Sugar Crusted Fruit Scones

Sugar crusted fruit scones
Scones – My Way!

So many of you have requested my recipes from The Great British Bake Off – so here’s the first – Sugar Crusted Fruit Scones, more recipes to follow but you’ll have to be patient! xx

225g self raising flour
Pinch of salt
50g butter
120ml milk
75g sultanas

1 egg for eggwash
Caster sugar for sugar crust

Clotted cream and raspberry jam to serve

Preheat the oven to 220c/200c Fan/425F/Gas Mark 7.

Place the flour and salt in a large bowl.  Cube the butter and work into the flour using a pastry blender or your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Add in the sugar and sultanas and mix well.

Make a well in the centre and add all of the milk.  Mix together roughly to a dough using a table knife.

There are a couple of secrets to the perfect scone and the first is to not handle the mixture too much.  Bringing the dough together with a knife will stop you manhandling it!

Tip out this rough dough onto your work surface and using your hands bring together lightly into a more consistent dough.

Instead of using a rolling pin and battering the life and lightness out of your dough pat it down into a rectangular shape about 1″ thick.

Make a small pile of flour on the worksurface by the side of your dough and put your cutter into it wriggling it about a bit.  I use a 2″ plain cutter – I like my scones to be of a decent size – no piddling little measures here!

Cut out the scones using only a downward press – DO NOT TWIST THE CUTTER – did you get that?   Twisting the cutter when forming the scones seals the sides together and they won’t rise.  Flour the cutter between each on the little pile of flour as before.

Prepare a baking tray by greasing or use a non-stick liner.

Crack an egg into a shallow bowl and whisk to make the egg wash, add a splash of milk if desired.
Fill another shallow bowl with caster sugar.

Take each scone in turn and dip top down into the bowl of egg wash and then into the bowl of sugar coating the top of each.  Place onto the baking tray spaced well apart.

Bake them in the oven for 12-14 minutes.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.

In the oven the egg wash and sugar with have formed the most delicious sugar crust.
When cooled split and fill with lashings of clotted cream and raspberry jam.  Best eaten the same day but you probably won’t have any trouble there!

Sugar crusted fruit scones

Sugar Crusted Fruit Scones – My Way x

Ruth Clemens Baker
Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Scones, The Great British Bake Off, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

83 Responses to Sugar Crusted Fruit Scones

1. Christel says:

These look SO yummy! Love the way you put on loads of photos too! Well done for your achievement on the show!!! Great great great show!!! Will definitely try this recipe and loads more!

2. Mom-on-a-Wire says:

Will definitely be trying these. My scones always taste good but look awful, or visa versa.

These may just be the 'ones'!

3. Victoria says:

Ruth…i loved your recipe from the finale! I have literally just put a batch of cheese scones in the oven! how funny! happy to see the jam and cream oozing out of these ones! :) x

4. iJod says:

These recipes are great – the photos are so handy and the detail is excellent. I am reading them all just to learn a bit more – today's lesson: don't twist the cutter when making scones! :)

I have a quetion though! I saw a pastry blender in a shop the other day and considered buying it… but I wasn't sure on the benefits of getting one. I didn't spot any of you using one on The GBBO – was that becuase you prefer not to, or because you weren't allowed? thanks!

5. Maria♥ says:

Love the look and sound of these scones with the sugar crust. Deffo a must try!

Maria
    x

6. mylifeinscones says:

Thanks for the tip about using a knife – will have to try that. I will also be trying a sugar crust next time I make fruit scones!

7. Weebeastie says:

Those scones look absolutely delicious!!
    My pregnant belly is telling me I have to make these this weekend :)

Scrumptious!

Kerry x

8. Philip Booth says:

Don't have a telly but caught the final episode last night on iPlayer – huge congrats to all. Loved the sound of so many of your recipes so am delighted to find this site. Thanks for your enthusiasm, honesty, passion for baking and more!

