Churros & Chocolate Sauce

I’ve been meaning to make these for what seems like forever.  The recipe for them is pretty standard whereever you look so there’s no tom foolery with the basics here.  They’re easy to do, and I’ve added in my usual hints and tips (the bits the books leave out!)

250g plain flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

50g butter

250ml water

A little extra caster sugar for dusting.

1 litre sunflower oil for frying (or the use of a deep fat fryer)

I bought a deep fat fryer with doughnuts in mind, one of those cheapy ones from the supermarket.  Turns out it was a bit of a death trap, with a dodgy electrical connection.  Very quickly the fryer was resigned to the bin, turns out it was actually safer to use a pan and the hob – I didn’t want ‘real’ chips anyway!  I have digressed, in true Pink Whisk style, back to the recipe.

Chocolate Dip

150ml double cream

100g milk chocolate, chopped (use dark chocolate if you prefer)

Start by making the chocolate dip.

Place the cream in a pan and chop the chocolate into small pieces.

Heat the cream till just below boiling.

Tip in the chocolate and let it stand for two minutes.

Mix to a smooth glossy ganache and pour into a ramekin or small bowl and allow to cool.

Dip prepared now onto the Churros.

Place the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl and mix it up, a whisk is good.

Add the water and butter to a pan and heat gently until the butter melts.

Bring to the boil and boil for 1 minute.

(Note to self: don’t walk off forgetting about it and boiling for ten minutes, you have to start again)

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients in the bowl and pour in the liquid.

Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.

The batter is more of a soft squishy dough, with a consistency of a really thick choux pastry.  If yours is very dry and you don’t think it will squeeze from a piping bag add some extra water a tablespoon at a time, beating it in well.

Add the batter to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle – it needs to be a wide nozzle – at least 1.5cm wide at the opening.

You can make the batter and fill the piping bag in advance of when you want to fry it.  Squeeze the batter down so it reaches the end of the nozzle and tie a knot in the loose end of the bag.  Wrap the tip well in clingilm to stop the air getting to it.  Keep at room temperature until you’re ready to fry!

Put the oil in a large pan – make sure it’s big enough, you only want the oil to come one third of the way up.

Heat over a medium heat to 170c.  I’m using my thermometer to get to the right temp, if you have a (working) deep fat fryer you can set the thermostat.  Without a thermometer you can test for the right temp by adding a drop of batter and it should sizzle.

Please be careful, pans of hot oil need your full concentration.

Now you will need a slotted metal spoon, scissors and a plate lined with kitchen paper.

Holding the piping bag above the pan squeeze out a length of batter.  When it gets to about 5″ long snip it off with the scissors and let it drop carefully into the pan.

The batter will shrink a little in length when fried but you can also make much longer ones if you’d prefer – just remember not to overload the pan.

The batter will drop to the bottom of the oil and rest on the base of the pan.

Squeeze two or three more churros into the hot oil, trying to place them away from each other otherwise you’ll end up with one huge one in the bottom of the pan.

Let them fry for a minute before using the slotted spoon to release them from the bottom of the pan so that they float on the surface.

Fry for three to four minutes until lightly golden brown, remove them from the oil with the slotted spoon and place them to drain on the kitchen paper.  Sprinkle them with a little caster sugar.

Repeat the frying until you’ve used up all the batter.

Serve straight away with the chocolate dip!

Mmmmmm…..Churros!

This entry was posted in Chocolate, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Churros & Chocolate Sauce

1. Filipa Kay says:

I adore Churros!! I love them just dredged with cinnamon & sugar. Thanks for the recipe ! Filipa x

2. Vicky says:

They are really good if you add some ground cinnamon to the caster sugar! I made churros for the first time this weekend!

3. Becky says:

Arr I LOVE churros! Can’t wait to try this!

4. Joanna Jackson says:

I make jam and chutney each year so would benefit from a good theremometer for those but mostly I’d like to fix fudge. My first attempt was a Christmas batch for my daughters godparents, made using my grandmother-in-laws old mercury thermometer. Suffice to say something has withered with age and though it tasted lovey wasn’t quite the delightful looking home made gift I’d hoped for!

5. I LOVE churros and chocolate – I ate it practically every day on a Spanish exchange when I was 15 and fell in love with it. I put a little bit of cinnamon in the chocolate too which adds a lovely depth of flavour.

6. Jane Hughes says:

Hi Ruth, I wold love to try making Macaroons using Italian meringue method, they look so lovely and my attempt the French way was a disaster! Keep meaning to get a thermometer and never get round to it. If I’m lucky enough to win I’d have no excuse! Thanks for another great recipes, I do love your helpful tips. Jane

7. Nicola says:

They look amazing. I love churros but have never made them at home. I’ll have to try them soon :-)

8. Laura says:

These churros look amazing!! Nice work.

I would love to win one of these Thermapen’s. I’ve have “sugar thermometer” on my baking wish list for some time now…

I’ve also had “make your own Lemon Curd” on my baking to do list, so that’s the first thing I would have a go at! If I win that is :)

Happy Baking x

9. Ita says:

Yum!! We were just talking about these the other day!! I liked the ones we got from Hyde Park Christmas Market and my husband preferred the ones we had at Sea World. I wonder if mine will be even nicer when I try this recipe?! I’m going to make these with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on them! :)

10. HELEN says:

I love churros, haven’t had them in ages, they always remind me of my childhood Spanish holidays – served in a paper cone!

11. judith Hothersall says:

Have meant to find a recipe forChurros ever since I had them in southern spain. Will now try it

12. Denise says:

These are called Spanish doughnuts here and I really only have them at the market, but yours look delish.

13. Julie says:

Mmmmmm these are a reminder of lazy summer mornings in Blanes, Spain, a walk round the wonderful food market & Churros at the street cafe, Ahhhhhh

14. Angela says:

I’ve always wanted to make Italian meringue!

15. Wendy woods says:

On my second regular sugar thermometer, not seen the thermapen before. Looks fab and **swoons** at the colour. Churros look delicious, might ave a go at the weekend x

16. Josh Peacock says:

This brings back a lot of good childhood memories. My aunt, who is half Spanish, used to make it for me and my sister when we visited her and my uncle during the summer when we were kids. This recipe is really straightforward. I think I’ll make some jolly soon. Cheers!

17. Rosemary Grant says:

I love churros I tasted them abroad with cinnamon and sugar. I cant wait to try them and follow your easy to understand recipes (as they all are). Thank you so much Ruth for another amazing recipe.

Rosemary x

18. Syma says:

Hi Ruth. Made these yesterday. They tasted fantastic, but are they supposed to look a bit raw and squishy inside? Chocolate sauce was fab with dairy milk.

• No they should be cooked through on the inside – this will happen if the oil is too hot – they trick you into thinking theyre ready as the outside cooks too quickly try lowering the temp of the oil if you give it another go x

19. whoopi says:

First time to comment.I noticed that your recipes do not state how many servings. Also can one use this recipe for jammy doughnuts? Cheers