Chocolate & Chai Biscotti

Chocolate and Chai Biscotti

I think the world has been keeping a secret from me – Chai tea!  Have you tried it?  A chai latte has become my favourite treat.  I think its one of the most delicious new things I have tried in ages.  It’s a black tea beautifully flavoured with cinnamon and spices and luckily you can pick up this mix in most major supermarkets. (They also do a vanilla chai latte mix which is gorgeous too.)

This biscotti recipe was crying out for a chai injection and it works brilliantly.  (Actually maybe it was me that was crying out for a chai fix).

350g plain flour
100g spiced chai latte powder
1 1/2tsp baking powder
1/4tsp salt
3 eggs
25g melted butter
150g milk chocolate chopped

Preheat the oven to 160c/150c Fan/325F/Gas Mark 3

Grease a large baking tray.

Stir together flour, sugar, latte mix, baking powder and salt.

Whisk together the eggs and the melted butter. (Pink whisk optional).

Add the chopped chocolate to the dry mix and then add in the eggs/butter mix.

Stir altogether to create a soft, almost sticky, dough.

Now tip it all out onto your work surface.

Give it a bit of a knead and bring it together into a ball of dough.  Use a little bit of flour on your hands if it is sticking to you or the work top too much.

Divide the dough in half.
Shape each half into a log about 30cm in length and 5cm in diameter. Again, using a bit of extra flour on your hands to stop the stick!

Place both well apart on the baking tray.  They will spread considerably in the oven so now you’ve put them on the tray move them a little bit further apart!

Into the oven they go for 25-30 minutes until the tops are light brown and cracked.

Cool on the tray for 15 minutes.

Now one at a time move onto a chopping board and with a serrated knife cut each into 1 1/2cm thick slices on the diagonal.

Put each slice back onto the tray and bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven, turn each biscotti over and into the oven again for 8 minutes until dried out and golden.

My friend Lea (Biscotti Queen) suggests to stand up each slice for the re-bake, you’ll need a steady hand and good dexterity to do it – I excelled in the domino effect – but stood up ,the biscotti will need only 10 minutes on the second bake.  You will find Lea on twitter @bakersbunny and that lady knows her stuff.

Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

For an extra indulgent treat you could dip them into melted chocolate.

Chocolate and Chai Biscotti

Delicious served with a steaming cappuccino.

Ruth Clemens Baker

This entry was posted in Biscotti, Biscuits, Chai, Chocolate. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Chocolate & Chai Biscotti

1. MySecretTeaRoom says:

They look delicious. I'm often tempted to make Biscotti Biscuits,don't really know why I haven't made any yet. You've inspired me to make some soon.

2. Choclette says:

What a fab idea. I'm not really a black tea fan, but I do like chai. Have only recently started experimenting with using tea in my baking – have been impressed so far.

3. edinburghfoody says:

I've just finished my pot of chai tea latte from Trader Joe's in the US. Could you share which "major supermarket" you got yours from? Would love to try the recipe

Also intrigued which of the bakers you are on the trailer!

Tescos and Waitrose both do the spiced chai latte and the vanilla latte (which is equally as nice.

5. Lester Fontayne says:

Just browsing your site after seeing you on the telly. Well done!

I, too, used to think the chai drink you mentioned was pretty good until I discovered that homemade chai is infinitely superior. Give it a go; see what you think.

chai biscotti is a lovely idea! by far the nicest chai i've ever had was from Connoisseur Coffee Co (where i used to buy my coffee when i lived in the Bay Area) – loose chai is definitely superior to the supermarket stuff, it's just finding it here in the UK.

& congratulations for doing so well on the bake-off, i was crossing my fingers & toes that it came down to you & Edd! (you were both my favourites).

7. Eponine says:

Hello, just thought I'd say I tried this recipe last week, with a couple of modifications. No chance to get to a major supermarket for the chai, so I substituted with some hot chocolate powder, and a teaspoon of cinnamon. They were lovely, I think they needed the full 30 min in my oven though, as they were still a little damp in the middle. Hubby loved them!

8. Eponine says:

Just to add, I made some Chai ones to give as Christmas Gifts, and they were very popular with the Inlaws!

we made this for a bday party

10. Indigo Blue says:

Hi,
    I love Chai tea and have it at work, without milk. Not thought of baking with it though. I do not know of anyone else who hass heard of it!

11. nicola says:

Chai Tea is my new addiction! I found it in Sainsburys last week and I’m hooked. Can’t wait to try this recipe x

12. Holly Soole says:

How have I only just come across this recipe!? I’ve been hooked on Chai since my visit to India in 2008, admittedly its not quite the same here but its the next best thing…biscotti looks delish! Cant wait to try it out xx

13. Adele says:

Ruth I made these today they are lush, how long do they last and how do I store them.
    P.s christmas cake fudge is to die for.
    Adele x