Chocolate Orange Macaroons

Another fab flavour Mac for you – Chocolate Orange they’re not Terry’s they’re mine!
You will need:

1 batch of Macaroons dyed bright orange (recipe here)

Dust them lightly with cocoa powder as soon as they have been piped.

Orange Ganache
100g milk chocolate
100ml double cream
1 tsp orange extract

Make up the ganache by placing the cream in a pan.

Chop the chocolate into small pieces.

Heat the cream to just below boiling point.

Take from the heat and add the chopped chocolate.  Allow it to stand for a couple of minutes.

Now stir through until lovely and glossy.

Add a teaspoon of orange essence and stir well.  I’m using this one here which is available from Lakeland but I have been using a Taste The Difference one from Sainsburys recently which is absolutely fabulous and a complete bargain too!

Transfer the ganache to a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.

Once cooled add to a piping bag with a large round tip.

Match up the Mac’s with a similar sized top and bottom on a clean tea towel folded in half.

Pipe a blob of ganache onto each bottom.

Sandwich the tops on carefully – don’t press too hard otherwise you’ll break them and then be forced to eat the rejects!

These are the favourites in our house at the moment scoring higher than the White Choc and Raspberry.  I was quite pleased that they didn’t actually remind me of anything they shouldn’t until my eldest came home from school and announced that they looked like mini-burgers – aaarghhhh!

Chocolate Orange Macaroons

Chocolate Orange Macaroons

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Chocolate, Macaroons, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Chocolate Orange Macaroons

1. Made With Pink says:

Those look amazing! They're perfect! I seriously need to improve my macaroon skills. some batches turn out perfect, while others are cracked to bits. Do you have any tips for fan assisted ovens? I've got a nice thick baking sheet to use, but my oven never really stays at a contestant temp – even though it's fan assisted.

2. Cupcake Kelly says:

Love the bright color! No matter how bright I seem to make my batter the color always fades in the oven!

3. Ladkyis says:

I quite like food that looks like other food, after all we put marzipan fruit on cakes so havein macaroons that look like mini burgers is just cute. I wish I could eat them.

Made With Pink – its a too hot oven that will crack them. Head for a lower oven heat and leave the temp to level for a good half an hour before using. My oven always keeps getting hotter if I use it too soon.

Cupcake Kelly – again a lower temperature will help the colours stay vibrant x

5. TheFoodieHistorian says:

These look absolutely gorgeous! There's a gorgeous coffee shop near my house that tempts me with these on my way to work every morning, but they're incredibly expensive. I'm so tempted to have a go at making some over the weekend – mainly because they're beautiful and I'm a massive fan of chocolate orange! Is it wrong to cook things just because they are pretty!?

Thanks – no its not wrong to cook things just because they're pretty – not at all! xx

7. Janice says:

They do look like mini-burgers, but as long as they don't taste of burgers, I'm sure they will be a big hit!

8. PlumLeaf 李葉 says:

lolololol Ruth! You keep making me laugh what with your 'False-Nashers raspberry Mac's, Pale Booby Mac's and now Burger Mac's'!!! Can't wait for the next flavour!!!

9. traceyh says:

oh i really like the look of these and would love to have a go at makeing them,but i havnt got bake o glide…..:( would it be worth trying greaseproof paper?? x

Traceyh – try greaseproof paper and then when they come out slide the sheet of greaseproof paper with the macs still on onto a dampened teatowel to help them stop sticking x

11. Laura says:

I have been looking at Bake o Glide online since it's been mentioned a few times on here but can't find many reviews, but what i have found has been positive. Am i right that it's a reusable sheet in different shapes that can be washed up, and will not need greasing before lining? Or do you still grease it depending on recipes? Thanks

12. traceyh says:

hi ruth, thank you for that ,i will try it and let you know how it goes.
    and a big thankyou for all the great recipes!
    xx

Laura – yes its a reusable sheet, which you can cut to suit your trays/tins. You won't need to grease at all, the sheet does all the work and then just wash, dry and use it again and again. Well worth the investment x

14. Dom at Belleau Kitchen says:

just wanted to stop by and say hi… I love your blog (now a follower) and will try these choc orange macaroons (even though I promised myself i'd never make them)… I had my audition for the great british bake off 2011 yesterday but didn't get through to the next round… was a bit glum yesterday but now have my chin up and carrying on! x

Hi Dom – thanks for dropping in. Sorry to hear you didnt get through this time – bake on! xx

i had macaroons in france and now im hooked to them!

Hi Ruth!
    How long will the macaroons last for? I'm planning on making these to sick round the edge of a cake, could make them the day before and then fill them the day they are going to be eaten??
    Thanks Xx

The macaroons will keep unfilled for 3-4 days so you can make them in advance and then fill when you need them x

Hi Ruth! So far I have attempted macarons twice. The first batch just cracked like mad and had no feet. For the second batch, I lowered the oven temp significantly, and I got feet…but they were lopsided and the macarons were a bit flat and not at all glossy :( Any tips?

Tips for Mac's – keep trying and stay patient (both things I have difficulty with) Its all down to the right amount of mixing when folding in the ground almonds, its a very fine line between overmixing and them being just right, which I realise doesn't help you one bit. You did the right thing lowering the temp but sounds like they were slightly overmixed which made them flat and matt, a little less mixing and your lower temp and you should be on the right track x

21. Frankie says:

Hi Ruth…after several goes at macarons, with different recipes etc, I have just made your orange and chocolate recipe…they are fantastic and you are a legend…thanks x

22. Pingback: Chocolate and Orange Macarons | The School Cook