Day 5 – Paper Cup Christmas Cakes

On the fifth day of Christmas The Pink Whisk sent to me…..Individual paper cup christmas cakes! Perfect for a gift, for school fairs and all sorts x

Paper Cup Christmas Cakes
I know we’ve made Christmas cakes already but these are so cute I couldn’t resist adding them in to the 12 days of Christmas.  As an alternative to baking in teeny tiny tins Christmas paper cups are just the thing.

1 x 8″ cake mix will make you 8 paper cup cakes – that’s lots of presents, or lots of ££’s made at the School Fair.

One of the Christmas cake kits the supermarkets are doing are just the thing – I tried out this one by Whitworths and it tastes lovely so comes with The Pink Whisk seal of approval.

They also do a Stollen Kit which is worth a try too – alternatively you can use my recipe to make Stollen from scratch here.

You will need:

1 x 8″ Christmas cake mix

8 x paper cups – don’t go for the foil covered cups, you want the paper cups with designs printed on them.  The £ shops are full to the brim with them at this time of year.

Baking paper

1 x pkt marzipan

1 x pkt white ready to roll icing

Once you have your cake mixture ready to go, prepare the cups.

You will need to line the cups with baking paper.  I have made a handy template for you –  Paper Cup Lining Template

To get the paper lining to stick to the outside of the cup lightly spray with an oil spray or grease lightly. Stand the cups in a deep cupcake pan to keep them steady and upright.

Divide the cake mixture between the cups and bake in the oven.  Depending on the temperature (I’d recommend 140c (fan)/150c/Gas Mark 2-3) they should take around one hour – one hour 15minutes but test them with a skewer and make sure it comes out clean.

Allow to cool fully before going any further.

Once cooled tip the cakes out of the cups, they should come out fairly easily.  Trim down the baking paper lining so it just comes to the tops of the cake.  It makes them look much neater and pop back into the cups.

Roll out the marzipan on your worksurface lightly dusted with icing sugar.

Cut out a circle using a round cutter just the right size to fit into the top of the cup.

Place on top of the cake.

Repeat with the ready to roll white icing, place on top of the marzipan and smooth it using your fingertips so that it sits evenly in the top of the cup.

I’m finishing them off with just an icing snowflake using the cutters here and a sliver ball for a touch of sparkle!

Now the boys come interfering – you do it like this Mum.

How many silver balls can you squish on a mini paper cup cake? hmmmm………

I’m making a present?  Who can I give it too?  (What’s the polite answer here?)

Once they’re professionally finished, or not, depending on who’s done them they can be wrapped up in a cellophane gift bag and tied with a ribbon.

Paper Cup Christmas Cakes

Paper Cup Christmas Cakes

This entry was posted in Cake, Christmas, Gifts, Kids, Treats, Twelve Days of Christmas. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Day 5 – Paper Cup Christmas Cakes

1. Jennifer Shefki says:

What a fabulous idea, they look terrific. It’s just a shame our Christmas market at school was on Saturday! I shall have to remember these for next year, this year’s market was awash with cupcakes so something like this will be a welcome change.

2. Nicola Noble says:

What a fab idea – will have to remember this for next year. Thanks x

3. Sam says:

This looks great and really simple (good for me). Another recipe marvel :)

4. We loved this recipe at http://www.custommugs.pro, so we will do a post about it! We hope out customers will bake loads of cakes following your recipe!

5. Magnolia Verandah says:

Oooh these are excellent!

6. Pingback: Paper cup Christmas cakes

7. I love this idea – what a perfect gift – I am going to try this! x

8. Pingback: Christmas is coming! « Apple & Thyme

9. What a clever idea. I love these little cakes, won’t be making any this year, but will bookmark for next year!

10. sheona says:

Perfect pressies for work! Thanks.

11. Lauren says:

Oh wow I love this idea! If only I had done this when making my 14 mini Christmas cakes! They look gorgeous. after 4 hours of icing last night I have 9 rough bumpy looking little cakes and still have 4 more to go! I will definitely try thIs method next :)

12. EmmaMT says:

You’re a genius. These are pure brilliance not to mention a very funny post( love the remarks about the boys. I actually laughed out loud!)!

I will definitely be linking to this post in my Christmas blog round up.

Can’t wait to see what’s for tomorrow!

13. Marguerita says:

Excellent idea ! They look amazing! I’m surprised the cups don’t discolour. Well done again :-)

14. Tracy Conie says:

These look fabulous and just the thing for teachers presents, can I clarify, you put the baking paper lining back in the cup with the cake after you have trimmed it. Is there a reason for this?

15. Nichola says:

What an excellent idea! Could anyone tell me where I can find the Christmas mix pack. I have searched online and can’t find a supermarket that stocks this, unless they are already sold out.
    Thanks

• Morrisons have the Whitworths one, Tesco do a Mary Berry one which is now reduced to £5 and Delia’s at Waitrose is now £7.50 any will do the trick! And yes, I spend too much time in supermarkets! Xx

16. kathy says:

any suggestions for a cake that would be nice with marzipan and royal icing that ISN’T a fruit cake?

17. Clare Revell says:

I made these using my mum’s Christmas cake recipe as I wasn’t spending £7.50 on the Waitrose ready weighed out and boxed one when all i needed was mixed fruit. Divided nicely between the 8 cups.

18. Pingback: Lördagslänkar | Söta saker

19. Lyn says:

I made these yesterday ! They are great, I couldn’t find the mix in the shops so made a half portion of a Christmas cake recipe. I also cooked them in plain cups then discarded the cup and slipped the cooked cake into a Christmas cup, it worked a treat!

20. Debbie says:

Made the cakes today, with my 8yr old. We used the Sainsburys Taste The Difference mix, currently reduced to £2 from £15(!?) & managed to get 12 mini cakes. We could only find Xmas paper cups in one £ shop. Decorating tomorrow :)

21. Pingback: Christmas Kitchen Memories | Bakeylicious

22. Bizarre this publish is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it was indexed at the first page. I guess your doing something right if Google likes you enough to position you at the first page of a non comparable search.

23. Pingback: Black forest cake in a cup | Sabor Pastel