Day 11 – Meringue Mince Pies

Christmas 4 080

Meringue topped Mince Pies for Day 11

This idea came from Shirley via facebook and I’m so pleased it did – a great twist on the traditional mince pie!

1 x batch of Mince Pie Pastry – recipe here

Mincemeat

2 egg whites, large

Silver ball sprinkles (optional)

Makes: 12

Preheat the oven to 180c (fan)/200c/Gas Mark 6.

Roll out the pastry and cut out 12 fluted circles, use to line the recesses of your mince pie tin.

Fill them with mincemeat and bake in the oven, for 15 minutes.

Christmas 4 062

Whilst those are baking add the egg whites to a large clean bowl.

Christmas 4 064

Whisk until they start to go foamy and then whilst whisking continuously add the sugar 1 spoonful at a time until it’s all been worked in.

Keep whisking until the meringue forms medium firm peaks.

Christmas 4 065

Add the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.

Christmas 4 066

After cooling a little in the tin, transfer the open baked mincepies to a baking tray.  This way you’re not at risk of the meringue glueing the mincepies into the recessed tin.

Christmas 4 067

Add a swirly dose of meringue to the top of each.

Christmas 4 068

Scatter the tops with silver ball sprinkles and return to the oven for 5 minutes until the tops are just getting a tinge of golden.

Christmas 4 070
Christmas 4 078

Allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack.

Serve warm, or cold!

They will keep for 2 days in an airtight container in the fridge.

Christmas 4 157

Meringue topped mince pies – thank you Shirley!

This entry was posted in Christmas, Meringue, Pastry, Treats, Twelve Days of Christmas. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Day 11 – Meringue Mince Pies

1. Emma says:

Is anyone else going to be upset when the 12 days ends? I look forward to the email every morning to tell me what its going to be today. :(

2. Andrea Burke says:

Hi Ruth,
    I’m loving the idea of your new mince pie recipe. Can’t wait to give it a go, my freezer is stuffed with egg whites Would u mind share where did u get the ‘fluted’ tray u baked those mince pies? It makes them look so posh! ;-)
    Thanks.

3. HELEN says:

oh my, another great recipe…fab idea!

4. Ooh two of my fave thing meringues and mince pies – never thought to put them together – must try this

5. Lorna says:

These look very tasty – in our house there is only me who likes mince pies – I think that these would make a fabulous treat.

6. Sian summers says:

Just made a double batch of your normal mince pies for the school Faye. I’m feeling like supermum now, just really struggling not to eat a few myself.

7. Oh these look lovely – I made them a few years ago and called them Mince Pies with hairdo’s – found them in a very old recipe book where they were called, very grandly, Mince Pies Royale – lovely job on the meringue. Thoroughly enjoy your blog :)

8. Gemma Samanta says:

These sound yummy hadn’t thought of trying this x

9. Penny says:

What a lovely twist on a Christmas favourite. I can’t wait to try. Thank you!

10. Kim Hutchinson says:

Yum! Will definitely be trying these, although they’ll be tricky to store as you can’t stack them (if they last long enough to store!!). I see the silver balls sneaked in again! I made my Christmas cake at the weekend, I used your boozy fruit recipe as usual, but I tried your slow bake method this year, and although the proof will be in the tasting, so far it looks like my best cake yet :-)

11. Libby says:

How long do the last for?xx

12. Andrea Burke says:

Hi Ruth,
    could you, pretty please, share where you got that lovely fluted tray… Thanks and happy baking!

PS:Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and your family!