In The Pink Whisk Kitchen…My Pride and Joy

What would my pride and joy be? I bet you’re all thinking its a fancy bit of equipment or in fact a super cool pink stand mixer of the Kitchen Aid variety?  Well you’d be wrong, my pride and joy is my oven.

Buying a fancy pants oven was never on my list of priorities, in a house where being strapped for cash is the norm when we were buying our oven the budget was meagre.  Baking day in day out from sunrise to sunset for the Bake Off nearly killed my oven, it developed a death rattle and wouldn’t heat up above 180c, we limped along together.

On the set of Bake Off we had superly expensive Neff Ovens, we’re talking over £1,000 each – holey moley!  Disappointingly for said brand new mega bucks ovens the doors came off in our hands (frequently), they cut out in protest after being on for three hours or so.  I came away very dissappointed with the all singing all dancing, remortgage your house Neff Ovens, they were definitely crossed off my list.

Stoves however came to my dying ovens rescue and offered me one of their ovens the SEB600MFS to be exact, it retails around £340.  The oven has now been in operation for a couple of months in my kitchen, tested to it’s limits and it is indeed my pride and joy plus I’m ready to tell you all about it.

If you’re looking for a new oven you really can’t go wrong with this one!
FSSEB600MFS
I’m not going to give you the full spec. but you can find it here, what I will do is tell you from a baking point of view why for me it’s the perfect bakers oven.
Unlike many electric fan ovens you can turn off the element in the top and just bake with the fan – the top element plays havoc when baking anything as it browns cakes quickly before they’re cooked through and will ruin a bake.My dead oven had to have one shelf positioned at the top with a big baking tray on to protect whatever was baking below.
The thermostat is ACCURATE – heck that’s a first for any of my ovens, I still bake with an oven thermometer just for reassurance – old habits die hard.
Two telescopic slider shelves and eight shelf positions, you wouldn’t believe what a difference these make to the cake tin/baking tray juggling act, no more burnt arms for me!
The biggest test I know for an oven is baking a Victoria sponge or a tray of cupcakes, invariably one side browns too quickly, the Stoves oven gives a completely even bake right across the shelf = perfectly domed sponge and cupcakes, no more cracked volcanos for me.
So do I like it?  Too right I do, my Stoves oven is my pride and joy.  If you’re looking for the perfect baking oven I have no hesitation in recommending this one.  Oh and you can cook in it too, trouble is I don’t find that half as enjoyable!
Stoves
Due to lots of requests asking what equipment I can’t live without I’ll be bringing you more In The Pink Whisk kitchen episodes as the weeks go by (In between the recipes of course).

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in In The Pink Whisk Kitchen, Ruth's Chat. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to In The Pink Whisk Kitchen…My Pride and Joy

1. Dom at Belleau Kitchen says:

Fascinating stuff Ruth. Builders have just started on our kitchen extension and this is the perfect opp for me to buy a new oven which I'm very worried about. My current oven in rubbish but it's my rubbish and I ride her like a surfer dedicated to the wave. Great to get your opinion on Stove. Thank you x oh and I'm going to be baking my 12inch whopper cake on Friday … I'll keep you informed xx

2. Steph says:

My oven broke two days before Xmas 2009. None of the big stores could deliver me one until the new year and someone recomended a local Euronics store. The only slide in cooker they had was a Stoves one and they could deliver the same day so I grabbed it with both hands. I can honestly say it is the best cooker I have ever had and will never go back to a Belling again which was the make of my 3 previous ones!

3. Stephanie says:

This is fantastic – this post came just in time as I'm looking for a new oven. The price isn't too horrendous either.
    I have an oven that is 20 years old, inherited from the previous house owners – no wonder they left it behind! It burns anything that sits a little too far back on the shelves.
    Thank you Ruth!

4. Claire says:

I have a lovely freestanding Cannon oven – gas hob and electric oven, which was perfect for baking, and had a very acurate thermostat. Unfortunately though when we moved house it must have got knocked as it no longer cooks evenly and the thermostat is no longer accurate, so I now have to turn things round half way through cooking otherwise half is burnt. Having said that, I still love it….

5. Los Angeles Alarm Companies says:

This was very informative. I have been reading your blog a lot over the past few days and it has earned a place in my bookmarks.

6. silks'n'sweets says:

I'm so glad I came across this post – desperately need a new oven as the one I inherited when I bought my house is gas, small and unreliable (that's about as nice as I can be about it). I do a lot of baking, often for special occasions for friends, so I need a good reliable oven. I will definitely be looking into a Stoves oven! Love all the functions and options for baking, and recommendations are always better than shop specs.

7. prolix says:

I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts.
    Cooking Equipment

8. narf7 says:

I just watched you on The Great British Bake Off. I had recorded it months ago and just decided to watch it. What tension! I think that you were gipped, but Ed needed to move on from the bank so you didn’t come second, you allowed Ed to change his life, what a nice person :o). Anyway, I just signed up for your blog newsletters and will have great fun working through them. I must admit my stove is a wood stove. Its amazing to have 4 ovens and be able to work my way through the different heats. You are my baking hero. I wish that I could be as calm, collected and organised as you in the kitchen. I will be practicing from now on. Thankyou for your inspiration and your lovely personality. You made watching the bake off a real treat.

9. Caroline says:

Wish I’d come across your blog before buying my ‘Best Buy’ Neff double oven. So disappointed with the results 4 months in that I’m actually considering replacing with a Stoves. This had been on my list as it received similar good reviews but wasn’t a ‘Best Buy’ as it was too new to meet reliability tests so went with the recommended Neff oven. Now that you’ve had yours for over 2 years, would you still recommend your Stoves oven for baking? (I’m keen not to make another mistake!!). Thank you.

• I very much would recommend the oven still Caroline, it does a fantastic job everytime I use it. The only thing that I might look for in an oven now would be a digital temperature setting as they are getting more and more commonplace these days but for now my Stoves is still here to stay! x