Day 4 – Cranberry & Pistachio Snow Bites

Christmas 2 008

How could you resist these for Day 4?  A super easy recipe that’s really quick to throw together and of course they are just fab for gifts.

They’re not a fudge, but not a fondant either…imagine somewhere in between.  Whatever the weather they are blooming lovely!

115g butter

150ml soured cream

300g white chocolate, melted

200g marshmallows (white)

1 tsp vanilla extract

125g dried cranberries

75g shelled pistachios

Stored air tight, these will keep for upto 1 month.

I promised you it was dead easy – there’s no hard boiling or beating like fudge, the hardest part is getting all the ingredients together!

Line a baking tray with sides with nonstick baking paper a tin approx 32 x 20cm will be just right.

Christmas 1 054

Melt the white chocolate in a bowl so it’s ready to go and pop the marshmallows into their own bowl too.

Christmas 1 052

Into a medium pan but the butter, caster sugar and the soured cream.

Christmas 1 050

Heat it gently, stirring now and then and let the butter and caster sugar melt.

Christmas 1 055

Turn up the heat and bring to the boil, stirring a bit more often this time to stop it from catching on the base of the pan.

Christmas 1 057

Testing with a sugar thermometer bring the mixture to 113c.  It only takes a fairly short time – probably about 5 minutes, and take it off the heat.

Now back to the bowl of marshmallows.  Pop them in the microwave for 20 seconds at a time until they puff up and melt.

Christmas 1 060

Add the melted white chocolate, cranberries, pistachios and vanilla to the pan mixture and stir in well.  It can look at this stage like it’s separating a bit but don’t worry.

Christmas 1 058

Christmas 1 059

In goes the melty marshmallows and another good mix.

Christmas 1 061
Christmas 1 062

Pour it into the lined tin, level out the top and leave it to set for 4 hours at room temp or overnight.

Christmas 1 063

All that’s left to do is turn it out of the tin and cube it up.

Christmas 1 073

Disposable piping bags make great presentation cones if you’re thinking of giving these away as gifts too!

Christmas 2 016

Cranberry & Pistachio Snow Bites

This entry was posted in Christmas, Treats, Twelve Days of Christmas. Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to Day 4 – Cranberry & Pistachio Snow Bites

1. Liz says:

Hi, how long will these keep? and would it be best to keep them in the fridge before giving as gifts?

2. Rachel Brown says:

How long will these keep?

3. Sonia Malik says:

These look gorgeous ! Can one do them with dark chocolate instead ?

4. rebecca mckee says:

Hi ruth, love this idea, I will definitely be giving these a try! I was wondering how long they would last? X

5. Carolyn says:

Wow these look delicious and fab as a gift. If you get a moment would you please be able to tell me how to store these and how long they would last for? Thanks for sharing :)

6. Nicola Richardson says:

Pinned !!!

Great gift ideas Ruth

Silly question but how long do they last, meaning how prepared for teachers gifts can I be?

7. Francesca says:

Sounds very yummy Ruth; I do not have a sugar thermometer though :( is it essential to reach 113c? Thank you love. xx

8. Lisa Whitworth says:

These look fab and I’ll try them soon, I was just wondering if you could use milk or dark chocolate instead of white? Also could you but things like honeycomb and chocolate chips in? Thanks Ruth x

• You can use any chocolate you prefer, I went with white just to keep the ‘snow’ look! You can chuck in any extras that aren’t going to melt instantly honeycomb sounds great but for the chocolate chips I would freeze them first so that the mixture doesn’t melt them instantly x

9. Lisa says:

These look great – definately going to try them at the weekend. Fab tip about the piping bags!! How long do you think these will keep for??

10. Danielle Dobinson says:

Hi! These look lush! How long do you think they will last for?

11. Suzanne says:

These look great :) How long do you think these would keep for? I’m thinking of making them as christmas gifts x

12. Betty Ingarfill says:

Do I need the thermometer?

• Not necessarily – gently boil the mixture for 5 minutes and then carry on as before, the marshmallow and white chocolate contribute mostly to the setting so you should be okay x

13. Gillian Nove says:

Hi Ruth,
    Quick question for you. These look amazing and I’d love to give them a try, but I don’t have a microwave! What do you suggest instead for the marshmallows? Baking? Cooking in a pan on the hob? Any advice would be great.
    Thanks :)
    Gillian

14. Vicki McLean says:

These look amazing and so simple! Can they be done using dark or milk chocolate?

15. Emma Mowatt says:

These look just lovely, thanks for sharing the recipe. How long should they last for?

16. Caroline says:

HI Ruth
    How long will whilst last for, I want to make them as a Christmas present so can I make a day before or a week before the 25th ?

Thanks Caroline

17. Diane Bell says:

just found on facebook. would like to see more.

18. Kirstie phillipson says:

Wow I’m so looking forward to trying these they look fab :0)

19. Karrie says:

These look yummy! Wish I’d got a thermometer but it’s on my Santa list as somehow lost mine in a previous house move :(

20. Sarah Revill says:

these look fab

21. Gemma Samanta says:

These look beautiful, I love the bags and now.hope my Christmas gifts look this good! X

22. Barbara says:

Thanks for this, Ruth – a great one to add to the home-made hampers this Christmas. How long do you think they’d keep for?

