Chocolate and Lime Tart

Chocolate and Lime Tart

Inspired by sweeties,  I love chocolate limes I thought I’d turn this into a sweet tart – it was a success, I think the OH ate half this in one go!
Ingredients:Sweet Pastry175g plain flour120g butter, cold diced30g caster sugar1 large egg, beaten
Lime Filling120ml lime juice240ml water270g caster sugar50g cornflour3 egg yolks2 tbsp butter
Grated zest of one limeGreen food colouring if desired.
Chocolate Ganache100ml single cream100g dark chocolate
Prepare the sweet pastry first.  Sift the flour into a large bowl.  Add the diced cold butter and rub in to the flour using your fingers or a pastry blender.

You only need to do this fairly roughly and it is fine to still have small blobs of butter throughout the mixture.

Stir through the caster sugar and then add the beaten egg, bring together roughly with a knife.

Tip the whole lot out onto your worksurface and and knead it lightly till it comes together and forms a ball.

Place the pastry in a plastic bag or clingfilm and then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 190c/170c fan/Gas Mark 5.
Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out to about 4mm thick, into a large enough piece to line your tart tin.
The quantities given here will make one 8” tart or 4 miniature tarts.  (Links to the equipment can be found at the end of the post).

Lay the pastry over the tart tin and press it in gently using your fingers taking care not to stretch the pastry too much.

Trim off the excess pastry using a sharp knife or by rolling your rolling pin over the top of the tart tin.

Put this back in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes or until completely firm.
Remove from the fridge and prick the base of the pastry with a fork.  Take a piece of baking paper  3-4 inches larger than the diameter of the tart.

Scrunch it up into a ball.

Then unscrunch it.  Lay it into the pastry shell.  The scrunching softens the baking paper and helps it to shape into the pastry tart.  Fill with ceramic baking beans.

You can use dried rice of beans for this job, but ceramic baking beans are designed to distribute the heat evenly and support the shape of the pastry far better.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, after this time take out of the oven, remove the baking beans and baking paper.  Return to the oven for a further 8 minutes until the base is completely cooked.

Allow to cool completely.
When your beautiful pastry shell is cooled we can get on with the lime filling.  I use lime juice directly from a bottle which is easy to get from most supermarkets these days but use fresh limes if you prefer.

Place the water, lime juice, sugar, cornflour and egg yolks in a pan and using a whisk mix together thoroughly.

Add in the butter and place over a medium heat stirring constantly.

As the mixture heats up it will begin to thicken –keep stirring!  When it starts to bubble cook for approx a further three minutes until it is nice and thick.
Remove from the heat and add in the lime zest and add green food colouring if you wish.  The mixture is disappointingly yellow, like lemon curd so for me the colouring was a must.  Although I have to admit maybe  I went a bit overboard with it and it was a very vibrant green – so much so that the children refused to eat it!
Place the lime mixture into the cooled pastry shell and spread out roughly with a back of a spoon.  Set to one side to cool completely.

When the lime layer is cold it’s time for the chocolate layer.  Make a basic chocolate ganache using 100ml cream and 100g dark chocolate.
Chop the chocolate into small pieces ( I like to use Bournville as it works well in baking, don’t use G&B’s for ganache – it splits on me every time)

Place the cream in a pan and heat until almost boiling.  Remove from the heat and add the chocolate.

Allow to stand for a couple of minutes and then stir until the chocolate is completely melted and combined with the cream for a beautiful ganache.

Pour over the top of the tart and allow to set in the fridge.
Equipment Links -
Pastry Blender – Cook In StyleTala – Ceramic Baking Beans – Sainsbury’s
Loose based Tart Tin – Sainsbury’s
4pk Tartlet Tins – Sainsburys

Chocolate and Lime Tart

Chocolate and Lime Tart

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Chocolate, Lime, Pastry, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Chocolate and Lime Tart

1. Thisisme says:

Thanks for that Ruth. Like you, I always used to love those chocolate lime sweets, so I shall look forward to trying this out! Keep up the good work. Any more news on the cookbook yet?? x (Thisisme is my Blog name, but I'm Diane Croad on facebook!!

2. Caroline Turley says:

That looks and sounds wonderful Ruth. Very pleased you made it, gives me something to try when the kiddies return to school next week :-)

3. Choclette says:

Love the combo of these two ingredients – chocolate and lime is yum. But the colour????

4. wannabe cupcake queen says:

That just looks totally divine!! The vibrant green colour is perfect for halloween!

This is on my wish list of things to make!!

5. dawnmattreed says:

That is going to be my Sunday lunch treat for the family!! I love chocolate limes too. Maybe strawberry sherbet tart next??? Thanks Ruth
    Dawn west Kirby

6. Steph says:

looks amazing! great walkthrough on the 'how to' :)

Thanks so much for this recipe – the green looks wonderful! Also thanks for the equipment links, really useful, following your recommendation I will definitely be investing in some baking beans. Hope you get to bring out a baking book sometime soon – I would definitely buy it!

