Perfect Pancake – How To….

It’s very nearly Shrove Tuesday and with it comes the necessity to make pancakes!  It’s always good to have a fool proof batter recipe and instructions and here it is…

200g plain flour
pinch of salt
2 eggs, large
600ml milk

The batter will make approx 12 x 20cm pancakes depending on the thickness you prefer them.

My recipe comes from a well used copy of this BeRo book – my Grandma got this book for me many many years ago and it’s brilliant – actually Morrisons sell a remodelled version for just 99p on the home bake aisle.

Sift the flour into a bowl or batter jug.  I prefer to use the jug as it’s easier to pour into your frying pan.

Add the pinch of salt and make a well in the centre.

Crack the eggs into the well in the flour and using a fork beat them slightly.

Add in the milk a little at a time keep beating with the fork incorporating the flour slowly.

Keep adding and beating until all the milk has been added.  The batter should be the consistency of single cream – and without any lumps!

I remember my Mum letting us in the kitchen to fry and flip pancakes – she must have had nerves of steel.  My children and frying pans is a fraught experience to say the least!

But here we go!

I’m lucky enough to be using a Swiss Diamond pan which needs no fat adding (amazing but true!).  Otherwise I would normally add a teaspoon of lard.  Butter or veg oil will work fine too.

Heat the pan till it is nice and hot – not full pelt on the hob but about three quarters power.  Okay that’s not specific but you’ll know what I mean!

Pour a small amount of batter into the frying pan.  Swirling the batter around gently to fill the pan.  I like my pancakes quite thick and not wafer thin – but go with whatever floats your boat.

Now leave it alone – the temptation is very great to start poking with a spatula but don’t.

The pancake will start to change colour as it cooks through – from milky pale to an opaque yellowy white (my descriptions in this post are making me laugh already – you don’t get this in cook books do you?)

Wait wait wait until only the middle is still the orignal batter colour – about the size of a fifty pence piece.  Now loosen the edges of the pancake using a thin spatula.

You should be able to swish the pancake back and forth in the pan.  Now your ready to flip – be brave and go for it.  Once flipped they only need about a minute in the pan to brown nicely and finish cooking through.

Unfortunately I can’t make pancakes, photograph and flip at the same time, but trust me I did – even in the kitchen on my own with no audience to whoop and clap!

I make pancakes during the day when the boys are out and then let them heat them up and flip them in the pan after tea on pancake day.  Once cooled pancakes keep perfectly in the fridge and can even be frozen.

Cut up some squares of greaseproof paper and use them between the pancakes as you cook and stack.

Keep pancaking until all the batter is used up, adding extra oil or butter as necessary to grease the pan.  I bet you your last pancake will be the best of the bunch so make sure that one’s yours.

Lemon juice and sugar, orange or my favourite cherry pie filling and vanilla ice cream – how do you like yours?  (not stuck to the ceiling is a good start)

For more info on the pans visit http://www.swissdiamond.com/ and for a printable recipe you can find it here Printable Recipe – Perfect Pancakes

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Pancakes, Shrove Tuesday, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Perfect Pancake – How To….

1. B says:

I occasionally visit your blog but this is my first time commenting. I just had to say that I smiled with understanding when you commented that you couldn't flip pancakes and take photos at the same time. I've not tried to do that but I have had some interesting experiences trying to sift flour and take photos. The joys of photos for blogging!

2. EddyRose says:

Lovely, lovely, lovely! I have to admit i'm a sucker for Nutella & cinnamon on mine!

3. Liz Faulkner says:

fab, will be trying that next week! Lemon and sugar is my favourite and probably Nutella and banana for my daughter :)

4. Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

Oh to be organised enough to have squares of parchment ready to pop between each one! Now I know where I've been going wrong…. Mind you, it doesn't stop people eating them before you've finished cooking them does it?

5. PlumLeaf 李葉 says:

OooooOh! Pancakes! Hubbs fav!

Love that Be-Ro book, mum had one in her kitchen drawer and it was well thumbed, I used to love leafing through it and dreaming of all the creations I wanted to make! I was pleased to see it in Morrisons and got myself a copy – and as mum lost hers, she updated herself too!

milky pale – opaque yellowy white – you might not get those instructions in cook books but that's why I follow so many of your recipes and that's why I'd buy a cook book written by you Ruth, as I'm sure would many others!
    Thanks for the recipe – I love my BeRo book too and it is the book I use most often, their flapjacks are fabulous!
    Kathleen
    Happy pancake day!

7. Susan's blog says:

That Be Ro book has some lovely recipes in it…well worth buying…

Lovely pancakes!

8. Celeste says:

I love the be-ro recipe book, I have the same version as you and an old 50th anniversary edition. It's my baking bible.

I learnt a fantastic trick to save me constantly adding fat to stop the pancakes sticking.
    Heat up the fat, slightly more than you would for 1 pancake, but not much more. When it's nice and hot add that to the pancake mixture.
    Stir well and then make your pancakes as normal. You'll be able to make the whole batch without adding any extra fat to the pan.

9. PinkCat says:

Cherry pie filling – yum! Shrove Tuesday here I come! x

10. Sally - My Custard Pie says:

What an excellent post. I adore pancakes and like you learnt to love them through my Mum cooking a whole stack (including the flipping) on Shrove Tuesday – which we ate with relish.

11. Aveen says:

Hurrah for Be-Ro! The lime and coconut loaf is to die for. My copy is one of the dirtiest cookbooks in my collection as it's been used so much.

I'm a bit old school and like my pancakes thin with loads of lemon and sugar. Or Nutella, if I'm feeling naughty!

I like melted cadbury choc (correctian i love it lol)

13. ju24 says:

Great post – it made the whole process really clear and made me smile too :)

14. frocksandgiggles says:

Aw the Be-Ro Bible! (My Mum gave me hers but it's barley readable from the batter splatters throughout it!) I'm making this recipe right now, but I'm having poached pears with my pancakes yum :)

15. Kim says:

Yum! I'm using this recipe to make mine tonight, thank you for sharing! I've never made pancakes before and am going for simple lemon & sugar, with some chocolate pancakes for dessert!

16. traceyh says:

i used this recipe yesterday ruth,
    hubby loves pancakes,had his with lemon and sugar.
    i had a dollop of chocolate spread which melted nicely ….they were a flipping success !:)
    thanks to your recipe.xx

17. everythingbutthekitchen says:

I have that very same book from my dear Grandma and I love it. Fab recipe and fab pancakes!

18. Megan says:

I Love the Be-ro book! Ive got it too! my Grandma had it, and then she bought a copy for all her children and so I’ve used my Mother’s for ages, and I recently bought my own from Morrisons! Great book!

19. Pingback: Scotch Pancakes | Baking, Recipes and Tutorials - The Pink Whisk