23. These look super tempting, Ruth. Need to get soured cream but have everything else in to include on my table at my craft fayre on Sunday. Plus I think I may be making these for teacher presents at the end of term, too. Plan to share this on my blog if you don’t mind? x

24. Gwen Alexander says:

Yummy

25. Love the look of these little Christmas parcels.

26. Kim says:

What a great gift idea, I’d love to try them but can I do it without a sugar themometer?

27. ann says:

Don’t believe they will last for a month. Gosh you need real will power to keep away from these yummy bites.

However my daughter has a nut allergy so if I omit the nuts do I have to add any more of anything else? Or can I replace the nuts with something else – like what?

28. Kim says:

Brilliant thanks Ruth!

29. Lorna says:

These look super yummy. Not for gifts, all for me!! Ha Ha

30. Jummie! I will try this!

31. Rosie says:

What a strange coincidence, last weekend I used your fudge recipe to make cranberry fudge for Christmas! This looks even better though, I’m intrigued as to what it would taste like and it looks so pretty with white, green and red. Very Christmas-sy!

32. Michelle says:

I’m going to make these tonight for presents I’ve bought enough for 2 batches just incase I eat them all! And I have to say Ruth you must have the patience of a saint the amount of times I’ve just read “up to 1 month in an airtight container” haha how long do they last again?;-)

33. Judith says:

Ruth, I have just made this. It tastes delicious even before leaving for the 4 hours but although I used a sugar thermometer and didn’t go above 113 the mix was starting to set when I added the chocolate and the mixture is golden coloured. How do you keep yours so pale in colour? Mine looks more christmas fudge than christmas snow.

• Hi Judith – I would just double check your thermometer in boiling water to check it reads 100c first. Your sugar mixture might have taken on more colour than mine if your pan was bigger or the heat higher, there’s more in contact with the heat that way and it could have started to go a golden colour? Xx

34. Marilyn Entwistle says:

Hi Ruth, we made these yesterday and they are absolutely gorgeous. I have packed them into piping bags ready for a cake sale at work on Friday. Will they keep ok in the fridge or are they best out of fridge?

35. Marilyn says:

I meant to also say that I didn’t have enough pistachio so we added almond. Also my dried cranberries were the Sainsburys orange infused. Brilliant flavour. Many thanks

36. Trish says:

Made these on saturday, hubby and kids LOVED them. Perfect for people with a sweet tooth and for anyone who like to make stuff that will be eaten!

37. Janjam says:

Made these yesterday and have cut them up and just had to taste, oh boy, they are fantastic, will have to hide them from husband. They won’t last the month! Brilliant idea to present in piping bags. Thanks Ruth, again some brilliant ideas.

38. Martin says:

made these yesterday and I got a similar result to some others in that I got a more creamy coloured mix at the end- I was using a laboratory digital thermometer and kept the heat low all the time. I also found the set was a little soft, so got more of a ragged edge when cutting up. However they are packaged up and will go to the Grandchildren for Christmas time.

39. nic says:

Hiya, is there a veggie version of these? Would it work without marshmallows? If not do you think veggie marshmallows would work? Thankyou

40. Kirstie phillipson says:

Just made it with glacie cherries and sultanas and wow it’s fab I could eat the whole tray :0)

41. Richard says:

Hi Ruth, these look fantastic and I’m definitely going to make some for Christmas presents (if they last that long). I know you’ve answered a lot of questions about storage time but I just wanted to check. Can these be stored as they are or do they need dusting with a bit of icing sugar or anything to stop them sticking together? You don’t mention it and the pictures seem to suggest it isn’t needed but I just want to be sure. Thanks, Richard

42. Colleen says:

Does nobody read the recipe?? Says quite clearly these last for 1 month if kept in an airtight container!!

43. Amanda says:

Hi Ruth,

These look fab. I am going to try making them tonight. Only problem is that I don’t have a microwave. Do I need to melt the marshmallows? If so, could I do it in a bowl like chocolate or in a pan? Or if I chopped them up or bought mini marshmallows, do you think the heat of the mixture would be enought to melt them? Many thanks, Amanda

44. Alison says:

Just made these and they were so easy!!!! Can’t wait to chop them up and make my little parcels :) (You must have left the Village to get dried cranberries though – I struggled lol)

45. Clem says:

Hi Ruth…..these look lovely…..but can it be done without sour cream or is there any other substitute to sour cream?? Thanks.

46. Mandy Padfield says:

Hi Ruth, Made these today, melted white & pink marshmallows together so not quite as festive looking bu they taste great. Is there anywhere (or a brand) you can just buy the large white marshmallows, the packs I can find are all pink & white. Ooh & I made a quick dash out to Lakeland for a thermometer, always wanted one. Thanks

47. JM says:

These look fab. I was about to have a go at making them but realised I have roasted pistachios that are salted. Will they be too salty for the recipe?

48. Claire Thomas says:

Made these the other night and cubed them up last night. Amazing. Can’t wait to give them out to my neighbours and little girl’s nursery for Christmas. Brilliant little gift idea. Thanks Ruth x

49. Sam keeper says:

Brilliant tummy recipe, thanks! Mine are all bagged up ready to put in my little hampers for the family. I just have to make sure there is a bag or 2 left over!

50. Sharon Newick says:

Made these along with Chocolate Frosted Traybake for work instead of Christmas Cards. They went down a storm.