Day 9 – Cappuccino Truffles

DSC03653

A perfect after dinner treat, deliciously simple to make but dark, rich and packing a coffee punch.  The white chocolate coating adds a lovely creamy touch just like a Cappuccino! Here are my tips for making, shaping and coating the best truffles around.

300g dark chocolate, chopped

250ml double cream

1 shot of espresso (40ml strong coffee)

250g white chocolate to coat

Dusting of cocoa powder

Makes: Approx 50 truffles (that sounds a lot, but actually if you’re giving them as gifts they don’t go hugely far – certainly after allowing for quality control!

Start off by making the coffee ganache as the base for the truffles. Chop the dark chocolate and set to one side.

Warm the cream and espresso in a pan gently until just below boiling point.  Take it off the heat and add the chopped chocolate.

Christmas 1 070 Christmas 1 072

Allow to stand for 2 minutes before stirring into a smooth glossy ganache.

Christmas 1 073 Christmas 1 074

Transfer the ganache to a clean bowl, cover and allow to cool until it gets to smooth pipeable consistency.

Christmas 1 075

Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

Fill a disposable piping bag with the ganache and snip off the end.

Christmas 1 094

Pipe out even sized amounts of ganache across the sheet until all the ganache has been used.

Christmas 1 095

Flatten the peaks on them using a damp fingertip.  Now put them into the fridge to chill for 1 hour.

Christmas 1 097

Once they are chilled it’s time to roll them into balls.  Line the tray with a clean sheet of baking paper and roll each truffle between the palms of your hands to shape it into a nice smooth round ball.

Christmas 1 129

Repeat until all the truffles are nice and round.  You can wear disposable gloves or you will need to wash your hands repeatedly as you roll.

Chill them in the fridge again for 30 minutes to firm up again.

Melt the white chocolate gently in a small bowl.  For the coating you will need disposable gloves, a spoon and a clean tray lined with non-stick paper.

Truffles 004

Taking one ganache ball at a time place it in the palm of your hand and add a spoonful of melted white chocolate.  Turn the ganache ball to coat it in the white chocolate and then set it onto the clean lined tray.

Truffles 009

Truffles 007 Truffles 011

Work your way through until all the ganache balls have been coated.  Depending on how well the truffles were coated you may want to coat each one of them again.

Once the coating chocolate has set simply dust them with a little cocoa powder and serve!

Don’t forget to save me one (or two!)

DSC03641

Cappuccino Truffles

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in Chocolate, Coffee, Gifts, How To, Treats, Twelve Days of Christmas. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Day 9 – Cappuccino Truffles

1. Bernice says:

Oh Ruth, these are my hubbies favourite so I can finally make them for him – thank you. You are a star. I love these 12 days of Christmas x

2. Could I add ornage extract instead of expresso?

3. P.s how long will they last if I didnt eat them?!

4. julie homer says:

fantastic Ruth 🙂
    brilliant tips thank you so much 🙂 x

5. Rachel Brown says:

How long will these last for (theoretically)?

6. Helena says:

How long do these truffles keep for and what other flavourings could i use?

7. Linda says:

How long will they last – refrigerated/unrefrigerated if I want to give as a gift?

8. Jenny says:

Hi Ruth These look absolutely scrumptious but I have just one very silly question. How long will they keep?? I’m thinking about giving them as gifts so thought I should ask. Also, should they be stored in the fridge until just before eating?? OK two questions! Thanks for all your lovely recipes. Jenny

9. Pauline Park says:

Made these this afternoon. Had trouble with the White chocolate bit as the truffles began to melt but saved the day by rolling them in cocoa too. They taste fab.

10. Liz McNee says:

I fully intend to try these this coming week and I am going to try this with some orange essence to make choc/orange truffle. Do you think that will work.?
    I hope so. I intend to give them wrapped as little stocking fillers. Get me with my big ideas!!!
    Liz living in hopes of doing this !!

11. Claire says:

These look amazing! Could you possibly tell me how long they keep for, and whether you need to store them in the fridge?

12. Thank you for the piping bag tip – I have never had much luck making truffles but feel inspired to give them another try.

13. allison still says:

Hello, sorry to bother you, unfortunately I can’t see any other comments, so not sure if you have already been asked a thousand times… What is the shelf life please on these beauties? Thanking you. Alli

14. Kirsty says:

These sound lovely! Is it possible to make these in advance i.e. freeze the chocolate ganache? Thank you. 🙂

15. Dawn Linfield says:

Could you add a liquor instead of coffee

16. Helen long says:

What percentage of cocoa in dark chocolate would work best? Thanks ruth

17. Karen says:

How many teaspoons of espresso would I need to make a strong solution?. Thanks

18. Fiona Dobson says:

Help. I used extra light double cream and the ganache is not setting even though I have had it in the fridge. I take it I was supposed to use full fat double cream in this recipe!!

• Hi Fiona, the cream shouldn’t make too much difference but the chocolate used can change how it sets – to rescue it you will need to add more melted chocolate and warm it gently in a pan to combine, then it should set for you x

19. toni says:

Can I use a coffee liqueur instead of coffee or will it curdle the cream?

20. SuperSue says:

Hi
    I am at stage 2 balls rolled, & milky bar button choice melting slow on the Aga top. I want to give these to my mother-in-law, i am making her a home made hamper. Worried how to keep them from melting, I am putting them in a see-through bag, then in a wicker hamper. How am i best to keep them when wrapped?

21. James Taylor says:

Two tips and a question, having just made these:
    – tip #1 the ganache takes a long time to cool to a pipeable consistency (over 2 hours for me). Worth knowing before you start; it’s not mentioned above.
    – tip #2 leave the molten white chocolate to cool a lot before attempting to coat the ganache balls. Wait until it’s almost back to room temperature, though still sufficiently liquid. That way it’ll coat the balls nicely, won’t melt them (as someone found above), and will set on them more quickly.
    – question: my ganache began to separate a little, resulting in a slightly grainy texture. Anyone have any tips for avoiding this? Was the cream too hot when I added the chocolate? Thanks!

22. HB says:

Hi, can I add instant coffee granules to the cream when I heat it? Instead of using espresso as I haven’t any. Thanks in advance! Xx