Blueberry & Vanilla Battenberg

Blueberry & Vanilla Battenberg

A Battenberg with a subtle nod to the Jubilee – Battenberg goes red, white and blue!

200g butter, softened

4 eggs

200g self-raising flour

90g blueberries

1 tsp vanilla bean paste or the seeds scraped from one vanilla bean pod.

1 x pkt white marzipan

1/3rd of a jar of strawberry conserve or jam.

Prepare an 8″ square tin by lining the sides and the base.  In the piece of baking paper for the base fold a pleat which will divide the cake in half.

Pink tin again – makes me smile!

Preheat the oven to 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add the eggs one at a time along with a spoonful of the flour to prevent the mixture from curdling.

Once all the eggs are in sift in the remaining flour and fold until the mixture is even.

Split the cake mix between two bowls.  To one half add the vanilla bean paste or the seeds scraped from one vanilla pod and mix well.

Take the blueberries and lightly blitz using a stick blender or mash with a fork.

Do not wear your new white jumper, blueberry juice is a swine to get out (drat!)

Add the crushed blueberries to the other bowl of cake mix and stir through evenly.

Add each cake mix to it’s own little compartment in the tin and level roughly with the back of a spoon.

Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until lightly golden brown and cooked through.

Sponge at white jumper madly….

Once baked transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Trim the crusts off each cake and level the top.

Cut each type of cake into two even pieces.

Now it’s assembly time.

Work on a chopping board or something similar.  Position one log and coat the top and two side with jam, don’t worry about the base for now.

Add in the next piece of cake and again coat the top and the sides.

Add in the next piece on top, making sure the different cake flavours sit diagonally.  Jam….you get the gist.  It’s like building a wall.

Once assembled make sure the top and sides are coated with the jam, again leaving the base for now.

Set the cake to one side and lightly dust the worksurface with icing sugar.

Knead the marzipan until it’s soft and pliable enough to work with and roll out into a large rectangle, approx 4mm deep.

Trim the rectangle to just slightly larger to the depth and your cake and slightly wider than the measurement around the entire cake  (approx 20cm x 30cm). Check your marzipan sheet isn’t stuck to the worksurface before going any further!

Lay the sheet of marzipan onto the cake centrally.

Now carefully flip the Battenberg over onto the worksurface so that the base is now in the air.

Coat the base with a layer of jam and finish wrapping the marzipan around the sides and the top.

Trim off any excess where the marzipan meets.

Carefully turn the Battenberg over so that the seal is now underneath.

Smooth and straighten the marzipan sides.

To crimp the top use your fingertips working along each side.  You can see how in this photo here – either use the end of a piece of cutlery or just your finger in place of the spoon, pushing the marzipan into your thumb and forefinger.  If in doubt practice on a piece of excess marzipan first!

(I was home alone and haven’t figured how to take a photo whilst using both hands yet hence the random pie photo!)

Prick a line for decoration along each crimp with a fork.

Finally trim each end with a sharp knife to neaten the marzipan and cake.

Blueberry & Vanilla Battenberg

Blueberry & Vanilla Battenberg

This entry was posted in Afternoon Tea, Blueberry, Cake, Decorating, Treats, Vanilla. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Blueberry & Vanilla Battenberg

1. Lisa says:

It’s a shame bilberries aren’t more easily available – they’re much bluer!

2. Rachel Brown says:

Did the jumper survive? (love the randomness of those comments!)

3. Nikki says:

If i’m going to have to cancel a day out on Sunday due to teh rain then i know what I’m spending my weekend doing… battenberg here i come! :)

4. Kylie Fisher says:

Having seen this recipe i have just rushed down to my local sainsburys to get fresh ingredients. Im in the mood for baking (which i always am) and going to have a slice with a cup of tea and probably for breakfast as well. Hope it will hurry up and cook.

5. nichola says:

Hi Ruth, totally love this idea! Am going to ttempt one for my aunts jubilee party. Could you tell me where the pink tin is from.

6. biscuitbear says:

Nice! I’m going to try Battenberg cake for the first time this week-end, I hope mine will look half as good as yours. I recently discovered the Great British Bake Off after finding the 2011 book at an English bookshop in Paris, and have finally just been able to get my hands on Season 1 episodes online. I love every minute of the show and you did really well, belated congrats!

7. Mary-Ellen says:

It looks lovely, going to try this, but using white fondant/sugarpaste icing in place of marzipan.

8. Denise says:

I love Battenberg and now I know how to make it. Thanks will give this a go. The blueberries make this extra special. My mum always made pink and vanilla.

9. Karrie says:

Just wondering how the marzipan looks so white??

• It’s white marzipan as opposed to golden. It’s just the undyed stuff in it’s natural colour. Dr Oetker marzipan is this colour. In Waitrose and Morrisons you need to look for ‘white marzipan’ xx

10. Kylie Fisher says:

The Cake was lovely, its now going to be a stable part of the weekend baking routine.

11. Oh my goodness I love this idea! This looks amazing!

12. lexie says:

I too might try this for our street party, but as everything must be nut free could I use sugar paste?

13. Jenny @ BAKE says:

what a delicious idea!

14. I really like this Ruth, and it is fantastic to see some Jubilee baking which has not gone wild with the food colourings!

15. Kath says:

Thank you!
    I made this for a birthday cake for my husband. It was a major hit. In fact it lasted all of 30 minutes.

16. Katie Bryson says:

LOVE this Ruth – Battenberg is one of my favourites but i’ve never been brave enough to make it. Your photos are so helpful that I might pluck up the courage… our school is having a jubilee bake off for the summer fair and this might be a clincher.

17. Maria says:

I saw this recipe yesterday and just had to give it a try! The kids finally went to bed at 10.30pm (I swear they sense Mums about to have some fun) and finally I got to bake.
    Results were fab and even at 6.30am (yes I got up at that time to do a ‘taste test’) it tasted soooooooooooooooo good! Thank you!

18. This looks amazing! Love the fruit idea, much better than coffee :)

19. biscuitbear says:

Well, I did try the Battenberg, and it turned into a Hell’s kitchen experience. I should have tried your recipe instead! Here are photos of the thing I produced :

20. Tabby says:

Hi Ruth – more tremendous recipes – tonight’s Battenburg is currently cooling, ready to be butchered…

But – please can you help me – every single sponge cake I make (pan or cup cake) smells and tastes overwhelming of eggs, regardless of the type of recipe/any flavourings etc. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong, or do they just breed whiffy eggs down here in South Wales?! I’d be so grateful for any tips if you have a minute. Thanks so much :-)

• The only time I’ve come across cake smelling eggy is when there is too much egg in a recipe. Not sure if you are using your own hens eggs but wondering if your eggs are very large? If they are very big, try decreasing the number you use by one and seeing if it makes a difference. x

• Tabby says:

Thanks Ruth, really appreciate your reply :-) Just bog standard medium free range eggs, organic if I can stretch to it but usually just free range. I’ll try reducing by one and see how I get on. I’d really like to try your rainbow cake (my new set of Wilton gels are calling to me…) but I saw 10 eggs and wondered if I’d be mad to try it!

• If your eggs are medium then it shouldn’t be too much egg, if you reduce the number of eggs in the recipe then I suspect there won’t be enough to hold the structure of the cake together – it is worth a try, but be prepared! Do you have a really senstive sense of smell or can other people smell it too? Also check your eggs are still in date and not off – you can put them in a bowl of water and if they float then theyre past their best and will need throwing away x