Black Forest Berry Brownies

Here’s something super special and super easy to bakeBlack Forest Berry Brownies

200g Dark Chocolate (Bournville works really well and won’t break the bank either)
140g Butter
225g Sugar
2tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs
1 Egg Yolk
85g Plain Flour
200g Frozen Black Forest Fruit Berries (Sainsburys)

You will need a baking tray with deep sides approx. 23cm x 23cm

Line it with baking paper.

Preheat the oven to  200C/180C Fan/400F/Gas Mark 6

Melt the chocolate and butter in a pan over a low heat.  Purists at this point would tell you you should do it in a bowl above a pan of boiling water but if you’re careful and like the quick way stick with me and chuck it in the pan.

Once its all melted remove from the heat and set aside to cool just a little bit.  If you use it too hot the eggs you’re about to add are going to cook in the hot sauce so be patient.

Stir in the sugar and the mixture will go quite grainy.

Add in the beaten egg and yolk and mix to combine.  Finally add in the flour and give it a good old mix up.

Once thoroughly combined pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan.

Now scatter over the top of the brownie mix all of the frozen berries.

If you can get fresh berries brilliant it will work exactly the same way but somehow late at night when I NEED to bake brownies there is not a fresh berry in sight.  Sainsburys do a great range of frozen berries and the Black Forest Fruits has blackberries, blackcurrants, black grapes and black cherries.  I’ve always got some in the freezer.  Anyway, back to it…

Now, straight into the oven for around 35 minutes until just cooked, the middle should have just lost it’s wobble.  Brownies are far better undercooked as the heat in them will carry on the cooking process as it cools and you don’t want dry horrible brownies – just make sure the wobble has just about gone!

Cool in the tin.  When cold, cut into slices and serve.

Black Forest Berry Brownies
Ruth Clemens BakerRuth Clemens, Baker Extraordinaire

This entry was posted in Blackberry, Cake, Chocolate, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Black Forest Berry Brownies

These are absolutely gorgeous!

2. cupcakejojo says:

Oh my goodness these sound scrummy! I'm going to have to make some! :o)

You make everything sound so easy, I'm going to put it to the test and make these tonight!

4. Charlotte says:

These are amazing! I've made them twice since the weekend!

Hi ruth its Tracey's sister Lisa. I made these when i was staying with Tracey and Al. They are soo nice and it's impossible to stop eating them. The berries go so well with dark chocolate, i will definately be making these again soon :)

6. Kate S says:

I love anything Black foresty, I will try these soon and feedback. Great website and I was rooting for u in the bake off!

7. Lyn G says:

Me too, I wanted you to win. Off to try these brownies today after a failed attempt with another recipe yesterday ;)

Just baked these using frozen black cherries instead of the berry mix and they have turned out fab

I wanted you to win and these brownies will be my desert for Christmas in Germany. They look absolutely perfect!!!!
    Bianca

10. Jacqui says:

Looks like a superb recipe – will give it a go. We have an orchard and a freezer full of cherries and blackberries amongst other fruits. I am always looking for recipes to add the fruit to. Thanks.

Hi Ruth, when do I add in the vanilla extract?

Sorry – add the vanilla and stir through after the sugar x

13. hann says:

it was between these and the hummingbird recipe, but thought id give yours, ruth, a go. goodness me this stuff is delicious. i used a smaller tray, however didnt cook it for longer to compensate. it was a chewy, hot, slightly set goo, with the sweet berries leaked through every spoonful. Proper gorgeous.

they are fab, thank you for the recipe!

Made these over the weekend as they sounded really scrummy. However not sure what went wrong. After 35 minutes in oven on gas mark 6, they were still very 'wobbly', left them in for a further 10 mins and they burnt. The 2nd lot, decided to go to gas mark 5 for 45 mins, very much like an uncooked cake mixture. What did I do wrong? I've never had any success with making brownies. Any ideas? Thank you

I think by the sounds of it the first lot would have been right, they are a bit wobbly when they come out, the fruit on the top makes it more so but they do continue to cook once removed from the oven.
    I too was never a good brownie baker until I came up with this recipe!
    If you're still in doubt invest in an oven thermometer to check your oven runs to the correct temperature – most non-commercial ovens are very variable – which makes us all think we can't bake! (mine included) x

17. Michelle K says:

This is absolutely divine. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I going to make these for a bake and buy at my niece's school, hopefully they will turn out well as I haven't made them before

Hi Ruth, just recently found your website and love it! I want to make your Berry Brownies, however only have a 21cm square cake tin, will this be ok to use, and just leave the brownies if for a bit longer? Keep up the great work you do, you are an inspiration to any would be baker. x

A 21cm tin will be fine and won't need much time adjustment at all, maybe five minutes xx

These are just sooo ridiculously good- first time I made them I didn't bother with lining the tin and cooked them a bit too long but had another go this morning, did exactly what Ruth said to do, and they were fabulous! Also thoroughly recommend the Choc Pudding Teacups – made them for a gathering of girlfriends and they went down a storm.

22. trista says:

Hi Ruth, this is really a good recipe. I have tried it last night, and my roommate and I just love it so much. We have one small question though. As my friend and I love to eat rocky road, so we wonder if we could put a bit of marshmallow in this recipe. Or do you have any good recipe for rocky road? Thanks so much! (P.S. We both are your biggest fan in the British Bake Off.)

23. Rhiannon says:

Hi
    I made these this morning. Left them to cool and cut them up, licking the knife and thinking how yummy they are…..
    Went into the fridge at lunch time and saw a pack of butter and realised I completely forgot to put the butter in!!!

I dont kow how I managed it and how they still turned out fine and taste very nice!
    oooops

24. Sue says:

These looks fabulous and just my kind of brownie!!! Will try at the weekend. Thanks x

25. Chris says:

Made these for Christmas. They are FANTASTIC! Yummy as a desert with cream too!
    Thank you for the great (and easy) recipe Ruth and for an excellent baking course at Seasoned last month

26. Pingback: Brownie Baking with Lurpak and a Giveaway | Baking, Recipes and Tutorials - The Pink Whisk

27. Karen Roberts says:

I’m definately going to make these tomorrow! Thank you Ruth! x

28. Rachel Priday says:

These are absolutely delicious, and so so easy! Thank you, as ever!

29. Ranita says:

Dear Ruth,

Do you think I could sub the frozen fruit with tinned cherries? Drained of course. Thanks.

30. Pingback: Pink Whisk Black Forest Berry Brownies | www.kungfoodie.net

31. Pingback: Top 5 … Food Bloggers | Seasoned Blog

32. angelina ogle says:

My brownies always sink in the middle after 10 mins of coming out of the oven. Any idea why? ta

33. Pingback: Berry Brownies with Sea Salt Caramel | Kitty's Kitchen

34. Pingback: What is in the cake tin? | Westwick Dreaming

35. Kate says:

Made these yesterday, I kind of love you and hate you all at the same same :-D they are awesome! I undercooked mine slightly, for the tin I used I should have turned the temp down slightly and cooked them slightly longer, they were crisp and chewy at the edges and super gooey in the middle. I renamed it black forest brownie pudding and just pretended they were supposed to be mega gooey :-) I will be making these again very soon, thanks for the recipe xx

36. julie homer says:

Hi Ruth
    would this recipe still work if i omit the berries?
    as my son only wants choc brownies :)