Ribbon Bow Cupcake Toppers – A How To…

Ribbon Bow Cupcake Toppers

Thought I would just do a quick post on how to make your own lovely cupcake toppers.  I used these little bows on sticks for my miniature cakes in The Great British Bake Off.

I’ve always been a crafty kind of person, taught to me by my lovely Mum! (Some of you may know her from UKScrappers?) When I was younger she taught me how to tie bows with a single length of ribbon, and it’s like riding a bike – you never forget how!

You can buy ready made off the shelf cupcake toppers in all sorts of themes but I often saw them and thought how easy it could be to make your own.  In the past I have printed off footballs onto pieces of card and attached them to cocktail sticks for my boys – the list of ideas is endless – just use your imagination to come up with something that fits your theme!

For the ribbon bow toppers you will need cocktail sticks, ribbon and glue.

For the bows, I tied little green ones in ribbon to match the cakes.

Cut one sharp point off the cocktail sticks with scissors – careful the little pieces will fly all over!

Use a hot glue gun to attach the bows to the sticks – it dries very quickly but UHU or the like will work if you have more patience than me!

Attach a ribbon bow to each side of the stick so that they are double facing.  Remove any straggly bits of glue, trim off the tails of the bows neatly and then place on the top of your cupcakes for a really glamorous cupcake!

Ribbon Bow Cupcake ToppersRibbon Bow Cupcake Toppers

Ruth Clemens Baker Ruth Clemens, Baker Extraordinaire

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in Cupcakes, How To, In the Pantry, The Great British Bake Off. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Ribbon Bow Cupcake Toppers – A How To…

1. Kim says:

UK Scrappers?! What a small world, I have been a member on there for years! Funny how a lot of crafters are great bakers too!! I adore the cakes, beautiful!

2. elaine says:

Looks yum can you pls also post the red pepper tarts from the final. Rly want to try these. Thanks so much

3. Georgina says:

Very small world indeed – I'm a member over there too!

4. amylane says:

They are so cute. I'm rubbish at tying ribbons! x

5. dawn060861 says:

I think the cakes look lovely and love the cases and toppers,I will be investing in some of those small tins as they are so useful. I love your blog.

Dawn x

6. Linda says:

Another Scrappers member here:)
    I made these cakes today, they are delicious but just a couple of comments to make: I only had 10 grams of mint and as they are very minty tasting I think I would actually use a bit less next time. The blackberry buttercream is very runny so have added more icing sugar to thicken. Am wondering if you had any problems when adding the berries Ruth? Thanks for sharing your recipes, I have also made the caramel cake – WOW, it is gorgeous. My boyfriend and his firefighter workmates were well impressed.

7. Monica says:

I've been to the Blue Ribbon shop and it is lovely, and the people that work there are really knowledgeable.
    These cakes look lovely and I will definitely try them. I second the poster who wants the mini quiche recipe, they looked delicious!

Linda – thanks for your comments, with the buttercream its the age old problem of how juicy the berries are! – you're right thicken it up with icing sugar if its too liquid xx

9. Sarah Robbins says:

Hi Ruth

I'm so glad you've started this blog! I'm so impressed you manage to do it with such a busy family. I've just set up a community cafe in my village and have introduced everyone to beautiful cupcakes. i'd like to try making 'whoopies' but can only find US-based recipes. Can you suggest a British one?

Thank you! x