Chocolate and Peanut Butter Bars

In my last post I promised you a treat and here it is, Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars – delicious straight from the fridge -I dare you to only eat one!

Cookie Dough
180g dark brown sugar
125g butter
1 egg
200g plain flour
20g malted drink powder (Ovaltine)
50g cocoa powder
3/4tsp salt
2/4tsp bicarbonate of soda

Peanut Butter Filling
250g icing sugar
4 tbsp peanut butter (crunchy or smooth whichever you prefer)
25g butter
100g marshmallows

200g milk chocolate

Preheat the oven to 180c/160c Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4
Begin by making the cookie dough base. Its really easy…let’s see…

Chuck all your ingredients in a bowl and mix really well with an electric mixer.

Ta da lovely cookie dough mixture.  If you feel like it you can give up at this point and just make cookies instead – shape them into small balls and place on a baking tray, pop them in a medium oven for about ten minutes.
If you’ve not given in and are sticking with me find yourself a baking pan approx 20 x 30cm.  Line it with greaseproof paper and tip the cookie mix in. (There’s a lot of chucking and tipping in this post – stick with it the kamakazee approach works!)

Spread it out evenly(ish) in the base of the pan using the back of a spoon.

Ok so mine isn’t that even – I did say even(ish)!
Pop it in the oven for 12-15 minutes until puffy and cooked through.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Meanwhile you can get on with making the peanut butter layer.

Cream together the butter and peanut butter.

Pop the marshmallows into a bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.  The marshmallows should be all melty and look something like this

Add the gooey marshmallow to the peanut mixture and beat well. Now add in the icing sugar and enough water to make a spreadable consistency.
This will probably be about 4-6tbps.

Now spread this layer over the top of the cookie mixture and put it into the fridge to chill.

Melt the milk chocolate and pour over the chilled cookie/peanut combo.

Spread it evenly across the top for a flat finish or wiggle a fork across the top like I have (because as already proved I don’t do even).

Return to the fridge to chill.  Cut into squares and serve.

Best served straight out of the fridge!

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Bars
Ruth Clemens Baker
Ruth Clemens, Baker ExtraordinaireContestant on BBC2′s The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Chocolate, Peanut, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Chocolate and Peanut Butter Bars

1. Kirsti says:

OMG…they look divine – am mentally going thru my store cupboard reading the recipe to see what I would need to buy….lol…I am supposed to be going on a diet tomorrow when the kids go back to school!!!! Can I resist???…Good luck with the show…x

2. Becky aka HyperHeavenly says:

They look lovely. We are baking muffins at the mo and your blog is making me want to cook these now too! x

3. Hysteri-CAL says:

Congratulations on getting through Stage 1 – all your creations looked divine – just wish I could have tasted them too !!! Good luck with the rest of the competition, although I doubt you will need it !

4. Star Bakery says:

OK, I need to make these NOW! I love a good peanut butter recipe and these look perfect.

5. Sara says:

These look amazing, I'm going straight out in the morning to buy everything I need!!

Hi Ruth
    Loved the show and think you should have won, I made these last night and have brought them to work, they have gone down a treat, many thanks, I have saved your site to my favourites and look forward to trying more of your recipes.
    Heather

7. Ann Freeman (mafswife) says:

Naughty lady showing me such divine things!!
    These are being made for our next charity bake off at work – we generally raise £80-£100 each month having a cake sale, so thanks for your help baking something new!

Hi, By 3/4 tsp of salt do you mean 3 to 4 tsp or do you mean three quarters of a tsp? And the same for the bicarb? Sorry for being dozy here!! I've already made these the other day (taking a lucky guess with the teaspoons)and they were fantastic.

3/4 = three quarters of a teaspoon xx

10. julie says:

omg ive just made these,and as i have made them
    only fair i should try them before everyone comes round?
    well im in heaven where can i hide some??
    gorgeous Ruth thank you for sharing the recipe
    i vote more peanut butter recipes!!!
    yummy!!
    p.s dont bother with the calories here im not looking!!

11. Paypol says:

Very lovely….I ran out of icing sugar at 190g and used two types of light brown sugar and some white to get the whole amount (note to self to check ingredients before cooking!) and it was lovely. Also used 1/2tsp salt and drinking chocolate on recommendation of a friend, and had no bicarb so used 1 1/2tsp baking powder!

Am so bad at following recipes but these where gorgeous!

12. Kerstin says:

Hi!

Made these last week and loved them!!!! I'll do them again soon – and possibly lots of other recipes from your page…

Many greetings from Austria!

Btw.: You surely know a good Chocolate Muffin Recipe – could you share it???

13. Rebekah says:

These are bloody amazing! Absolutely gorgeous and your recipe is so clear and easy to follow! I'm going to also use the base recipe for making cookies.
    Thanks Ruth

14. Beth says:

These sound incredible. I will definitely try them. However, could I substitute something for the marshmallows? I’m vegetarian. Thanks Ruth!

15. Pingback: Christmas catch-up « gracemakes

16. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars | CJsPalace Blog

17. julie says:

wow these look great,on my baking list for next week.:) x

18. Francesca says:

I made these last night, I used unsalted butter, but I havent found the base to be as short or as chewy like a cookie dough, I wonder if it was the tin size, I used a square 7 x 7 and the base is very thick.

19. Sue says:

sorry for being dense but just how much cookie dough are you supposed to use?

20. Sue says:

Sorry, I can appreciaate that I need to use all the dough but in the ingredients it just says cookie dough it dosent tell you how much your suppose to use in grams or ounces. Should I just use a whole tub?

21. Emma says:

Omg those look lovely will have to tussle those up for Christmas one thinks. Xx

22. kirsty hazlewood says:

My nan would love these, going to be in the kitchen everyday until christmas at this rate with all these fabulous recipes :)

23. Zoe says:

Hi Ruth, this is fab n got eaten immediately n havin comps about how many squares they could eat in one day. ,!!!!! However just want to check as my cookie dough always comes out very very dry an crumbly n I have to really squish it together, am just making cookies alone now so will see how they turn out?? But is it normal to have such a dry mixture or am I doing something wrong????? Thanks xx

• It is fairly dry but it shouldn’t be as crumbly as you describe. It can depend a lot on the size of eggs, I always use large, if you’re using medium I’d add 2 instead of 1 which should make things a lot easier! x