A Life Free From Hunger…

I know that is what we all deserve.

and so I am proud to announce that I am supporting Save the Children in the second part of their No Child Born to Die campaign which aims to stop the millions of childhood deaths which occur from easily preventable diseases throughout the world.  The focus is on the ‘hidden hunger crisis’ – tackling childhood malnutrition which is responsible for a third of deaths in children under the age of five.

This Saturday I will be travelling to Rwanda with Jay Rayner,  the Observer’s restaurant reviewer and the food presenter for the One Show, and a team to visit Save the Children projects on a week long trip.  We’ll be meeting Rwandan families and will see first-hand the effects and treatment of malnutrition, the hidden hunger.

A Life Free From Hunger launches globally on Wednesday 15th February.  Although I’ll be in Rwanda we’ll be linking live to the campaign’s UK launch and making as much noise about it via any means possible.

We’re calling on world leaders to put an end to this problem – and we’re asking David Cameron to name a day to tackle hunger and hold a World Food Summit while world leaders are in London for the Olympics

My role is to spread the word, raise awareness for the campaign and help garner your support – no child is born to die because they can’t get the food they need.

In reality I am extremely worried about making the trip, about what I will see and most of all about making that all important difference.

I sit at home in my cosy little existence baking up treats and recipes for my boys (and you) without having to worry about them suffering from malnutrition and all that comes with it.

I’m lucky that I know they need a good balanced diet to thrive, that they need to get their five a day (even if I have to sneak it into them) and that I can stretch our food budget to go that bit further in times of frugality.  But, what if I didn’t have enough money to buy our basic foods, if I didn’t know how to best feed growing boys or I didn’t have access to nutritionally good stuff…what then?

Would they still have been happy and healthy enough to play out in the snow this weekend…?

Well I’m about to find out.   I’m going to try my hardest to make a difference and I hope you’re all with me.  I’m under no illusions it’ll be harrowing at times but I’m hoping to bring you lots of positive stuff too.

There’ll be lots that you can do to support the campaign and spread the word and I’ll let you know just what and when.

In the meantime, if you’d like to help by being my ‘men on the ground’ so to speak please drop me an email to ruth@thepinkwhisk.co.uk or leave me a comment – we’d really appreciate your support and ideas.

Of course the recipes won’t stop coming, that’s why you’re here in the first place.   I have some Rwandan inspired ones up my sleeve for you.  Whilst I’m away I’ll be reporting back most evenings so keep stopping by and getting all the info on the trip and news of the campaign’s progression.

And if you want some more…

News of our trip – Food Writers visit Rwanda Save the Children

All the details of the No Child Born to Die campaign here: http://bornto.savethechildren.org.uk/about-our-campaign

I’ll be tweeting away, from the other side of the world (where possible!) so if you’re a twittererer (yes I know that’s not a word) you can follow me at @thepinkwhisk @JayRayner1 who is also on the trip and the team at @savechildrenuk  and if you’re tweeting too please use the # tag #nameaday

I’m fairly new to Instagram but if you know what you’re doing you’ll find me on there too, (stumbling around a little lost probably!) and I’ll be filling my feed with photos as the trip goes on.

More news soon….

Ruth x

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in Ruth's Chat, Save The Children. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A Life Free From Hunger…

1. Franziska says:

Good luck for the trip and I hope all goes well!

2. Alison says:

Best of luck for the trip, hope it goes ok. What a worth while cause, fingers crossed the people who need to will actually listen. Take care xx

3. Fantastic post Ruth. You know that I am behind you all the way and I will do anything I can to help spread the word. Good luck and you know where I am if you need a chat! x

4. Hunger anywhere in the world should not be tolerated. I look forward to hearing your updates – such an important topic and so glad you will be reporting back

5. Charley says:

Already a twitter follower 🙂
    Hope you have an amazing time. I would absolutely love to go back to Africa over and over again. An amazing and worthy cause too. Looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back – lots of pics too please!!
    Take care x

6. Rosie Childs says:

Beautiful post Ruth. I’m really excited to be working on this with you – see you in Rwanda!

Rosie, Save the Children

7. Victoria says:

Wishing you all the best! What an honour to be included in such an important and life changing project. x

8. Hilary says:

I’m full of admiration, Ruth.
    Let’s hope it helps to highlight the plight of so many hungry children and bring them to the attention of those in a position of power to make changes.

9. lynn harrison says:

hi Ruth, what a fabulous trip, you will be fantastic with all those children, told you once that you were VERY MUMSIE lol.Have a great time, take care and i will be thinking of you.x.x.x.x

10. Wow Ruth. What a fantastic cause you are supporting. I wish you all the very best for the trip. Well done for signing up and supporting this very important cause.

Good luck for your trip. I’ll be thinking of you.

Charlotte x
    @gofreecakes

11. Mieke says:

Good for you, I’ll follow you from overhere (Holland). Maybe we ‘dutchies’ can also step in somewhere? All the best!!! Mieke

12. Francesca says:

Wishing you a safe journey and every success in this wonderful and ever so important campaign – I am sure I can speak on behalf of your family, friends and fans; this is a wonderful cause and everyone is very proud of you for embarking upon this trip and offering your support. Good luck Ruth ands take care xx

13. Wendy Pillar says:

Good on you! Hope the trip goes well and you get loads of publicity for this great cause

14. EmmaMT says:

Wow what an amazing thing to be part of. You’re the pefect ambassador. I’d love to support you any way I can. I’ll link through to your posts and ask my blog followers to support you too.

Good luck.

EmmaMT

15. Thank you all for your support – it’s very very much appreciated. R x

16. Joanne Baldwin says:

Hope the trip goes ok, I went to Kenya a few years ago as part of a geography field trip for my degree. We were in a remote area where food was limited, however one thing i always remember is how happy and optimistic they children are. They are not worrying about wanting the next xbox game or toy they are just happy with what they have.

17. This is a fantastic initiative and I’ll be supporting you all the way! Good luck in Rwanda and looking forward to reading your updates and getting involved in any way I can.

18. claire says:

Hi Ruth, I just wanted to say what a great thing it is you are doing. I also wanted to extend my help in any way that I can. When not cooking and looking after my three children, my day job is for an international security and risk mitigation company helping NGOs, journalists and companies work in some of the worlds more challenging places. I am sure that you are very well prepared, but I just wanted to make contact as it is not often that people outside of my day job travel to these locations. Wishing you a successful trip – I can’t wait to read about it.

19. Pingback: Best of the Foodie Blogs: Ten at Ten (5) | Foodies 100