Cheese & Onion Bread

Cheese & Onion Bread

There’s nothing more my boys love than a steaming bowl of hearty homemade soup with a good helping of bread for dipping in it.  This cheese and onion bread is delicious dunked, on it’s own or made into a butty!

1 onion, diced
25g butter (1 knob)
450g strong white plain flour
200g mature cheese, grated
1tsp salt
1tsp caster sugar
1tsp fast acting dried yeast
200ml  milk
100ml water
25g butter, melted

Sautee the chopped onion gently in the pan with the butter until soft.

Place the  cooked onion in a bowl to cool to room temperature.

Grate the cheese and split in half.

To a large bowl add the flour, salt, and sugar.

Measure out the liquids, it needs to be tepid so I use milk straight from the fridge and then top up with water from the boiled kettle.  It’s always just boiled the amount of cups of tea I drink.

In a small bowl place the dried yeast,  add a couple of tablespoons of liquid from the jug and mix them together.  This gets the yeast activated and helps you along the way to success.

To the flour mixture add 100g of the cheese and the cooled onion.
Give it a good stir.

Make a well in the centre and add the liquid and the yeast.

Now’s where it gets messy.  Get your hands in and work it all together until it forms a rough dough.  As per usual you can do this in the breadmaker on the dough setting just adding everything in or in a stand mixer with the dough hook attached.

Something funny has come over me recently and I have been doing a lot of things by hand (must have had a blow to the head).  So I am very proud to say that I kneaded my dough by hand for a full ten minutes.  Alternatively I would have given it 5 minutes in the mixer.  Like I say, I don’t know what’s come over me!

You shouldn’t need any extra flour on the work surface,  the dough may seem a little sticky to begin with but as you work it together it will stop sticking to you and form a smooth dough.

After kneading the dough will be much smoother and elastic.

Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to rise for an hour or until doubled in size.  It will need to be somewhere fairly warm otherwise it will take longer than an hour.

After it has doubled nicely in size tip the dough out onto your worksurface and knock it back.  A quick pummel with your fists and fingers does the job nicely and you will feel the air puff out of it.  Knead the bread for a couple of minutes.

Split the dough into 16 equal pieces.  Roll each piece into a smooth ball.

Once in a ball place the dough on the worksurface and your hand over it like a cage.

Work your hand in a circular motion keeping your fingertips stuck to the worksurface and use your fingers to keep the ball of dough inside them.  This will make you perfect balls of dough.

Take a square shallow baking tray,  approx 9″ square is ideal, and grease well.

Place all the balls of dough into the tray.

Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise again somewhere warm for an hour or until the balls are nice and puffed up.

Preheat the oven to 200c Fan/220c/Gas Mark 7.

Melt 25g of butter and brush liberally over the dough.

Sprinkle with the remaining 100g of grated cheese.

Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until beautifully golden and cooked through.

Cheese & Onion Bread

Cheese & Onion Bread

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Bread, Cheese, Onion, Savoury. Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Cheese & Onion Bread

1. lindyloo says:

Mmmmmm !!! I want this now, making this ASAP it looks totally amazing………how do I print this recipe :-( x Linda Hone

Linda – if you click on the recipe title Cheese & Onion Bread then scroll down to the end of the post there should be a print this page button – that should do the trick! x

3. Franziska says:

These look nice. I'll bake them tomorrow. I was thinking of a savoury alternative to my cakes I sell in my local pub. How long do you think they will keep?

The printing option needs to be configured. You end up with 15 pages for this recipe.

4. julieh says:

oh ive just wrote this out and its on my board,
    ready for when i make a stew yummy
    (my mouth is watering!):)X

5. Jane says:

Ruth so glad to see a recipe, I check in every day and it's always great to get something new – this looks a keeper! I try to make everything at least 50% wholegrain, so I am going to try this with half wholewheat flour, upping the liquids a tad.
    Thanks again
    Jane

6. Shazza says:

yummy, I have to try this

Franziska – like any bread they are best the day you make them, but will keep for upto 3 days. They freeze brilliantly too.

Will have a look at the printing business…but I'm not too technically minded! xx

8. Jessi says:

The cheese & onion bread is rising as we speak, but my dough remained quite wet… I wonder how it'll turn out. Smells promising.

9. Jill says:

Can't wait to try this Ruth, I have some home made vegetable soup in the freezer that this will go down a treat with :)

10. Ladkyis says:

You don't give an oven temp – at least I can't see it. I am assuming it is sort of normal bread temp?

11. Holly @ Recipes from a Normal Mum says:

Does it get any better? My fave crisp flavour in bread format…

12. gloryb says:

Mmmm this looks wonderful! I'm making soup for lunch today – might just have to make this as well!

