Oven Baked Scotch Eggs

Proper tasty scotch eggs, and not a fryer in sight!

4 boiled eggs, large

400g good quality pork sausages (6)

1/2 Bramley apple

2 eggs

50g plain flour

salt and pepper

150g fresh white breadcrumbs

Makes 4.

Preheat the oven to 180c (fan)/200c/Gas Mark 5.

Boil the eggs in a pan of water, 3 minutes once boiling.  Drain away the water leaving them in the pan to cool completely.

Remove the shells, I find it easier working in a bowl of cold water, keeps those dratted bits of shell off your hands!

Prepare the sausagemeat.  My preference is for good quality pork sausages as I find the trays of sausagemeat a bit lacking in the taste department but if you know of a good sausagemeat then go for it! (and let me know too x)

Remove the skins, a cut down the length of each makes them easier to remove.  Put all the meat into a bowl and finely chop half a cooking apple. (The apple is of course optional but I think I must have a thing for sausage and apple – see the Ultimate Sausage Rolls recipe here)

Messy hands time,  squidge the meat and apple together and divide it into 4 equal portions.

Lay a square of clingfilm on the worktop and flatten out one piece of meat.

Place the egg in the middle and using the clingfilm to help lift it wrap the sausagemeat around until it is sealed inside and shaped into a round.

Wrap it up with the clingfilm and move onto the next.

Once you’ve washed your hands a million times and have all four eggs wrapped up, set yourself up a production line.

Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

Beat two eggs with a fork in one container, place the flour in another and season with salt and pepper and add the breadcrumbs to a large dish.

One wrapped egg at a time roll it first in the flour to coat it.

Then in the egg wash and then straight into the breadcrumbs.

Back into the egg wash again followed by another dip in the breadcrumbs.  The double coating of bread crumbs stops the eggs from going a little bald in the oven when they’re baked – noone wants a bald scotch egg!)

Never in your life have you washed your hands so many times throughout the course of a recipe!

Bob the scotch egg onto the baking tray and coat the others.

Now bake them in the oven for 25-30 minutes until they’re golden.

Oven Baked Scotch Eggs

Ooh and watch out for the gross Halloween version coming up tomorrow!

This entry was posted in Savoury, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Oven Baked Scotch Eggs

1. Ford says:

Is the Halloween version with black puddin’?

2. Makey-Cakey says:

Looks lovely! The oven baking really works – I was skeptical at first, but made some veggie oven baked scotch eggs a while ago and they were fantastic. Wasn’t sure how meat would work, but you’ve proved that it does, so will have to give it a try too!

3. thisisme says:

This looks like a lovely recipe, and I shall certainly be trying it out!

4. Sally B says:

I really want to eat one of these now!

5. Lyn says:

Ruth, I HAVE to wear disposable food preparation gloves to do anything icky like this. I can’t imagine life without those gloves! Will definitely be giving these Scotch Eggs a go, thanks for sharing this recipe.

6. Laura says:

I never thought I would say it, but I’ve never liked the idea of scotch eggs (being a foreigner an all), but these looks great and I might even try baking them for my English boyfriend so he stops eating store bought ones!

x Laura

7. Pingback: Halloween Scotch Eggs! | Baking, Recipes and Tutorials - The Pink Whisk

8. Lyn says:

Made these but used Lamb, rosemary and Thyme sausages and threw in lots of herbs & spices that I could lay my hands on. I only single dipped in Panko breadcrumbs as was trying to read recipe and keep eye on toddler grandson at same time so actually missed the double dipping of breadcrumbs bit. However they turned out brilliantly, so yummy! I have a flock of chickens producing plenty of eggs, so these will definitely be a regular for our picnics.

9. I have made these and they are simply delicious and very easy to make even for little hands

10. Helen Cosby says:

I made these yesterday morning and they were so good i made another batch in the afternoon!!

11. Dawn says:

Another successful pink whisk recipe, made this afternoon, will double up ingredients next time as they didn’t last long! Want to try a vegetarian alternative, any suggestions for the “sausage meat”?

12. Pingback: 7 Great Recipes For All Those Leftover Hard-Boiled Eggs - The Frugal Female

13. Sonya says:

I made these last week and they were excellent! I used Cumberland sausages. I cooked mine a bit longer to achieve a crispier coat.

14. Ralph says:

Thank you for the recipe, it works a treat. You were right about hand washing, the sausage meat was getting everywhere but around the eggs! I wasn’t going to use my second packet but then decided to use a ‘hands off’ approach’. All I did was divide the meat into equal portions, put each one in turn on cling film, then very loosely wrap the film about the meat. This allows it to be squashed flat (even with a rolling pin!) without getting all over the place. Carefully unwrapping the meat and placing the egg, then using the cling film again to wrap it up completes the job. No meat anywhere but on the egg:-)

15. Pingback: Leftover Hard-Boiled Eggs Recipes | Recipe Sharing Community | Josies Recipe Guide