Day 8 – Baileys Pastry Mince Pies

On the eighth day of Christmas The Pink Whisk sent to me…..Baileys Pastry Mince Pies – oh yes indeed!

Baileys Mince Pies

I didn’t think you could beat mince pies made with zesty pastry (recipe here)  turns out you can – with Baileys Pastry!  Oh why didn’t I think of you before!

Makes 12 Mince Pies

Baileys Pastry

225g plain flour

100g butter

90-100ml Baileys

1 x jar of Mincemeat.

You know by now I make pastry in the food processor – it’s a toss up between it getting made quicker and in washing up the processor bow (*cough* making room in the dishwasher).  If you like making by hand then be my guest!

Add the flour to the bowl of the processor.  Add the butter and pulse until the butter is rubbed in and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Add in the caster sugar and pulse to mix.

Now measure out the Baileys – its Christmas after all so a quick tipple for you wouldn’t go amiss!

If you don’t want to give up all your Baileys to the pies you could mix it half and half with water (but not for drinking obviously – that’s sacrilege)

With the processor running start to add the Baileys through the chute until the pastry comes together. The pastry should be a lovely toffee colour and will smell divine!

Gather together the pastry and knead lightly into a ball.

Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for half an hour.

Once the pastry has rested preheat the oven to 180c (fan)/200c/Gas Mark 5.

Grease the recesses of a shallow bun tin.

Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface, fairly thinly, resisting the urge to munch a piece as you go.

Using a round cutter cut out enough circles to line the bases of the pies.  Set onto the tin and press down gently to shape.

Fill each pie with mincemeat.

Re-roll the pastry trimmings if necessary and cut out lids for the mince pies using a slightly smaller round cutter.

With a wet finger dampen the edge of the base pieces of pastry and place the tops in position.

Gently seal together the edges using your fingers.

For a nifty crimped edge take a cutlery spoon and using the wrong end press it across ways towards you fingers as shown in the picture. Repeat all the way around the top of the pie.

Sometimes when I need to use both hands and take a photo I have to rope in my husband – he’s useless with a camera, drives me to distraction and everything takes an age – this is what he drives me too – I’m not adding the photo to the post, you’ll see why (don’t worry it’s not rude), click on the link.  He was being an idiot and I pulled this face at him!

Picture here.

Make a steam hole in the top of each pie and glaze with egg wash (again lazy Ruth is using the spray).

Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until golden and fully cooked.

Allow to cool in the tray for ten minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

You could just eat them warm – dust with icing sugar (it’s compulsory to breathe it in and nearly choke). The only thing that’s going to make these any better is a good dollop ofBaileys Cream!

Baileys Mince Pies

Baileys Mince Pies

This entry was posted in Christmas, Pastry, Pie, Treats, Twelve Days of Christmas. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Day 8 – Baileys Pastry Mince Pies

1. Jess says:

These sound like literally the best thing ever!

xo

2. Roisin says:

Not a fan of mince pies, but I think I see baileys pastry chocolate tarts somewhere in my future…

3. Annie says:

That is possibly the most fantastic thing I have ever seen!!!

4. Kitty says:

Inspired! What could be better? Will give these a try. I make my pastry the same way as you, I tried substituting icing sugar for caster last time and though it tasted lovely it was just too sticky to roll out without sheets of parchment either side, so it’s back to caster sugar now!

5. Keeley says:

Wow – I have somehow got two bottles of Baileys at home (how on earth did that happen) and was planning on making my very first mince pies this weekend so now it’ll have to be this recipe!

[And that photo of you is 1) unrecognisable and 2) very, very scary…]

6. tracey says:

oh wow ruth these look and sound fab !
    will be making these later today!
    thanks for all the lovely recipes xx

7. Dominic says:

oh wow, this is genius… i’ve made my own mincemeat this year and I’ve been scouting around for some pastry to go with it and I think I have a winner!… I made some last year and got over-creative with the pastry which came out like rubber so I am nervous… i’m sure these will be wonderful x

8. Baileys pastry?? *Thinks of the many recipes that could be improved with that!*

9. I swear I put a pound on just reading that title! Stop it Ruth!!!

10. Susan Easton says:

That looks like a lovely recipe…and will try it as it will go down a storm here…but the photo!!! LOL
    Just reminds me of my hubby, takes far too long taking a picture…the smiles worn off by the time he clicks! x

