Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding

Self saucing chocolate pudding

What could be better than a chocolate pudding with lashings of chocolate sauce?  Well in my book, not too much! To add to the fact that this choc pud is just fantastic you can whip it up and have it in the oven in 10 minutes flat, it really is that easy.  Treat yourself this weekend and rustle one up!

225g self raising flour

1 tsp baking powder

50g cocoa powder

100g butter, melted

200ml milk

3 eggs, large

300ml boiling water

200g light muscovado sugar

25g cocoa powder

100g mixed chocolate chips (completely optional, this pud is great even without the extra choc!)

Serves: 6

Preheat the oven to 160c(fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.

Grease an ovenproof dish with a little butter ( I’m using one that’s approx. 8” x 8”)

DSC_8756

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

DSC_8747

Whisk together the milk and the eggs,  pour them over the dry ingredients along with the melted butter.

DSC_8749 DSC_8750

Now mix it up!

DSC_8752

Stir in the chocolate chips and then transfer the whole lot to the buttered dish.

DSC_8754 DSC_8759

In a jug mix together the boiling water, light muscovado sugar and the cocoa powder.

DSC_8760 DSC_8761

Pour it over the cake mixture in the dish, yes, I know that’s a bit weird and it looks odd.  You’ll just have to trust me!

DSC_8765

Now into the oven for 35 minutes.

Just like magic the cake bakes and a chocolate sauce forms underneath.

DSC_8768

Serve it up hot or cold, with a good dollop of ice cream or a glug of cream.

Self saucing chocolate pudding

Perfect!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in Cake, Children, Chocolate, Kids, Pudding, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding

1. Hi Ruth,

Welcome back! I was only thinking about you this morning when I was making brownies for the weekend so, this will have to wait until next week. It looks gorgeous!! Hope you are ok x

2. HELEN says:

i’m always amazed at self saucing puds – they go in the oven looking awful, but come out beautiful!

3. Serves six? The other five will have to fight me for it!

I have the ingredients in the pantry and I’m having this tonight for certain. I may just skip the main course altogether. I will let you know how I get on. Maybe I can knock a minute or two off that ridiculously lengthy preparation time!

4. Pauline Moulsdale says:

Thank you, this was known as anti-matter pudding in the family as it looked like star trak’s antimatter. I had lost the recipe so I will make it gain at weekend

5. Nancy says:

Hi Ruth, do you pour the water mixture on whilst it’s still hot or wait for it to cool? Thank you : D

6. Marion Johnston says:

My mother in law used ti make a similar dessert with lemon. Would you have a recipe for that. I’m A rare bird I don’t like chocolate!
    Thanks for all your lovely recipes.

• I don’t at the moment Marion – I did try a straight conversion with this recipe, and it does work but I found it to be just ‘alright’, the recipe needs a bit of work – will let you know when I get it just right! x

7. Caroline says:

Does this have to stand in a baking tray of water to bake like the lemon one or just put the dish in the oven? Thanks, Caroline

8. Jo sharp says:

Hi Ruth,
    If I make this a day ahead will it still be saucy do you think if I warm it through?

• Hi Jo – Yes it’s still saucy! The sauce thickens up on cooling though and the sponge does absorb a little of it but its still delicious warmed up the day after – you have to be quick here to sneak a portion the next day! x

9. Pingback: Pink Whisk Miracle Upside-Down Chocolate Pudding | Heart to Home

10. Pingback: Gluten Free – Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding | Ukjohnd.com

11. ukjohnd says:

Thanks Ruth, converted great to a gluten free version,

12. Kelly Metcalf says:

Hi Ruth,
    I’m making this when friends come over for dinner…. Is it ok to prepare everything a few hours ahead then just pop in the oven when needed? Or is it best to just do the sponge ingredients ahead and only pour over the sauce just before going in the oven?
    Thanks a lot,
    Kelly

13. Tracey Holden says:

Hi ruth…I just wanted to say I made this pud today, and it was amazing a big hit with my family. Thanks for sharing another fab recipe ! X

14. Andrea says:

Do you think adding de-frozen cherries would work with this recipe? Thought I might add them to the sponge mix before adding the water?

15. Juliet says:

Fab recipe again! I keep finding exactly what I want on your web page. And this time it was a quick, straight forward recipe for Sunday lunch pudding that tastes delicious. Thank you.