Chocolate Orange Panettone

Chocolate Orange Panettone
Panettone isn’t difficult to make but it does take a while – not actual work mind just a lot of waiting about!  I find it’s best to do it at the weekend when you’ve nothing planned but pottering around the house.

I should add a little note here that I did these for The Great British Bake Off – I was nervous about doing them because my cousins other half is Italian and I didn’t want to let the side down – fortunately she was very proud of me – phew!

Base Batter

2tsp clear honey

Pinch salt

Zest of 1 orange

1 small packet of Orange Fruit Flakes

200g Bournville

115g strong flour
Take all the ingredients for the base batter and whack them in the mixer, mix with an electric hand mixer or beat the living daylights out of it with a wooden spoon.

It will make you a lovely thick batter.  Set this to one side covered with a tea towel and leave to rise for 45minutes.
In the meantime you can mix up your fruit mixture.
Secrets here are:-     1.  A really good quality vanilla extract

2. My secret ingredient – Fruit flakes!

In developing this recipe I tried loads of different ways to get the orange flavour injection and then I came across these – (I must admit they were in my cupboard for the children’s lunch boxes)  Somehow these little gems stay a little bit liquid when the panettone is baked – yum!
Place all the fruit mix ingredients into a large bowl and mix it all together by hand – the smell will be delicious! Leave this to one side.

See see!  I have a new pink spatula!
After the rising time is up on the batter incorporate the fruit mixture using a wooden spoon.  Keep going this stage is a bit tough on the old arm muscles if you’re a weakling like me!

Once nice and thoroughly mixed cover it with the tea towel again, pop it somewhere draught free and leave it to rise again for another 45 minutes.

After the mixture has risen you need to put it into paper cases.  Trying to track down real panettone cases at a reasonable price was nigh on impossible.  You can use regular cupcake cases but I like to use these tulip cases.

You can get them online in loads of places including Funky Muffin here
I put them in silicone muffin trays to make them stand up.

Now comes the tricky bit – getting the batter into the tulip cases – it’s a bit like wrestling ferrets.  Fill the cases 2/3rd full, adding the batter a spoonful at a time.

Once you’ve got them all filled up set them aside to rise again – another 45mins.  Turn the oven on now to preheat 190c/170c Fan/ 375F/Gas Mark 5.
When they have puffed up and the tops are much smoother they are ready for the oven.

Bake in the oven for 18-25 minutes until golden brown on top and when inserted a skewer comes out clean (save for any melted choc).
Chocolate Orange Panettone

Chocolate and Orange Panettone

Ruth Clemens Baker

This entry was posted in Bread, Cake, Chocolate, The Great British Bake Off, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Chocolate Orange Panettone

1. butteredcrumpet says:

I'm scared of Pannettone! You are good, woman.

ps. finding it really hard to post comments on here lately, they either disappear when I press post or just take forever to load and it eventually gives up – could just be my laptop.

Don't be scared, pretend it's a cake! Will look into the comments issue ta x

3. Nora says:

They look so beautiful. And love the description of getting them into the cases – wrestling ferrets! 😀 It's never even occurred to me to make my own panettone but am now feeling thoroughly inspired!

They look fab; interesting secret ingredient (fruit flakes)!

5. Anne Jagger says:

These look delicious. i found your blog from UKS, but have been watching The Great British Bake Off and I've loved everything that you'vce done so far. Good luck in the competition!

6. Sandra says:

Hi Ruth… saw you making these on the show. They look fab!! You are an absolute star. (your proud mum sent me over with a link from UKscrappers)
    Hugs
    Sandra x

7. pbutterfly203 says:

I made panettone for the first time as xmas gifts last year. I used old bean tins as baking tins (washed out of course!) They made them a great shape.

OMG. Never in a million years did I think I could make this and how easy you've mad the recipe to follow. And soooo good too.

Forget Delia, you are the new queen of baking.

Thank you.

I was just wondering whether you could do a big panettone using a 7" baking tin out of this receipe. The baking time would be longer, but otherwise should be all the same, isn't it?

Yes you can make a big panettone, longer baking time everything else the same x

How much and which chocolate shoud I use? I think the quantity is missing in the receipe.

How much and which chocolate shoud I use for the panettone? I couldn't find the quantity in the receipe. BTW, I looooooooove your receipes! I tried the scones and they are simply delicious:-)

It's 200g Bournville – it's listed in the fruit mixture ingredients x

14. Emma says:

Thank you for this recipe! I’ve been wanting to make panetonne for a couple of years now but always thought you needed a panetonne mould which always put me off (I’m a simple cook!) knowing that I can use cupcake cases or those tulip cases has spurred me on and now I think I might make them.

Thanks again,
    Emma x

15. Sarah says:

Help, i followed your recipe for the chocolate orange panettone but the mixture never rose during the proving times. What did i do wrong?

• You do need to be patient with any type of bread batter, especially one like panettone – zest, honey etc will slow down the proving time. If your batter is slow to get going try moving it somewhere warmer but do wait for it to get going and double in size etc. Sometimes (if I’m being impatient) I sit the bowl over another bowl with some steaming water in, just to get some warmth into the mixture and start the yeast off. Hope that helps x

16. Paula says:

Amazing, made this at the weekend.as orange flakes only come in packs with other flavours I added orange essence. I panicked with the batter before realising I was making batter not dough, it all rose and tasted divine. Thank you

17. Anna says:

Hi Ruth, are these freezable once baked?

18. Kathy Tobacco says:

I would love to make these as chocolate and orange is one of my favorite combinations. However I am not sure where to find fruit flakes in the USA. Children here eat fruit gummies, fruit rollups and other such products but not flakes as far as I know. I will look around the grocery store for something comparable. These look delicious. I like the smaller panettones better than the larger ones because they get less dried out as they bake faster. Thank you for the recipe! 🙂 Kathy