9. Victoria Plum says:

I love love love scones! But have never had sugar crusted ones … will be trying out this recipe!

iJod – at home I always use a pastry bender, I always thought it was better and lighter to do it with your fingers but the blender is so darn quick and no messy hands either! We didn't have a pastry blender on the bake off, I could have taken mine but I cannot pack light at the best of times so I had to sacrifice it! x

11. Clothcat says:

These look lovely – like the sugar crust idea.

Well done on getting to the final – it looked like a delicious spread. Have really enjoyed watching the program (though a bit masochistic of me as I've been watching it straight after my weight watchers meeting). Tell me – how do you manage to do all this baking and stay so lovely and slim? Iron will power or do the kids just get in there first? I love baking, but I always struggle with the after effects!

12. Maaike says:

Hello Ruth,

I'm from Holland and watched the Great British Bake Off on BBC! Fortunately my husband liked the show very much also (ideal man), so it was a weekly date for us. We loved the show (loved you) and wonder why they can't make programs like this in Holland… I want to make your Sugar Crusted Fruit Scones, but could you tell me what the temperature of the oven must be? We don't have a scone-baking tradition here in Holland, so I have really no idea. Good luck, and we will be following you1

13. Judy says:

Thanks for the tip about not twisting the cutter, can't wait to make a batch and watch them rise!! Love the website, well done you

14. Mary Jane's Tearoom says:

These scones look lovely, Ruth.
    You were very impressive in 'The Great British Bake Off'. Always so calm under such stressful conditions!
    Good luck with your future ventures,
    Susan x

15. Lucie says:

I'm so glad you posted these as I loved the look of these on the show! Well done by the way, you did brilliantly in the final and I'm so pleased you have a blog! I can't wait to see what delicious bake comes next! Lucie x

16. Claudia says:

Thank you for sharing these, Ruth. I must say I was rooting for you during the Great British Bake Off. Best of luck with all your future endeavours.

17. Chris says:

I loved 'The Great british Bake Off' – fabulous contestants – wish you could all have won
    You're recipes look delicious – I shall try some. Thank you!
    Chris x

18. Nickki says:

Thank you for posting the recipe for these lovely looking scones! I can't wait to try them (and other recipes!) x

19. kim says:

Hi Ruth, I am new to your blog, discovering it after the 'The Great British Bake Off'. You were wonderful and so are those scones. Can't wait to have a go at baking again.
    Kim xx

20. amishmashofme says:

just popping in (having watched the final) to say how proud I am of you – even though I dont know you! It has been a joy to watch you blossom as the series unfolded. Well done you! Antonia

21. Rachel K says:

Thanks for posting this- I have been watch GBBO on iplayer and was rather sad to watch the last episode today- I will miss sitting down with a cup of tea to breastfeed my new baby and watching the latest episode! Your scones look fab and you have def inspired me to get baking and learn how to do it properly (out comes my bible-like Delia book)! Also been inspired to start my own blog about being a new mum :)

22. BetterLate says:

I like the idea of the sugar crust – good for texture interest as well as extra yumminess. I've only just watched the Bake-Off final (on iPlayer, as every week) as I can't watch on Tuesday evenings, but I have been cheering you on every week (albeit with that time delay) from just up the road in Bramhall ! Well done – a great effort and I have loved seeing your ideas.

Maaike,

The oven temperature is mentioned just after the list of ingredients:
    Preheat the oven to 220c/200c Fan/425F/Gas Mark 7.

24. Hallebunny says:

Hi Ruth my name is Halle, i am 12 years old an i love cooking. My grandma died recently, and she was very well know for her cooking i found her old recipe book and i have tried lots of recipies. So far i have made (succsesfully)lemon,chocolate and vinnila cupcakes, chiili con carne, spag bol and many others. I was wondering have you got a really easy recipie for a lovely bread, that hasn't got to many flavors and is easy to make with out a electronic mixer. I have always wanted to make bread and so far i have made tomato and basil rolls, but i wanted to try something a bit different. I loved watching The Great British Bake Off, and i thought you were great. I thought you cupcakes were cool (even if Paul thought they were over the top) i dont really think there ever is a top. I also loved the way you were so organised, i am not very organised and i always get flour everywhere,(my mums quite sick off it)i love your food and i will soon be making your lemon cake that you did in the first show. Please reply, i will be looking forward to it.
    Lots of Fun
    HalleB

