Day 10 – Chocolate Meringue Roulade

DSC04007Last years Toffee Pecan Roulade went down an absolute storm so I thought this year I’d share a chocolate version.  They’re so brilliant because they’re freezable!  Make it now and stash it in the freezer for a Christmas dessert.

Roulade

Cream

300ml double cream

3 tbsps icing sugar

50g chocolate curls

Popping candy (optional)

Cocoa powder to dust

Meringue roulade first.  Grease and line a 36 x 26cm shallow sided baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Preheat the oven to 130c(fan)/150c/Gas Mark 2

DSC_8713

Whisk the egg whites with the cornflour until the mixture is foamy.

DSC_8714 DSC_8715

Continue to whisk and add the caster sugar 1 spoonful at a time until is has all been added and the mixture is thick and glossy.

DSC_8717

Whisk in the cocoa powder.

DSC_8718 DSC_8719

Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and roughly level, pushing it into the corners of the tin.

DSC_8720 DSC_8721

Bake in the oven for approx 45 minutes to 1 hour.  Keep an eye on it, you want the top to crust but the underneath to still be nice and mallowy so it’s flexible enough to roll.

DSC_8723

Take it from the oven and allow to cool in the tin completely.

When it’s cooled you need to prep the meringue for assembly and the chocolate caramel.

Lay out a sheet of baking paper on your worksurface and sprinkle it lightly with icing sugar.  Turn out the meringue onto it and gently release and peel away the paper.

DSC_8730 DSC_8731

Warm the condensed milk, butter, soft brown sugar and cocoa powder in a pan over a gentle heat, stirring frequently until the butter has melted.

DSC_8724

Increase the heat a little and bring the mixture to the boil.  Simmer it for 1 minute before taking it off the heat.

DSC_8732

Pour it over the meringue and spread it out evenly.  Allow it to cool – roughly 30 minutes.  It’s important for it to be completely cool before adding the cream otherwise it will melt and you will end up with soup!

DSC_8733 DSC_8734

Once the chocolate caramel is fully cooled softly whip together the double cream with the icing sugar and spread over the roulade.

DSC_8727 DSC_8735

Top with the chocolate curls and a sprinkling of popping candy!

Cut through one end of the roulade – about 1.5cm in and flip it over onto itself – this starts off the swirl of the roulade.

DSC_8736

Grasp the end of the baking paper that the roulade is sitting on and use it to roll the roulade up on itself.

DSC_8737

When you get to the end wrap the roulade in the baking paper as a log and chill it in the fridge for 1 hour before taking out, unwrapping and dusting with a little cocoa powder and a few extra chocolate curls.

Serve!

Once rolled and wrapped this dessert can be easily frozen for producing in a ta-dah! type motion at a later Christmas date!  Simply defrost on a serving plate, sprinkle with cocoa powder and chocolate curls and serve at your leisure.

DSC03918

Chocolate Meringue Roulade

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in Chocolate, Christmas, Meringue, Pudding, Treats, Twelve Days of Christmas. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Day 10 – Chocolate Meringue Roulade

1. Lisa Whitworth says:

Hi Ruth, could you use the carnation chocolate caramel in a tin for this and if yes how much should you use? X

2. dorothy says:

The ingredient cornflour. Literally or is that a misprint.
    I am in USA and maybe you refer to all purpose as cornflour. please help Thank you
    Merry Christmas

3. Jane says:

Hi Ruth, last years toffee pecan roulade used the tinned caramel instead of condensed milk as you said it didn’t separate on freezing like homemade caramel might. Will this one be ok on defrosting? Thanks, would love to make this for christmas!

4. Julie says:

Dorothy,

Cornflour is called cornstarch in the U.S.!

5. Laura Dodson says:

Brilliant thank you Ruth! And great timing for me as wanting to get ahead and freeze a Christmas dessert. Am also considering a baileys cream and hazelnut version. Will let you know how it goes!

6. Laura says:

Hi Ruth, I’ve decided to make this for Christmas dessert. Looks absolutely fabulous. Just wondering the best way to wrap when freezing? Is it ok use just a food bag on its own? Many thanks.

• Laura says:

Hello again, I made the meringue this afternoon and it’s not looking good in the tray now I’ve taken it out of the oven:( Wondering if I have over cooked it? I did 1hr 6 mins. The top crust bit has come away from the mallowy underneath part and in places there is a 1 inch gap! Thinking it will be impossible to roll this and should I start again and cook for slightly less time.

Any advice will be greatly appreciate:-) Many thanks, Laura

• Hi Laura – yes it sounds like its overdone – hope you’ve time to make another xx

• Laura says:

Thanks Ruth:-) Having another go at this today.. having just re read the method, I realise now I misread the cooking time first time round!! So I hope it is a success today when cooking for less time. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you! xx

• I would wrap it in clingfilm and then into a food bag for the freezer x

7. Jody says:

Hi is this recipe gluten free? Thanks

8. Annette says:

I am amazed at how easy this was and even more amazed at how good it is going to make me look!! Ha ha! Thank you. Merry Christmas x

9. kathy says:

hi Ruth
    have just made the roulade. it seems so brittle! will i be able to roll, once i add the caramel? also have broken bits at the corners. would so love this for dessert. many thanks

• Hi Kathy, if it’s brittle then its probably overcooked – see if you can roll it, sometimes it will but otherwise you’ll have to bake another for less time, you need it to be mallowy with just a crisp crust to allow it to roll. x

10. Debbie says:

Hmmm, so I made the mixture, but after whisking it didn’t really thicken up and so was much more loose than your pics show putting into the oven, I have popped it in anyway any just wonder whether it is likely to work or will I have to start all over again!!!! Any advice would be much appreciated x

• Hi Debbie, usually egg whites won’t whip up nicely for meringue if the bowl to whisks have a trace of grease or egg yolks if you’re trying again just wash the bowl and whisk in hot soapy water before you add the whites then you should be okay x

11. Emma says:

I am just basking in the glory of another fantastic Pink Whisk recipe – had the family round for an early Christmas gathering and the whole thing was pretty much devoured before anyone had time to admire the icing sugar art on my new slate presentation board I bought especially for the occasion! Will be knocking up plenty more of these in the future and experimenting with a few different flavours. Thanks Ruth!x

12. Jess says:

Hi Ruth, how much time do I need to allow for this to defrost? Thanks.

13. Jackie Moore says:

Help, the chocolate caramel looks much runnier than in the picture. What can I do to make thicker?

14. Debbie King says:

Hi Ruth, I am making this today, for tomorrow, will it keep in the fridge ok? Many thanks

15. Jane says:

Made and served for Christmas – everyone loved it! There were lots of omgs! Thank heavens they were too stuffed to finish it completely – just had another portion all to myself! I think I overdid the caramel though, it seemed chewy, boiled for about 3. Mins but no one seemed to mind and it was still delicious. I guess this recipe Could have endless variations. It’s a keeper!