Super Zingy Lemon Cake – Fit for the Queen!

Super Zingy Lemon Cake - The Great British Bake Off

You may have seen the first episode of The Great British Bake Off where I managed to concoct a Super Zingy Lemon Cake – fit for the Queen.

I have had many requests for this recipe but haven’t managed to do a step by step for you but never fear the recipe is printed in the current issue of BBC Good Food Magazine and is also online on the BBC (how cool is that!)

You will need to make the Super Zingy Lemon Curd which can be found here on The Pink Whisk and then follow this link to the BBC, in the meantime I will get my finger out and make you one to follow step by step!

Ruth Clemens Baker
Ruth Clemens, Baker ExtraordinaireContestant on BBC2′s The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Cake, Lemon, The Great British Bake Off. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Super Zingy Lemon Cake – Fit for the Queen!

1. Dom at Belleau Kitchen says:

wow… great blog and great cake… love lemon curd and anything with it in it… great for Lemon Curd ice Cream… so hungry now!

2. Nic's Notebook says:

Lovely – can't wait to try it. Lemon drizzle cake is one of my favourites :)

3. *sarah berry design* says:

Hi Ruth, I loved watching you on the Bake Off, you were my favourite!

So excited to see the step by step guide for the cake I'm making it this weekend for my mums birthday! I'm making candied lemon peel right now..is it ok to make it with homemade candied lemon peel?! And should the pieces be very large?
    xo Sarah

Sarah – homemade candied peel is absolutely the best, I cut it into quite large pieces xx

5. dot says:

i got a lot of pleasure from watching you on gbbo you did fantastic so did ed, i would not like to have been the person doing the judging , it was a close call

6. Astrid says:

Dear Ruth,

I loved you on The great british bake off, in my opion you should have won.
    No doubt that you will get where you want to be.

Thank you so much for the lemon cake recipe, i`m going to make it this weekend, can`t wait ;-).

I wish you the very best…….i subscribed to your blog so i can`t miss a thing.

Best regards,

Astrid (the Netherlands)

7. Mossy says:

Just made this for my husbands birthday! Made it to the recipe on the BBC website but then came back here to use your lemon curd recipe as yours is straight in the pan rather than over water. Smells amazing, and the lemon curd was so easy to make!! Can't wait to eat it!! Thank you :)

8. Marieke says:

Dear Ruth,

Can't wait for you to give a step by step for this recipe. I would like to know how much lemon juice goes into it (maybe you can measure the amount). Lemons come in all shapes and seizes. Same with eggs, I use organic eggs which are not that uniform in seize. It can make a big difference in the end result. (even more so when making things like macaron we found out). Last but not least the beating of the eggs in the butter and sugar. How long and at what speed do you mix? Hope you can enlighten us!

Marieke – I will measure the lemon juice next time I make it and let you know. I head for large lemons, not the small tight ones. If you seem to be getting a small amount of juice from the lemons I add the juice of one extra lemon.

Eggs wise – large. I use my own chicken eggs which vary a lot in size to, I mix and match one smaller one for every one extra large one!

Beating the butter and sugar, high speed for about three minutes xx

10. Marieke says:

Thank you so much Ruth, the recipe is definitely worth several attempts to get it right. Having your own chickens must be great! If only we could have our own lemon trees…

I would also be very interested in a 'lesson' from you on how to be organized when baking, i.o.w. a little writing on how you are so efficient and fast and still get those great results.

11. Lydia says:

Ruth

I made this at the weekend and it was fantastic. I did worry however, as I used the Kitchenaid when i added the eggs (even on the slowest setting) as it looked to have curdled. However, the texture was fine when it turned out.

Should it have curdled??!

Lydia

Lydia – the lemon juice will usually curdle the mixture due to the acidity. If it was just when adding the eggs add a couple of tablespoons of the flour with the eggs and then that should stop it x

13. Lydia says:

Brilliant, thank you.

14. Alison O'Donnell says:

A friend at work wants me to make her son a lemon drizzle birthday cake for his 21st, so was going to use your recipe, but the link to the BBC says it is a 'drizzle cake' but no mention of the drizzle in the recipe!! Can you help me? making it next week x

It's not a drizzle because in the end I didn't add a drizzle to it because it didnt need it. If you want to add the glaze mix 200g icing sugar with the juice of 2 lemons and pour over the top! x

16. Hilsters says:

Am going to attempt this for my other half's birthday this weekend, was sent the link by Bakers Bunny, looks tremendous, hope I'm up for the task! Love your blog :)

17. Nikki says:

just made this today and OMG – it worked and was/is wonderful! The lemon curd is just amazing too and I’ve got the bug now for making some for gifts for Christmas. Thanks Ruth x

18. Arch says:

I made this cake and your lemon curd for a family meal this weekend. Rave reviews; thank you so much.
    I updated my notes of the recipe from the BBC site with your comments here but I’d like to see a step by step from you regardless.
    I’ve followed you blog since GBBO and continent to use your recipes and advice as frequently as possible.
    Please keep doing what you’re doing; you are an inspiration.