11. Mieke says:

Hi Ruth, Can I bother you with yet another question from overseas? I’m excecuting quite a few of your recipes now, still busy feeding the big christmas cake. Can’t wait how it turns out. Now, these pies sound delicious, I’m a big fan of Baileys!, but these kind of pies are an unknown phenomen overhere. So, no chance of picking up a jar of mincemeat. I did find a recipe at Delia online but is sounds quite a job getting it done yourself. Is there an alternative stuffing you would use with kind of pies? All the best and thanks for the inspiring posts! Mieke from Holland

12. Bex says:

When you were talking about the eggwash, you said you used a spray… can I ask what spray this is? The pies in your photos have a beautiful sheen and I’m loathe to sacrifice eggs for a glaze and normally use milk (which doesn’t do so well but is much cheaper!)

• Yep, it’s Dr Oetker egg glaze spray – you can get it from the Baking Aisle in most Sainsburys and Tescos – I think I featured it in the Pastry Spoons post if you want to have a look at the cannister x

13. Alison Inglis says:

I’m definitely making these tomorrow, was going to do them today, but got a bit waylaid doing a tidy up!! I usually make my pastry using an unconventional method, will send it to you if you’re interested, but this one is too tempting not to try. As for the picture, mmmmm not a good look lol we all have pics like that somewhere x

14. EmmaMT says:

Ingenious. These recipes are getting better and better. Thanks Ruth

P.S. You look mega thin in your pic. I think you need to eat more of these mince pies! !

15. LINDSEY says:

My mouth is watering just reading the recipe. Baileys is just my favourite tipple and this is a match made in heaven. Going to try this today and surprise my good friend with whom I often share a baileys or 2!!!!!!!!1

16. Eileen Wightman says:

Yum, Yum, these pies sound delicious….I must have a go at that pastry…thanks Ruth. Now the piccy….oh boy! was that scary LOL if you hadn’t told us it was you I would never have guessed.
    LOL Eileen

17. Lisa says:

Hey Ruth, in the middle of making the above pastry is great…. But was thinking can I freeze them? Thanks x

18. Katie K says:

Hi Ruth these are amazing! Just made a batch of mini ones with my daughter and how we managed not to eat all the pastry raw I do not know! She will sleep well tonight … and by the way the smell from the oven was divine! Thanks.

19. Jayne says:

Cooked these at the weekend I would never have thought of using baileys in pastry they are lovely
    Thanks for the recipe Ruth

20. Lyn says:

Thanks Ruth, these are just about to come out of the oven, they are smelling divine. I used Baileys Biscotti which has just been released on the market here. What an easy recipe! This is a trial batch for hubby and I and another batch will be made for Christmas Day!
    Love your site and recipes.

21. Pingback: 12 Days of Christmas 2011 | Baking, Recipes and Tutorials - The Pink Whisk

22. sue says:

I’ve just made these but we can’t really taste the Baileys in the finished product! Nice crisp short pastry that browns well though, but for me it was a waste of baileys

23. Rob H says:

Baileys in pastry, what a wonderful idea! I’m going to make some for my Christmas party tomorrow. My only slight concern is the amount of liquid – adding 100ml of fluid seems like an awful lot for a dozen pies, but I trust you!

24. Amanda H says:

Have just made a batch of these with my son (well he pulsed the pastry in the machine!!), they are currently baking and i just cannot wait to try one… Yummy, thanks Ruth x

25. Cathy says:

Hi Ruth,

I awlays have trouble with the mince pies bubbling over even if they have been sealed liked yours. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas, Catherine

26. Mel says:

Oh, Baileys pastry sounds ace.

My mince pies were vegan this year, but nonetheless tasty for it. I made my ownmincemeat as well, which helped. I added some brandy and extra nuts to the mincemeat before baking. I never thought about Baileys, but I will be giving this pastry a go for sure

27. Pingback: Frangipane Topped Mini Mince Pies Made With Baileys Pastry | homemadebyfleur.co.uk

28. Pingback: Merry Christmas! A few foodie gifts and festive baking | Cookie's cakes and bakes