On the eleventh day of Christmas The Pink Whisk sent to me……Christmas Bakewells

Christmas Bakewell Tarts

Instead of the usual jam try these Christmas style with Cranberry and Port mincemeat!

Makes 18 small Bakewell Tarts

Pastry
225g plain flour
100g butter
1 egg yolk
35ml cold water

1/2 jar of mincemeat

100g butter, melted
2 eggs
100g semolina
100g ground almonds
a few drops of almond essence

flaked almonds or icing to top

Start off by making the biscuity pastry base, because its so rich and buttery you can get away with making it in the food processor.

Add the flour and the butter to the bowl of the processor.  Pulse the processor until the butter is worked into the flour and resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Add the sugar and egg yolk and pulse again.

Now with the processor running add the water a little at a time until the dough comes together in a ball.  Turn off straight away and remove the dough from the bowl.

Wrap in clingfilm and allow to chill and rest in the fridge for half an hour.

Preheat the oven to 160c Fan/180c/Gas Mark 4.

Once the pastry is rested roll it out onto your well floured work surface.  Use the loose thin base of a cake tin or flan base to keep lifting the pastry and making sure it doesn’t stick.  Roll the dough to approx 3mm thick.

Use the flan tin base to lift the circles of dough into the tin.  If the dough splits don’t worry just push the edges back together as you go.

Cut out large circles to line the recesses of a deep bun tin.  The tin should be well greased with butter.

Once all the recesses are lined pop them in the fridge to chill whilst we get on with the next bit.

In a bowl whisk together the 2 eggs, melted butter and a couple of drops of almond essence.

Add to the mixture the semolina, caster sugar and ground almonds and stir well.

Now for the Christmas bit!  You can use normal mincemeat but I found this lovely stuff in Waitrose – Port and Cranberry which I’m using here.

Add one teaspoon of mincemeat to each of the tarts.

On top of the mincemeat add one desert spoon of almond mixture – just place it in for now.

Once you have done all the tarts using the back of a spoon smooth the almond mixture to meet the sides of the dough without disrupting the mincemeat underneath.

Now you can top the tarts with a few flaked almonds or bake them plain and then add some icing afterwards.

Place them in the oven for 18-20 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.

Once baked leave to cool in the tin before easing each tart out gently with a knife.  Allow to cool on a wire rack.

Dust the almond topped tarts with a snow of icing sugar, if you prefer you could mix a couple of tablespoons of icing sugar with a drop of water and use to drizzle over the tops.

Christmas Bakewell Tarts

Christmas Bakewell Tarts

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Christmas, Pastry, Treats, Twelve Days of Christmas. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to On the eleventh day of Christmas The Pink Whisk sent to me……Christmas Bakewells

1. Jacquie says:

Can I use a replacement for the Semolina, its not something I usually keep in my kitchen cupboard :)

2. RedSnapperUK says:

Oh my goodness!! They look AMAZING!! I can't wait to have a go at making these. I also made your Lemon Curd the other day and it is stunning!! Love love love this website! Thanks so much Ruth. Hope you and your family have an amazing Christmas and can't wait for your book (will you have it available electronically as well????). Kate x

Jacquie – I like the semolina as it adds a bit of crunch. If you don't want to use it replace with more ground almonds instead x

4. Janice says:

What a clever idea Ruth! Love the look of that Cranberry & port mincemeat, sadly we don't have a Waitrose round here so I won't be able to get any. Will try with ordinary mincemeat.

5. Eleana says:

Hi ruth they sound lovely but if I just wanted to do the usual ones do I just use normal jam where you have mincemeat? never made them before and not a fan of mincemeat!!

Hi Eleana – yes just a teaspoon of jam instead of the mincemeat x

7. Ms C says:

I haven't got a bun tin at the moment, would it work as a large tart/pie? I'm not sure if I'd have to bake the case blind to stop it getting soggy. It looks so nice I want to make it asap, fortunately I already have the ingredients.

I've had the Waitrose mincemeat last year, it's lovely! I bagsied a load when they reduced them after Christmas.

8. Pat says:

Hi
    could I make a big flan and if so what size would these ingredients make and how long would I cook it for?

thanks Pat

9. Tracey says:

Hi Ruth! I am really enjoying your twelve days of Xmas baking. I love Cherry Bakewells so these sound right up my street too! I loved your Xmas cake designs-you´ve given me some great ideas about how to decorate mine!

Ms C and Pat – Yes, use these quantities to make one large tart – approx 8 or 9" in diameter. You won't need to bake the case blind but it will take approx 25-30minutes in the oven. Check that the centre of the almond filling is firm to the touch before removing from the oven.

xx

I've just made my 2nd batch of these they are lovely i'll be making some more on christmas eve as these will be gone and i'll try the other mince pie recipe as well

12. Emily says:

Hi Ruth, we live in Singapore and I’ve only managed to find ambrosia semolina I’m assuming I can’t use that instead of the drip semolina?