8. Tim says:

Hi Ruth,

That's very green; looks scrummy! Congrats for a brilliant blog; great to see what each step should look like as well.

On G&B chocolate – I did managed to make ganache using it successfully for a cake rather than truffles. It is awkward to work with, though, because it's got a very high cocoa butter content, much higher than a lot of similar 70% chocolates. So for my ganache, I used 100g finely chopped G&B and 100g of whipping cream (the green-top cream; it has less fat than double cream. 100g is about 100ml).

Ganache tends to split either if there's too much fat, or if it gets too cool (as the chocolate wants to set). I make a lot of truffles from time to time, using lots of different chocolates, so for truffles using G&B, I'd probably try 120g chocolate to 100g cream, but use green-topped cream. For milk chocolate, I'd use at least 200g to 100g cream, and even more for white, although having my trusty thermometer makes it much easier to make thicker ganaches! Incidentally, I tend to use Barry Callebaut (Belgian) chocolate.

Hope this helps,
    Tim

9. Tim says:

Just to update – when I say ganache too cool, I mean allowing it to get too cool while still making it, as the stirring splits out the fat in it as the chocolate starts to set.

It's fine cooling once it's made!

Tim

10. Rhian says:

Mmm, that looks very tasty. Have you tried G&B cooking chocolate? I only make the odd foray into baking, but it's worked for me.

11. Janice says:

mmmm I love those sweeties too! Love how your dessert came out, a definite winner.

Made my chic and lime tart this aft, looks scrum my can't wait to try.

Never made sweet pastry before
    Never blind baked before
    Never made a lime curd before
    Never made a choc ganache before

Thanks Ruth, I am loving your blog and really look forward to a new recipe to try

Incedentaly I couldn't get bottled lime juice from my branch of sainsburys so had to use fresh limes, for anyone else with this issue it took 11limes to get the required amount of juice

Ad

13. Choclette says:

Tim – thank you for your pointers on G&B chocolate – that is what I use and the dark splits every time I make ganache.

14. Made With Pink says:

Oh my goodness! This looks amazing. Must make this for my hubby. He loves anything citrus!

15. julie says:

this looks great its on my list of "to do`s"
    do you think i could do this using milk choc???
    family not so hot on dark choc??
    thanks for any help here as always

16. Scarlett says:

looks fab-great idea for the chocolate and lime together!

Julie – this will be fab with milk chocolate instead x

18. Angela says:

This looks absolutely amazing…can't wait to try it! Loving the recipe e-shots Ruth x

19. Peter says:

Hi Ruth,

This looks fab, am going to make it tomorrow… just one question – for the lime filling you say "2 tbsp butter" – does that need to be melted? I'm unsure, if not, how I measure that! Sorry if I'm being thick…

Peter

20. Debbie says:

Tried this today Ruth and oh my isn't it delicious. My family loved it and said it was just like those chocolate and lime sweets. Well done on such a great recipe and wonderful blog.

21. Cookie Cottage says:

wow.. this pie looks funky!

22. Katey says:

I made this on the weekend and loved it – I think I managed to get just the right green though I do quite like the brightness! First time I've got curd perfect too. A wee picture of my efforts here: http://edinburgheats.blogspot.com/

Peter – I just scoop off two tablespoons of butter from the softened block, it doesn't need to be melted first x

24. jane :D says:

Just made this today, very easy and tastes just like the sweets. Worked well with Asda's own brand chocolate. Thank you for the brilliant recipes and instructions.

25. tracey h says:

hi i made this at the weekend, it was lovely.
    i love the lime and chocolate combo.
    will make it again and try milk chocolate.
    thanks ruth for all the lovely recipes!

26. Fresh Design Blog says:

Wow, that looks absolutely gorgeous!

27. julieh says:

just made this but used milk choc
    looks lovely cant wait for teatime
    also shall be using the rest of the single cream
    forget the calories!
    i also had some filling left over
    so tomorrow shall be making biscuits with
    the filling
    thank you ruth lovely recipe and yes i made it
    "very green!!!"

28. Dawn says:

Made this today as an Easter treat for OH, doesn’t do Easter eggs but used to love chocolate limes. Neither does OH do subtle, so went OTT with the green. He and kids absolutely loved it, though I couldn’t quite come to terms with the greenness! Has been re-named the chocolate slime pie!

29. Claire Tomkinson says:

I have been working on a version of this for a while and my final recipe now uses a chocolate pastry, lime curd filling and a cocoa jelly topping. It’s lovely. My OH calls mine slimey lime pie too.