them. I love to make them look like chocolates by placing them in mini metallic cupcake cases.

I’ll definitely be giving them a go as pops to try out a few different methods and combinations; I’ll definitely be using glitter too!

10. Dom at Belleau Kitchen says:

they look so amazing but I feel like i'm destroying the cake by crumbling it… am i weird?

11. carole says:

Oooh they look gorgeous…I think even I could have a go at those Mmmmm x

12. Helen says:

These look fabulous, Ruth! I love the idea of dipping them into coffee. I'm also a big fan of Bakerella.

13. Rach D says:

sparkly cake, what more could you ask for? beautiful :) xx

14. Deb says:

Hi Ruth – these look gorgeous and I am raring to have a go at them – but I can't find any of the chocolate hearts. Do you have any idea where I may pick them up from? Deb

15. Nickki says:

I really want to make these! They look so good – I love the purple glitter!

Dom – I'm with you there – I had to take a deep breath before crumbling the cake!

Deb – try The Co-op, Asda and Sainsburys I've seen them in all of those, generally the bigger stores though!

Rachel W – these keep really well so you can make them well in advance. Once the chocolate has set I keep them in the fridge, will last a good week x

17. Sharon says:

They look so pretty, and what a cute idea!

18. Clothcat says:

These look great – I bet my kids would love these! Rather good that you get to keep the other half of the cake too.

where do you get the edible glitter from?

they look amazing you make it look so easy!!

21. Una says:

I just had to say Thank you for this post – not only will I be making some gorgeous cake pops but I have just bought some Millicano coffee and it is lovely. At last an instant coffee that tastes like coffee should!
    Thanks Ruth x

You can buy edible glitter from most cake decorating supply shops including Hobbycraft. You can also buy online and I have included some links to products available on Amazon at the end of the post which you may find useful. Xx

23. Sue B says:

These went down a treat! I didn't have lolly sticks so made them into balls instead. Ran out of white choc so did some dark choc…they were a bit too rich. The white choc nicely balanced out the bitterness of the dark choc.Thanks for the recipe!

24. Fabulicious Food says:

Very cute looking cake pops and an extra special treat to meet Eric, I've heard he is lovely. I haven't tried making any yet but would love to try so thanks for the tips! Ren x

25. Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours says:

I was there too and have not done my post yet!

Sorry not to have met you. It was a fun evening!

26. Sharon says:

These are beautiful and they sound absolutely yummy. I may try them for Easter treats!

27. Tori says:

Hi Ruth, I'm planning to make these for my cousin's mendhi party, they look fab! One question, how many does this recipe make? And how many packs of glitter did you use?

Hi Tori – the recipe will make approx 30 cake pops, you will only need one pot of glitter – it goes a long way! x

29. Tori says:

Excellent, thanks a lot – gotta make at least 120!

30. Sneha says:

just tried it, was all fine up until the melting white chocolate and decorating bit. was a disaster after that… White chocolate went lumpy due to over heating and i think i rolled the balls too large because they kept sliding down the stick and dying. Any tips? shall i just make the balls a lot smaller and buy some new white chocolate and be careful this time? thanks x

31. Francesca says:

Hi Ruth – please could you tell me where you got this glitter from? I have lots of other colours but I really like this purple and white chocolate combo. Thank you.

32. Haz says:

I was just wondering where you can get the Glitter and Lolly Pop sticks from?
    Thanks

33. Pingback: 26/11/11; Cake Pops!

34. Pingback: Giveaway: Kenco Millicano Coffee Morning Set | Fuss Free Flavours

35. Pingback: Once you pop, you just can’t stop! | Polly Mixtures

36. Polly says:

Hey Ruth! I tried out this recipe this weekend and they were just too delicious! Everyone went crazy for them. I blogged about it and linked to this page. Thanks for sharing another delicious recipe with us :) Polly x http://polly-mixtures.com/2012/01/22/once-you-pop-you-just-cant-stop/

37. shosh says:

beautiful!! wish we could get the glitter and all the pretty stuff here.. we live in israel..

38. Maureen Jones says:

Can you please tell me what size of pop sticks you used to make the choc chery cake pops?
    I am thinking of making these for my daughter’s 21st. I live in Brisbane, Australia and I have never seen these cakes pops anywhere.
    Thank you.