Ice Cream Cone Cakes

Anyone for ice-cream?  Prefer some cake?  - Hooray it’s both!

Ice-cream Cone Cakes – perfect for a little one’s birthday party.  Who am I kidding??- Perfect whoever you are and whenever you feel like it!  No complicated trickery involved these really are super easy.  What are you waiting for…get on with it!

12 Ice-cream cones with flat bases
200g Butter
200g Caster Sugar
4 Eggs
200g Self Raising Flour
2 tsp Vanilla Extract

For the icing:

225g Butter
450g Icing Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
1 tbsp Milk

1 box of mini Chocolate Flakes
Plus a variety of cake sprinkles and ice-cream sauces – whatever takes your fancy!

Preheat the oven to 180c/160c Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4.

Prepare your baking pans, Use a muffin tin, one of the large type variety.  Cut out 12 foil squares you will need them to be about 15cm square each.  Press n one foil square into each hole.  Next place your empty icecream cones onto each foil piece, shape the overhanging foil around the cone to create a support and keep them standing upright.  You don’t need to be too neat with this just make sure they feel supported and aren’t going to topple over the minute you go to put them in the oven.

Make your cake mixture by creaming together the butter and sugar.  Once light and fluffy add the vanilla extract and then one egg at a time making sure it is well mixed after each addition.  Any sign of the mixture curdling add a tablespoon of the flour.

Once all the eggs are incorporated mix in the flour.

Fill each cone approx 2/3rds full.

Bob them into the oven for 18-20 minutes until fully cooked and a skewer comes out clean.

Magic – the cones don’t burn or go soggy from the mixture and you have beautifully cooked cakes!

Allow them to cool and then on with the decorating.  Make up the buttercream by beating the butter to ensure it is super soft, then beat in the sifted icing sugar along with a tablespoon of milk and the vanilla bean paste.

Add the butttercream to a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe the Mr Whippy effect on top of the cakes.  But we’re not done yet!

Take a mini flake and push it through the buttercream into the cake.  I found they were just a smidgen to long so I cut a 2cm piece of each to make them the right size.

Unfortunately you will have to eat all these cut off pieces just like I did (there – my secrets out)!

Finally decorate them with sprinkles or ice-cream sauce – whatever you fancy.

Ice Cream Cone Cakes it’s as easy as that!
Ruth Clemens Baker

Ruth Clemens, Baker Extrordinaire

This entry was posted in Cake, Cupcakes. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Ice Cream Cone Cakes

1. eatingupnorth says:

I love these!!!

Will definitely be giving them a go, very soon!

2. Spiketta says:

Very clever – perfect for kiddie parties – will definitely keep these in mind for the next party for my little girl!

hi
    i saw you on the british bake off…. you so should of won – you where my favourite !!!
    thanks for sharing all your recipes and tips – supa inspired to bake :)

4. Melissa says:

Going to make these for a charity event at work, what butter are you using for the butter cream to get it white, as stork makes a yellowy butter cream?

Thanks

The best butter for really white buttercream is Lurpak unsalted x

Hi Ruth,

Where can you buy vanilla bean paste? I've never heard of it. I'm going to give these little ice cream cakes a go ;-)

7. Rachel says:

Hi Ruth,

How far in advance can you make these? Does the buttercream make the cones go soggy if made the day before?

Loving your blog and can't wait to cook more of your delicious recipes.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Rachel,

I would do these on the same day, however if they are done the day before the cone only softens slightly at the top where it is in contact with the buttercream x

9. Ursula says:

These are a fab idea Ruth! Love the blog
    Ursula

Hi, where are you able to buy flat ice cream cones from as I have been trying to find them everywhere with no luck! Thank you

Tricky at this time of year but they still have them in Morrisons x

12. Catherine says:

This was such a gorgeous idea – thanks so much for sharing. My daughter & I had so much fun making these… & of course eating them too! :)

I featured you on my blog, hope you don't mind.

My 3 1/2 year old Granddaughter loves baking time with Nana and she's going to love baking these when she next comes over. Thanks Ruth!
    xx

I usually syrup my buns a la Peggy Porschen – do you think these would stand up to it? I’m worried about sogginess….

15. Heidi Dickins says:

These look great, and perfect for a friends baby shower.

I am having trouble finding the mini chocolate flakes, any ideas where I can get some from?

16. Heidi dickins says:

Thank you. I managed to find them :).

I’ve just mixed up the buttercream using lurpak spreadable using your measurements but it looks really sloppy. Any ideas how i can use this?

I have placed it in the fridge to try and thicken it

17. Helen Marsh says:

What a fabulous idea!!!!!! Im a school cook at a primary school and as an end of term treat ….from me….I will be making them as a small gift from me (cost to me also)<- just incase the bosses read this lol
    Thanks so much for sharing :)