Mum’s Ginger Muffins

Mum's Ginger Muffins

You can always rely on Mums!  Mums mind children when you’re flat out, Mums give you a hug when you’re adamant you can’t possibly do one more thing….and Mums make great Ginger Muffins coated in sticky lemon icing!  They also write it up for all The Pink Whiskers too!
Here’s my Mum’s recipe for fab Ginger Muffins Thanks Mum xx

2 tbsp golden syrup

2 tbsp syrup from the jar of stem ginger

Lemon Icing

150g icing sugar, sifted

1 tbsp lemon juice

Makes 12 muffins.
Grease a 12 hole muffin tin with butter or sunflower oil.
Preheat oven to 200C/180C (fan)/ 400F/Gas Mark 6.
Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger cinnamon and salt together into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and the finely chopped stem ginger and mix well – the ginger’s very sticky and it needs to be evenly distributed through the muffins.

Break the eggs into a jug or bowl – make sure it’s large enough to hold all the liquid ingredients. Beat the eggs lightly, beat in the milk, oil and the syrups.Beat well as the golden syrup will stick to the end of the whisk -sorry it’s not pink but I used pink measuring spoons! (I’ve rubbed off the pink magic on my Mum too!)

Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture. Stir until just combined – don’t over mix it.

Spoon into the muffin tin – I use a little sunflower oil to grease the tin – you will need about one tbsp of mixture for each muffin.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch.

Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, remove and then serve warm or continue to cool on a wire rack.

Lemon Icing

Sift 150g of icing sugar and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice, mix until smooth and spread on the muffins. Sprinkle a little finely grated lemon zest or top with a sliver of stem ginger.
The muffins are delicious on their own but iced with lemon icing and they are lovely. I quite fancy trying a dark chocolate topping next time I make them. – Look forward to trying those Mum! x

Mum's Ginger Muffins
Mum’s Ginger Muffins

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Cake, Cupcakes, Ginger, Guest Post, Lemon, Muffins, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Mum’s Ginger Muffins

1. nicsnotebook.com says:

Mmmm sounds lovely – I have never had lemon with ginger before!

2. Bernice says:

Oooo these sounds yummy. A defo for this weekends baking. They'll vanish in a flash. Thanks Ruth, your mum is the best x

3. thelittleloaf says:

These sound lovely, and so simple. Nicsnotebook – lemon and ginger is gorgeous together – try it hot next time you have a sore throat!

4. von says:

Good heavens, they sound delicious. Have to get some ginger and golden syrup STAT! I love ginger. Your Mum is clearly very clever, Ruth!

5. Anne says:

Ooh they sound so good, will be definitely baking these!

And yes mums are wonderful!

6. traceyh says:

hi ruth, these look lovely do you think they would be as nice if i used more ground ginger instead of the stem ginger ?
    thanks x

I love your blog, but the misuse of apostrophes in the first paragraph is distressing.

8. Jo's blue aga says:

I love how you give photo's all along. Muffins sound great ginger and lemon such great flavour combo.

Goodness me, if all you have to get distressed about is the misuse of apostrophes – then you havent (oops) got a lot to worry about have you!?.,
    Love the site, love the recipe – many thanks – look forward to more!

Have just made them and they're delicious !

11. Kim says:

Mmmm ginger is my all time favourite flavour and these look delicious! Thank you Mummy Whisk!

12. Mandy@Withmilkandflour says:

These look delicious. I love ginger in cakes, the lemon icing sounds like the perfect accompaniment.

13. Lisa Armes says:

Is it definitely a tablespoon of baking powder?

14. Shelley Munro says:

Thanks for sharing the recipe. The combination of ginger and lemon sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to trying them.

15. Made With Pink says:

Mmm, these look delicious Ruth! I'm on a real ginger kick right now, and so is my hubby. I've been wanting to make some more muffins over the past few weeks, so I'm going to try these on Saturday morning for breakfast!

Definitely a tablespoon Lisa x

17. Lisa Jones says:

Love this recipe – have made a couple of amends
    have painted a little syrup from the ginger onto the cakes before icing (to add moistness) and also got very giddy when after seeing this blog was in a cake decor shop and found some edible gingerbread mean (so cute, about 5mm big that can be scattered onto the cakes). Made by PME and can be bought on eBay.

very happy!
    thanks Ruth

Yum……..just made these, gorgeous!

19. Roisin says:

Yum, I made these yesterday and am delighed with the result (especially that they rose just like in your pics!) they are really tasty…thank you !

Not really a comment on the recipe, just another Aussie fan who wants to congratulate you on an amazing effort on GBB (which we watched last night) and on your website which is a ripper. Keep up the great work Ruth, you obviously enjoy it. Nothing beats baking!

21. Pingback: Ginger mini-muffins « Blog Wellington

22. Jill says:

Made these today Ruth but they rose lopsided!! Any ideas what I did wrong?

• It is most likely down to hotspots in the oven, if you position a shelf above the one you’re baking on and add a cold baking tray to it as the muffins go in it can help give an even heat over the top x

23. Jill says:

ps: Must be very tired!! Meant to say they have ‘risen’

24. John says:

Ruth, yet another successful recipe, thank you so much. I decided not to ice mine (as I don’t have a sweet tooth) and they taste great without it. The stem ginger gives them a nice hidden kick as well.

So far, all of your recipes have worked very well. Keep up the great job.