Ladyis – Preheat the oven to 200c Fan/220c/Gas Mark 7. just before you melt the butter x

14. PinkCat says:

I haven't had cheese and onion bread for years. Must try this! x

15. Catherine says:

Looks gorgeous Ruth, going to give it a go later for 'tear and share' to have with a cheeky glass of wine. Love your recipes, keep us posted on your recipe book plans! xx

16. Pauline says:

Do you think I could make the dough in the bread maker? Then take out & make the balls, and bake?

17. Jessi says:

The bread turned out great! Thanks for the recipe!

Pauline – yep chuck the ingredients in the breadmaker to make the dough for you – should work a treat! xx

19. traceyh says:

made this bread on saturday, it was gorgeous!
    thank you ruth for another great recipe.x

20. Moofy says:

Looks delicious! I'm really getting into making different breads at the moment. I'll definitely give this a try!

21. Richteab says:

Brilliant! Made this today & its sure to become a favourite

22. Midge says:

Made it and ate it!! Absolutely gorgeous Ruth, thank you for sharing all your recipies.

23. Jules says:

oh my oh my! I just made this tonight, way over here in the U.S.A. – it was delicious! (And very dangerous, since I'll want to eat the remaining half of it all by myself, tomorrow.) My husband says "THANK YOU!!!"

24. Offley Hoo says:

Hi Ruth, lovely blog have you ever compared scalded milk in bread recipes with straight from fridge?

We have found that unscalded milk inhibits yeast and now always scald the milk and cool before using in breads as we get far better results.

Thank you Offley Hoo! I have tried it and I understand what it should do however in my experience it doesn't give me any better results so I'm in favour of using it as is and saving myself washing up another pan! I think its probably more important with breads that are more difficult to get a rise such as sourdough breads and breads with wholemeal flour x

26. Kate says:

Hi Ruth! I just made this bread, and i can't wait to taste it! I used half of the ingredients, as there's only two of us :-)

You can see the picture on my tumblr: http://kateclara.tumblr.com/

Keep up the good work, i love your blog!

xx Kate from Brussels

27. Emma says:

I have made this three times now and each time it has been superb! I am new to baking and VERY nervous. I don't expect things to turn out and I worried about making bread as people lead you to believe it's very difficult, but I am so proud of myself and this is so easy!

Many thanks, Ruth!

Emma x

28. Roz says:

Hi Ruth, just wondering how I would make this with fresh yeast?

Hi Roz 1 and 1/2 tsp of dried yeast would replace the fresh yeast xx

30. Emma says:

Oh my! I made this last night to go with some veg soup and it’s amazing. I have a hubby who loves bread so he was very happy too! :)

31. Jan says:

I’ve just put a double batch of this lovely bread in the oven. Am making it for my grandson’s nursery’s Halloween party to go with pumpkin soup. It was rather hard making such a big dough but the balls rose beautifully so I’m sure it will turn out just as tasty as usual.

32. Craig Anderson says:

Tried this bread and my dough was a bit wet but still turned out great, although stuck to the tin a bit, I should maybe have floured and oiled it.

Just out of interest I put this recipe into the Tesco diet club site (Just for details and not to put out Ruth) It came up with the following per Roll:-
    Calories 149 7%
    Sugar 1.9g 2%
    Fat 3.2g 5%
    Saturates 1.5g 8%
    That was using light cheddar cheese and olive oil instead of butter.

33. Denise says:

This recipe looks wonderful. How much fresh yeast would I need to use?

34. Jen says:

I just cooked these for the first time, (I’ve never even tried making bread before), so I was a bit skeptical.
    However, they turned out amazing, absolutely delicious. My family are already fighting over who gets the most!
    Great recipe!

35. Sound delish!
    May well try these over the weekend depending on time.

36. ali mckenzie says:

i love the cheese and onion combo, yummy

37. Aly Makin says:

Mmm I’m going to get baking, just reading the recipe has made me hungry!

38. Pingback: Cheesy Onion Bread Recipe | hclappy scraps

39. Dawn says:

Made this last night – only 1 piece left! Really yummy and easy to make. Can see this being a regular bake.

40. Baby Lolo & Mummy says:

Ooh just read the recipe and all the comments and had to try! It’s now proving, hope it turns out like the pic!

41. helen says:

Been meaning to try this for ages and having ordered too much cheese I finally did it today. All by hand as well. Let’s just say my husband won’t let me freeze any of it as it’ll be gone in no time! Great recipe. Thanks Ruth. X

42. zia says:

if i half this recipe, will it still work

43. I’ve made the cheese and onion one and it was delicious! I was wondering if you added chilli and garlic instead of onion would this recipe still be as tasty?im a bread making novice!!

44. Pingback: Cheese and Onion Bread | Frantastic Food