Cake Decorating – Top Tips #1

I thought I’d share my 5 top cake decorating tips this week, just very little bits and pieces that I’ve learnt along the way and make life ten tons easier!

Maybe you’ll know my top tips already but just in case…. here’s  number 1

Don’t Knead – Microwave!

Sugarpaste (fondant) has to be kneaded before rolling out and using to cover a cake. It warms up the sugarpaste and makes it soft and pliable ready to cover without splitting and cracking.  The only downside to kneading is that that’s when all those little flecks and bits magically jump into the sugarpaste.  Yes you know the blighters I mean!

Instead of kneading, put the sugarpaste onto a clean plate. and microwave for 10 – 15 seconds.  You’re just warming it up, don’t blast it in the microwave otherwise you’ll burn it and it’ll turn to liquid.

April 073 (Copy)

Just gently warmed in the microwave it’s ready to roll straight out and cover your cake.

April 074 (Copy)
April 076 (Copy)

And, if you’re ready to start a bit of decorating all the basics you’ll find in

The Busy Girls’ Guide to Cake Decorating ;)

More of my top tips coming up every day this week, so until tomorrow Xx

Ruth

Meet me down the aisles of The Pink Whisk Shop – for all sorts of cake decorating and baking delights!

This entry was posted in Decorating, Sugarpaste. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Cake Decorating – Top Tips #1

1. julie h says:

fab tip there well done Ruth :) x

2. spleenyone says:

Thanks Ruth! Top tips couldn’t come at a better time for me as in a couple of weeks I’ll be doing my sister’s wedding cake and I need all the help I can get!

3. I’m a real beginner when it comes to cake decorating, so I’m soaking in these tips. Thanks for sharing.

4. Dawne says:

ARGH! why didn’t I think of that! goodbye specks!!!!

5. Amanda Scott says:

Great tip thanks Ruth ! Hubby decorating my birthday cake for tomorrow, shouting your tips through to him. To help in his way ;-)

6. Dawne says:

do you mind sharing which fondant you are using here? it looks like it’s come out of a tub.

7. Amanda says:

Hi, I am making a birthday cake for my friend with a passport cover design. My initial idea is not going to work. Have you got any helpful ideas on how I could get the gold design onto my cake. Thanks

8. Rachel says:

I always use a microwave before kneading colour by hand as it’s such hard work from cold when you need to enough sugarpaste to cover a cake… Although I see you use the dough hook on a mixer, great idea for those who have one.

9. Rachel says:

Sorry, I meant COLOUR enough sugarpaste to cover a cake

10. Alina Carter says:

Thanks for suggesting these helpful tips. As I always try to invent something new to decorate my cake. But sometimes it gets mess up everything. So may be these tips will work out for me.