What a great blog Ruth – beautiful picture and fantastic recipes. Do I need to change anything if i remove the sultanas? I would like to make plain scones.
    Lea

26. Vicky says:

I've made loads of different scone recipes, but never with a sugar topping. It's a lovely idea and I'll be taking down the recipe! Brown sugar, cranberries, orange and Christmas spice has just come to mind as a different twist! xx

Never baked before but your enthusiasm and wonderful cakes made me try – Love your different style. Congrats you were great in the competition.

28. clare says:

thanks for sharing this recipe. i will be trying it out on the weekend. got some homemade damson jam and cream ready and waiting for some scones. x

29. Sharon says:

I really enjoyed watching The Great British Bake Off,and these scones in particular looked amazing in the show,I will definately be using this recipe next time I making a batch of scones.
    I really am pleased to have found your blog!
    Good luck with everything.

30. Anne says:

I loved the idea of the sugar crust when I watched the final of the show last night. I am a regular scone baker but had never considerd this topping. I will be trying this. Thanks for sharing your great idea with us.

31. Maaike says:

Thank you Anonymous, was reading to fast, so overlooked! To impressed by beautifull pictures and so much worthy information

32. Amy says:

Made a batch of these last night; they are going down a treat at work today!

thanks for the recipe Ruth. On the GBBO your scones looked lovely, wasnt happy with pauls comments – think he was just a grumpy so and so that day. How could he say they were too big, er hello you can never make anything cake or savoury too big, i would have loved to have tea with all those treats. Hes just too picky. You won hands down Ruth. Keep up the good work. Julie

34. Helen says:

Just taken a batch out the oven, they smell delicious and the instructions are so easy to follow, even for me! Thought you did so well in the final, I thought you were going to win. Loved the way you were so calm under pressure!

35. Janieb says:

So loved you on the Great British Bake Off – routing for you the whole way through. Sky plus so watched final last night, please say you will be doing a cookbook. I will now be a regular blog reader.

Well done to you ;)

36. Katie says:

They look sooooooooooo good!!!!! I might ditch the sultanas though, not overally keen on them, okay absoulty hate them!!!!

37. Lilibet says:

Ruth,
    thankyou for the recipe.I have so enjoyed watching the programme.One of the highlights to my week whilst being off sick from work for 2 months.I have linked your blog on mine as I was chatting about baking.I hope thats ok.
    Well done you.You did great!!

38. kate says:

I have had such a craving for scones since i watched tuesdays final!!!!! Making them today for definite!

just made the scones, everyone loved them!!! thanks for the tip about not twisting the cutter

40. lindyloo says:

Made these scone today YUM! YUM! so light and tasted delicious. Eaten in seconds with loads of jam and cream. I got 7 scones out of this recipe but they didn't rise very much. Do you double your recipe to make the scones thicker ? Mine were also a bit crumbly I am assuming they were under-worked is that right ? In your recipes could you let us know how many portions we should get. Thanks loving your work, you are amazing x

41. Stacey Bullen says:

Hi Ruth,

Congratulations on how well you did in the Great British Bake Off and thank you so much for starting this blog so we all get to try your wonderful recipes! I have just tried to make these scones and, although they do taste great, I did experience a problem which I was hoping for your advice on? In the recipe you say that the dough should be quite firm, mine still felt very wet and sticky and it was difficult to get well shaped scones out of it, and it was impossible to pick them up to dip in the egg wash and sugar, so I ended up using a pastry brush instead. Have you got any suggestions as to where I might have gone wrong? I've only started baking in the last couple of months really, so it's still all new to me :)

Congratulations again, I'm looking forward to trying more of your recipes!

Stacey.x

42. Fotf says:

Hi Ruth i am looking forward to trying these. I made scones for the first time this week having been inspired by you guys on the show. I have to say i was pretty impressed with what i turned out too.The only thing i would add that went into the last lot is a splash of vanilla in the milk which i think made them but be interesting to try the sugar on the top :)

These scones look (and taste) divine – I made them for a tea time treat and everyone loved them!

