Sugarveil – A How To… Part 2

Removing from the Mat

First up lay a sheet of non-stick baking paper just over twice the size of the mat on the worksurface.  I have done it directly onto the worktop which resulted in the sheet sticking to it like glue,  after all that hard work you don’t need that!

Flip the mat Sugarveil down onto the paper.

Gently release one short edge of the Sugarveil about 1 cm.

Now place the spreader onto the lace to pin it down.  Make sure it’s holding it down securely along the full length otherwise it will start to rip.

Gently does it, begin to peel away the mat from the Sugarveil.  A couple of inches at a time, then move the spreader up to hold it securely again and then repeat.

All the way along the Sugarveil a couple of inches at a time.

Take extra special care as you reach the end.

Phew, sheet out of mat… I lost the last bit of corner :(

Storing Sugarveil Sheet & Mixture

Reposition the lace on the baking paper and fold the paper around it.

It needs to be stored away from the air so that it doesn’t dry out and will stay flexible.  I found A3 document wallets from an Arts & Crafts shop the best thing for it.  Store them flat squeezing out the air from the plastic wallet and folding over the end.

For the wedding cake I ran out lots of Sugarveil sheets, storing them all in one wallet each sheet wrapped in baking paper.

2 weeks is the maximum I managed to store them for.  The sheets that waited for me for 3 weeks had dried out too much and simply cracked to pieces and was quite obviously unusable.

Store any unused mixture in a bowl covered in clingfilm at room temperature, it will keep for 10 days or so but needs to be stirred every other day.  I found when stored in the fridge it dried out far too quickly and became unusable.  Re-mix the Sugarveil for a full minute each time before filling a mat.

One 142g sachet should fill 8 mats worth.  You can see why people sell them for £8-10 for a full sheet on eBay, the amount of work that goes into getting a full sheet out!

Sugarveil takes practice, perseverance, patience and time.  It’s not an easy product to use but once you get the knack you’re away.

I guarantee you will tear your hair out finding the best drying spot and will end up with sheets like this while you practice.  Don’t give up!

Even ripped sheets can be used for all sorts so don’t just throw them out.  Fill your mat and go again.

There’s a couple of good places online to buy Sugarveil supplies from Cake Decorating Company and MakeBake.co.uk

There are also a lot of YouTube videos using Sugarveil too if you’re feeling inspired to give it a go

Next post will cover how to use Sugarveil on your cake – I think that’s enough to be going on with for now!

This entry was posted in Decorating, How To, Sugarpaste. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Sugarveil – A How To… Part 2

1. Jules says:

Such an amazing looking product, as you say perfect for wedding cakes. I wonder if the mixture could be used for anything else.

• You can pipe it from a piping bag too in the design of your choice and I’m currently making complete sheets of it scattering them with different sized dragees to see how it works…

2. Lynne Lee-Diep says:

Crikey! That is amazing!
    Am not brave enough (or mad enough!) to give that a try! But thank you for tutorial and congratulations on doing an excellent job on your sister’s wedding cake!

3. Niamh says:

Excellent timing Ruth – wedding cake practice is ALL I have planned for the bank holiday :-). Thanks so much x

4. Charlotte Graves says:

Woah! Ruth!
    What a brilliant tutorial.

5. Zoe Smith says:

Fantastic tutorial ! I bought some a few weeks ago but haven’t dared use it yet. Thanks for taking the time to create such a great post.x x

6. Sheila says:

That is easier looking than I thought Ruth, but still so impressive and way above me and I love cooking :). You have done a splendid job.

7. Grace says:

Oh my goodness, that is so beautiful and clever! Thanks for all of the little details Ruth, definitely going to have to give this a go at some point!

8. Karen macdonald says:

Too complicated for me Ruth, but enjoyed reading about how to make it!. Your lace looks gorgeous, but I think I’d be tempted to buy some pretty lace material and save myself a nervous breakdown! You are very talented.

9. Bernice says:

WOW! looks so impressive. I particularly like the ‘little helper hands’. Very sweet. Your talents know no bounds. x

10. Roxy says:

Hi Ruth, I learn so much from your tutorials, thanks! Your sister’s cake looked beautiful btw!

11. mild says:

wow! this is some hard work but the result is gorgeous!

12. Hi, i found this very helpful, thank you. i’m attempting sugarveil for my friends wedding cake and starting to practice now to get the hang of it for the real thing in February!!

13. anne says:

I recently purchased sugarveil for the first time after seeing a u-tube video,to complete a wedding cake. Found the enclosed instructions a bit unhelpful regarding storage, because I needed several sheets to complete what I wanted to do, and was unsure as to how long the mix would keep, or how to store the sheets and how long they keep before use. Your video answered all my questions, and also showed me that it can go wrong for other people too !

14. anne says:

Sorry, forgot to say THANK YOU !!!