Blueberry Crumble Muffins

Blueberry Crumble Muffins

This time of year blueberries are sweeeeeeet and juicy, if you can resist eating them straight from the punnet these muffins will go down a treat

180g self raising flour

55g soft light brown sugar

150ml milk

1 egg, large

25g melted butter

100g blueberries
Crumble Topping

2 tbsps flour (self raising is fine and you’ve already got it out of the cupboard)

10g butter, softened

2 tbsps oats

1 tbsp soft light brown sugar

1 tbsp chopped mixed nuts
If you don’t like nuts or oats just leave these out.
Makes 6 muffins.

No fancy gadgetry required for this recipe all you need is a large bowl and a wooden spoon, no big muscles and arm power needed either!
Preheat the oven to 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.
Weigh the flour and sugar and place in a big bowl.  Stir to combine.

In a jug measure the milk, add the egg and the melted butter.

And a little note about my jug, I have a couple of these OXO measuring jugs the angled rim on the inside means you can read the measurements from above and not ducking down and squinting to make them out on the sides! John Lewis – OXO Jug

Mix it up with a whisk or a fork.
Make a well in the centre of the flour/sugar and pour the liquids in.

Now mix it up with your wooden spoon – what do you mean you’ve lost it – too much stand mixer/hand mixer action if you ask me….!

In go the blueberries and stir it up.

Line a six hole muffin tin with muffin or tulip cases – these are larger than cupcake cases and hold a fair bit.  In the shops Waitrose own brand or Dr Oetker muffin cases are the right size.
The recipe makes 6 muffins, the correct amount of batter per muffin is 80ml, (how’s about that for super accurate?) using a small springloaded cookie scoop like mine it’s two level scoops.
I’ve looked all over and can only find the one I use here from Cook In StyleCook In Style – Scoop
Failing that divide the mixture between the 6 cases!

For the crumble topping, rub the softened butter into the flour in a small bowl.

Add to that the oats, sugar and nuts and give it a good stir up.

Sprinkle the topping over the top of each muffin.

There will be plenty of crumble mix left over, you can bob it in a plastic bag and keep it until you make muffins again – then it’s ready to go!
Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.  Allow to cool in the tin for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

Blueberry Crumble Muffins

Blueberry Crumble Muffins
White tulip muffin wraps are available from Amazon – have a look at the pink stripe and the red ones too!

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Blueberry, Cake, Cupcakes, Muffins, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Blueberry Crumble Muffins

1. Juno Addicted to property says:

Hi wen are you putting all these super recipes into a book?

2. Paaka Shaale says:

I have never tried muffins with crumble topping. Yours looks soooo tasty. I loved the muffin wraps :)

3. thelittleloaf says:

I make blueberry muffins all the time but have never added a crumble topping – yum! Perfect Friday baking suggestion :-)

4. Abi says:

Oh. My. Word. As soon as I have money. As soon as I can afford blueberries.

And more flour. The joy of being a student.

Love your site- this is so simple and more than likely delicious.

5. Sparrow Primitives says:

I can't wait to try these! I love the idea of a crumble topping. Yum :)

6. federilli says:

I'm so making these Sunday!

7. Francesca says:

I am sure these were a hit with your boys.

Hi Ruth can I use frozen blueberries cos these I already have?
    Glo

9. Mandy@Withmilkandflour says:

Blueberries are one of my favourite fruits to eat, these look like a great way to make use of them.

10. federilli says:

These were so easy to make! I replaced the blueberries with garden blackberries and it seems to work. Great recipe!

11. Stephanie says:

Just tried these out last night – very nice indeed! However my boyfriend who hates fruit but can eat shop-bought blueberry muffins couldn't eat this.
    So I'll be making a second batch tomorrow with just 40g of blueberries and hopefully he'll like it this time!

Hi Glo – frozen blueberries will work a treat x

13. Jennifer says:

I must try these this weekend – usually I make chocolate muffins or banana and chocolate muffins for after school treats – but with these I can get blueberries into my children with ease!

14. 33 Degrees says:

Just found you and will be back for more! I dont bake nearly enough for the 8 boys that I cook for on the boat I work on, but think your blog might help me just make that little extra time. V nice recipes and easy to follow. Cheers.

15. Bev says:

I added chopped apple and cinnamon instead of blueberries, i have loads of windfalls. The apple crumble muffins were a hit at home and the office

Ooh baking on a boat – sounds like fun! Let us know what you bake next 33 Degrees x

Bev those sound lovely! x

17. meg says:

I have made these twice now and they have gone down a treat. I find they do not take anywhere near 45 mins to cook though in my oven.

Love the blog – have been recommending it to other cake bakers too !

18. Debbie says:

Delicious… didn’t think I was a blueberry fan but I’m converted :-)

If I wanted to make these bigger (to fill my tulip cases better) do I just cook for longer and/or turn down the heat?

19. Pingback: My Favourite Baking Blogs « Bakes Books & Binky

20. joan says:

ihave made tham and thay are sow good whan hot and a cup of tea in hand and feet have a go

21. jacqui carroll says:

Ruth, would it be okay to use a silicone deep muffin tray for this with no cases??
    Thanks, xx

22. jacqui carroll says:

these are just heavenly, bought tulip muffin cases and they honestly looked as if i had bought them rather than made them, friends were ultra impressed. TRY THEM SOON EVERYONE