44. Helen in the UK says:

I loved watching the series and was disappointed that the 'book of the series' didn't contain manay recipies from the series!! Thanks for sharing your scone secrets, they look DELICIOUS :)

45. Wussta Nicky says:

Hi Ruth! Absolutely loved The Great British Bake Off! It re-ignited my love of baking…and my daughters' too! And tonight we have a proper English tea….crumpets…chocolate cake and some of your scones. Just out of the ovena dn they look and smell delicious! Can't wait! :-)

46. . says:

Congratulations with your place in the final. To be second is a great, great achievement! I'm Dutch but loved to see every tuesday the program on BBC. Unfortunately we can't see the internetserie. Maybe it's only available in the UK.

Wish you all the best with your baking. Will visit your blog a lot to try some of the recipies myself.

Nice greetings,
    Willeke
    The Netherlands

47. Diane says:

Hi, I shall enjoy baking your recipes – I'm always glad of inspiration. Thanks

48. lindyloo says:

@Staceybullen if your dough was too wet the simple truth is too much liquid. A tip for very accurate liquid measure is to weight instead of judging it in a marked container 120mls is 120grms weighing liquid is the best way.

49. Ruby says:

Your scone recipe is amazing, the sugar on the top makes they soooo yummy, me and my mum are a big fan! x

The recipe should make you six scones. The key to the right consistency of the dough is measuring the milk correctly, however flours absorb liquid at different rates so if your mixture is crumbly it will need a tidgy bit more milk.
    The trick to them rising is really using the correct cutter – a glass will work but it will seal together the edges of the scone as you press it out and will stop it from rising.

And yes 6 scones is probably never enough – if you want some more then double up the recipe!
    Ruth x

just tried these and they are gorgeous!eating them now! Thanks Ruth! x

52. Jules says:

Hi Ruth, I made these at the weekend – really nice! I put some butter and jam in one this morning, wrapped it in foil and took it to work with me for a mini 4 o'clock afternoon tea! Shame it was at my desk but it brightened up my Monday afternoon none the less!
    Really enjoyed watching the Bake Off – you always looked so calm and organised. Well done on reaching the final!

53. Anneke says:

Hi,

Made these scones last week and they were perfect!! First time ever I made scones, so I was really pleased!

x

54. lucy says:

Beautiful scones. Am eating a warm one right now with lashings of jam and cream. Loving the sugar crust. Just wish there more than 6!! Yum. Well done Ruth. You have shared some excellent tips x

55. mrsportion says:

Ruth

Why do my scones sometimes go lopsided in the oven? They are perfectly straight when I cut them but once in oven they lean over x

56. Louise says:

First batch made this morning, second currently in oven, very popular with family & friends, thanks for sharing.

57. julie says:

couldnt wait to make these
    so today was the day,but looks like as im glad to say im not alone on this one,
    mine didnt rise to well i found the thicker
    ones did but the 1" ones never.
    will try again but make them thicker will let you know,
    ok next plan those lovely mint,ginger,blackberry mini`s

58. julie says:

whoops after just reading others comments
    i thought i might add i made 12 therefore think i was abit tight scone portion???
    just tasted one and they are lovely light inside love the sugar crust topping will defo use that again,
    learnt a lesson today!
    next time at least 2" high???

Just a quick update you can leave out the sultanas if you want plain scones nothing needs adjusting. For cherry scones just replace the weight of sultanas with cherries.

If you're after a really straight rise chill the cut scones in the fridge for an hour before baking, I don't because I don't mind wonky scones! xx

60. Sarah C says:

Just made these for afternoon tea with my Mum. Had to try one out first and yum! I used mixed fruit as that's what was in the cupboard, don't think she'll mind though :D Thank you

61. Janine, Cornwall says:

I've just taken out of the oven the most amazing looking batch of scones using this recipe and method, so THANK YOU!

I've never been able to get my scones to rise before – the tip of not twisting the cutter is a beauty.

