Marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats

April 2 027

Well once again it’s not quite baking but they are sweet treats, anyone would think my oven is broken! (Don’t worry it isn’t)

The boys love them, hey I love them too – there’s all sorts you can do with them.  I’m very rarely making them just for eating straight up, they get moulded into shapes for decorated cakes – for pieces that just wouldn’t hold up in cake, cut out with a cookie cutter, poked onto sticks the list is endless.  Whip up a trayful and it’ll be gone in next to no time.

45g butter

210g marshmallows

150g Rice Krispies

Line an 8″ square baking tray with non-stick paper.

Put the butter and marshmallows in a pan (big enough for you to get all those Rice Krispies in later!)

April 124

Put the butter in the bottom of the pan, not on top of the marshmallows like I’ve done here – it will stop the marshmallows from getting scorched and burnt.

Heat the pan over a gently heat, stirring it regularly.  As the marshmallows melt it starts to look like marshmallow soup.

April 126

Keep going until they’ve all melted and the butter is well worked in.

Now off the heat and in goes the Rice Krispies.

April 134

Stir it up, making sure they’re all evenly coated.

April 135

Tip it into the tin – it’s sticky watch out!

easter 030

Don’t try and spread it in the tin right away you’ll end up in a right sticky old mess, give it a minute or two to start to cool down.

Spread it out using the back of a fork.  If the marshmallow coating is still stringy and sticking to the fork let it cool a little more.

Once you can do it without it sticking, spread it and level it out with the fork.

easter 032

That’s it, leave it to one side to cool fully, decorate with whatever you fancy and set then eat away!

April 2 027

You can….

Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and decorate, even pop them onto sticks as lollies.

easter 062

April 071

Colour the marshmallow soup with food colouring before mixing with the Rice Krispies for coloured versions.

Mould it by hand instead of setting it into a tray for chopping up, let it cool a fair bit and grease your hands to stop it from sticking to you whilst you shape it.

Cut up the set tray and shape it by hand – If you’re making decorated cakes sometimes there are shapes that just won’t hold up in cake – mould it out of Rice Krispie Treats and cover it with sugarpaste.  (They make great Tractor and Digger wheels) The front pockets of this cake were made with Rice Krispie treats and then added afterwards, and now is not the time to question why on earth I didn’t cover the blimmin’ board!

bag cake

White marshmallows aren’t compulsory, you can use pink ones too

;)

Make it in the microwave – 1 minute on full power for the marshmallows and butter until they puff up, good stir and then 30 seconds more before stirring in the Rice Krispies – made in the microwave the Rice Krispie Treats are whiter and chewier (!) when made in the microwave than when made on the hob.

April 2 001

Decorate the top with melted chocolate, chocolate chips, sweeties, all sorts!

April 2 027

You can also make a full blown 3 tier cake from them – easiest celebration cake ever, post coming up!

April 2 171

However you do it they don’t hang around long!

April 2 027

Marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats

Meet me down the aisles of The Pink Whisk Shop – for all sorts of cake decorating and baking delights!

This entry was posted in Children, Kids, Marshmallow, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats

1. Pingback: Easiest Celebration Cake Ever! | Baking, Recipes and Tutorials - The Pink Whisk

2. Francesca says:

Hi Ruth,

I’d like to thank you twice. Firstly for giving me the idea of using Rice Krispies for sculpting a cake. (You mentioned it in your interview at the Cake & Bake Show last week and I have to make a cake in the shape of Roary the Lion.)

Secondly, I was trying to find a suitable recipe on the internet but they were all in American cup sizes and rather confusing. Then I found yours in grams. Perfect! Thank you, Francesca

3. Lisa says:

Ruth – the handbag cake looks fantastic. How did you make the buckles please?

4. Ursula says:

Just done, very easy, and oh so sticky when making, got into a bit of a fankle but it turned out well. Ready for boys coming in from school now! x

5. Lydia says:

Hi Ruth,

I tried these for the very first time following your idea as a cake – my little one doesn’t eat cake (weird I know!) and her birthday is coming up. Fabulous idea!

I don’t know if it’s the type of marshmallows I’m using (Tesco’s own) or something else, but my first batch were sooooo sticky they wouldn’t detach from the paper.

Second batch I used magic paper for easier peeling, slightly reduced the marshmallow quantity (2x100g bags) and sprinkled some extra rice crispies in. This was better, although a fair amount of force required to peel off the paper.

the other tip I’d give is run the fork along some butter before squishing, it seems to stop the mix from sticking and was much easier. I also lightly greased my cutter ring and was able to cut out circles easily as a result.

6. Diane Hallagan says:

Hi Ruth,

Love your site and the Rice Krispie treats are great – can I suggest a variation? Since I was a child, about 50 years ago, my family have made something very similar, but with the addition of toffee, which gives a lovely flavour and texture. Basically, you just use equal amounts of butter, marshmallows and toffee (Thornton’s is good), melt together then cram in as many Rice Krispies as the mixture will take. We always did 4oz of the first 3 plus half a packet of Krispies. Then just press into a buttered tin. A million calories a piece, but completely irresistible! Keep up the good work, Diane x

7. Pingback: A ballerina birthday party. | Behind "Issy Inspired"

8. Thank you for this great recipe – I do a lot of modelling as a cake maker, and have wanted to know how to make my own for ages?!

I very lightly greased my baking paper with Trex to stop it sticking to the paper, and it’s come out a treat (pun intended ;D!).
    Thanks Ruth x

9. Chanel says:

Hi, when moulding shapes by hand out of the mixture would you say it is best to do it before it cools (your first method mentioned)? or after it cools (your second method)? I need to make lots of balls about the size of a ping pong ball. Thanks :)

• It depends on how firm you need the balls and what you need them for! Doing it whilst warm the structure will be much more open and nicer to eat,just like the treats in bars. If you shape when cooled they are compacted and much harder on the teeth!

10. jakia says:

Hi Ruth

Many thanks for your tips and amazing recipes…this recipe and your choc truffle one is definitely easy to follow and create….hope to use them in my work bakeoff! cakey love, zakia xx