Day 6 – Coconut & Passionfruit Cakes

On the sixth day of Christmas The Pink Whisk sent to me…..Coconut and Passionfruit Cakes.

Coconut and Passionfruit Cakes

Although not Christmassy in flavour sometimes it makes a nice change to indulge in something fruity and these are certainly delicious – they look to me like snowy peaked mountains too!

Makes 12.

125g butter, softened

2 eggs

100g self raising flour

50g creamed coconut, coarsely grated

80ml coconut cream

Pulp of 1 large passionfruit or 2 small

Icing

250g icing sugar sifted

4 tbsps coconut cream

Preheat the oven to 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.

Cream together the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.

Coarsely grate the creamed coconut.  This packet by Barts is a good one as it has small individual blocks each separately sealed so you’re not left with any unwrapped.

Add to the creamed butter and sugar and beat well.

Now add in the eggs and  flour and mix well.

Add the coconut cream and the pulp from the passionfruit.  Randomly my passionfruit are the size of an apple, if yours are small you’ll need two!

These can be baked in normal cupcake cases in a cupcake pan but I’m using this flexi mould by Pyrex. This one here on Amazon is similar – but use what you have, I’m sure you bakers have cupboards full of tins, pans and silicone moulds just like I have!

If baking in silicone moulds like these you will need to grease them well and then add a dusting of flour to prevent them from sticking.

Fill each recess 2/3rds full or divide between 12 cupcake cases.

Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes until golden brown on the top and springy to the touch.

Remove and allow to cool for ten minutes in the tray before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.  Resist eating them warm (even though they’re delicious – I’ve just given the game away haven’t I?)

Once cooled make up the icing by mixing the sifted icing sugar with approx 4tbsps coconut cream.  The consistency should be similar to thick custard.

Add a teaspoonful to the top of each cake swirling it around slightly to encourage it to drizzle down the sides of the cake.

Coconut and Passionfruit Cakes

This entry was posted in Cake, Christmas, Treats, Twelve Days of Christmas. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Day 6 – Coconut & Passionfruit Cakes

1. Kathryn says:

These look wonderful Ruth! I love the combination of coconut and passionfruit and it makes such a nice change to have something a bit tropical at this time of year.

2. Dominic says:

now these look so intruiging.. I think i’m about to get the scales down from the shelf x

3. Oh they look so dinky and cute! Bet they are delicious too :)
    Jones x

• Inyut says:

thanks for the reply, peter. as far as i know she is allergic to all nuts, had her tetsed for peanuts, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, even almonds (not a nut?) you name it and she got the welts from all of them. unfortunately i dont remember if coconut was part of the testing as well. im too scared to do a DIY testing at home but will get her re-tetsed in november. they told me to bring some peanut butter to do some experimenting with in the office. ill make sure to bring some coconut oil as well. thanks again and see you soon for yoga.

4. narf7 says:

Yum! These look delicious. I must admit, Christmas in Australia is very different to Christmas in the UK and these would sit perfectly with our sunny skies and hot weather. Thanks for this Ruth, we might have these on the run up to Christmas :o)

5. Mrs Crumpet says:

Love the tropical twist! Will def be trying these :-)

6. Pauline Grimshaw says:

Love these little cakes so much I had to freeze them or they would all get eaten in one go! This is why I love The Pink Whisk, unusual and creative ideas. I can’t decide whether I like these better than the mint ginger and blackberry cakes which I also love……

7. Pingback: Passionfruit & Coconut Mini Cakes « The Sweetest Brunch