Hurry up and cool, scones. I want to eat you!!!

Just made Paul Hollywoods scones and all most all of them wonky!! Checked Google as to why that should be and found your site – will be trying your recipe next time Ruth – and I didn't twist the cutter :-(

63. Janine, Cornwall says:

Actually, I didn't wait. I had to eat two of them with loads of butter, while they were still warm. Delicious!

64. Marieke says:

Hi Ruth,

I made your scones (with buttermilk and vanilla sugar for the crust) and they turned out so wonderful! Going to make more this evening and also going to try some with Dutch speculaas spices (don't know if you know speculaas but it's a mixture with cinnamon and ginger, cloves and lots more in it)which we eat a lot in the time leading up to Sinterklaas (the original Santa Claus).

65. Valerie says:

Yummy, thanks for the tips. Don't have much space for rolling out so patting down the dough worked really well and I remembered not to twist my cutter :o)

66. Laura says:

My daughter and I bake alot together and she was avid about the programme. Well done, personally I thought you were the winner. We have just made these scones and they are absolutley lovely – thank you for sharing your recipes.

67. Heather says:

Fantastic recipe – thank you. A great twist on a fruit scone. Black Forest Brownies next…….

68. diane_ugo says:

I've just made there and they were great. They're so much better than other scone recipes I've seen. The sugar crust is a nice touch, especially for those with a sweet tooth. How anyone can say your scones were too big is beyond me, who wants a tiny scone when you can have a big one.

69. Medifast Coupons says:

Now this is how you serve a scone, very nice, thanks so much. Look forward to seeing lots more.

70. mellylucy says:

Love this recipe! Thanks Ruth! I want to take them on a picnic but won't have time to bake them before i go, how long will they last? Could i freeze them? thanks!

Hi mellylucy – the scones are best served freshly on the day made but to make in advance I would freeze them as soon as they've cooled. When you need them defrost them and then bob them in a hot oven for a 3-4 mins just to refresh them xx

72. mellylucy says:

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! :-) I baked a batch over the weekend for a test run, they lasted approx 30 minutes haha! I will let you know how the freezing goes & if they taste any different! x x x

73. Karen Cole says:

Thanks for the great recipe, it is the first time my scones have turned out great! And my hubby said they are the best scones he’s tasted!! Praise indeed :-D.

74. Taylor says:

Hello! I have just made up a batch and they are in the oven now! Nervously awaiting them coming out, and fingers crossed they will turn out ok! I am 16 and a keen baker, and have never made a scone before so whatever the outcome i shall be happy! Followed the NO TWIST technique, never heard of this before, will post to tell you how they turn out :)

75. Taylor says:

They turned out beautifully! Still too hot to eat but watch this space! Thankyou so much, another keen baker extremely pleased :D

76. Marian Rae says:

Have made a lot of scones, but felt they were always too heavy.Look forward to trying these ones with all your tips [thank you for that.] Will let you know how I get on.
    Well done for your great effort in the Great British Cook Off, and good luck in your new venture.

77. Marian Rae says:

Sorry I meant to write Bake off.

78. Marian Rae says:

Hi just made my first batch of your scones, they were great, thank you.

79. Juanita lim says:

I must say this is one of the best scones I have made and tasted I usually follow all the designer and bbc recipe your recipe deserve a medal I say! I am reccomending it to my daughter and her friends well done and thank you:-))

80. Dawn says:

Made these this morning, served as a tea time treat with strawberries and cream, delicious and light, love the topping, so much so that I made a second batch this afternoon, first batch had mysteriously disappeared…

81. Read this recipe with glee, it described and explained all the problems I’ve been having with my scones – like not turning the cutter and no rolling pin. Can’t wait to put all this to the test and make my first batch. Love the blog, well done Ruth.

82. Anne says:

Made for the first time I used blackberries instead of fruit so they needed longer in the oven, very tasty but in Ireland we would call this a rock bun not a scone….next time will skip the sugar topping as it was a bit sweet for my taste, kids and husband demolished the lot though