Flapjack Bars

Flapjack 007 (Copy)

I know I’ve done flapjack before but this one is a bit different, its a thick buttery fudgy type bar flapjack, like you might pick up when you’re out and about.  Great big slabs of flapjack with a good old layer of chocolate on the top.

The magic ingredient is the condensed milk, just don’t think about the amount of butter and sugar that goes into these and you’ll be fine

;)

And if you were after a traditional kind of flapjack, including a yoghurty top – you’ll find my recipes here and here

4 tbsps golden syrup (80g)

250g butter

200g condensed milk

450g rolled oats

Topping

250g dark chocolate

25g butter

Preheat the oven to 160c(fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.

Line an 8 x 8″ tin with baking paper.

Melt together the butter, caster sugar and golden syrup – just heating it gently until the butter has melted and you can’t feel the grains of sugar in it.  You’ll need a fairly large pan to get the oats in later

;)

May1 026 (Copy)

Take it off the heat and stir in the condensed milk. (Even though I hate to say it, because its way more expensive – squeezy bottle is definitely the way forward)

May1 027 (Copy)
May1 029 (Copy)

Now in with the oats and give it a good mix up.

May1 031 (Copy)
May1 033 (Copy)

Tip it into the tin and level it out as best you can.

May1 034 (Copy)
May1 035 (Copy)

Now bake it in the oven for 20 minutes just until the top is very lightly golden.

May1 037 (Copy)

Leave it in the tin to cool completely.

For the topping melt together 250g dark chocolate and 25g butter and stir until even.  (You can cover it with milk choc if you prefer but don’t add the butter it can cause it to split)

May1 038 (Copy)

Pour it over the top of the cooled flapjack and tilt the tin just to level it.

May1 041 (Copy)

Let that set then cut it up into bars.    Mmmmmmmm!

Flapjack 001 (Copy)

Flapjack Bars

Flapjack 004 (Copy)

Meet me down the aisles of The Pink Whisk Shop – for all sorts of cake decorating and baking delights!

This entry was posted in Biscuit, Biscuits, Children, Chocolate, Kids, Treats. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Flapjack Bars

1. Sarah says:

Any advice about cutting the chocolate topping? I have found that cutting this is a nightmare as it cracks and makes the bars look scruffy – I’d love to be able to get mine as neat as yours!

2. Nicola says:

They look perfect! I love flapjack bars. Will definitely give these a try.

3. Rebecca says:

Looks amazing! I just have to bake these :P Ever since we have came back from England (lived there for half a year) my boyfriend is graving flapjacks! He loved them so much, but I never saw a really appealing recipe! I think making these with the chocolate on top will be a winner :D
    Thanks a lot for sharing!

4. Gerryberry says:

what a way to start off the weekend!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Ruth x

5. Mary Jane says:

Can I ask about the condensed milk please… have you used sweetened condensed milk?

6. Sally Campbell says:

Oh my Ruth,i made these today,my family have gobbled them up!! Thanks for a great recipe.xx

7. smilernpb says:

Wow, these look yummy. I think I will have to make these very soon! Thank you for sharing x

8. These look so good I could eat them right off the page. I’ll close my eyes to the sugar and just savour the taste! yum yum.

9. Laura Birkin says:

These look so good, condensed milk is on the shopping list and I’ll be making these at the weekend!

10. Dawn says:

Yum! Made yesterday and declared the yummiest flapjacks ever. I did leave off the chocolate topping to ease the guilt of eating more than one!

11. Sylvia McAleer says:

Wow wow wow! These were sooooooooooo good. Definitely the best flap jack recipe!
    Have taken a photo of my baking. Anywhere I can post up to share?

12. Lauren says:

Great idea to use condensed milk for the soft fudgy texture, made these the day I saw your recipe and thought they were great. Thank you!

13. Pingback: Perfect flapjack – at last! | doing sessions

14. Matthew Walker says:

Could you please include UK weights in your recipes. Though I’m conversant with metric I, like many other people prefer and am more familiar to using UK, rather than foreign weights…and my scales are in imperial! Cheers

• Grams are UK weights Matthew! I don’t include ounces or American cups in the recipes as converting them all would just take too much time. There are good online converters if you wanted to convert any of my recipes.

15. Ceri says:

I am going to get very, very fat eating these flapjacks!
    Absolutely amazing – well done, Ruth!

16. Ashley says:

Hi, how long will these last in a air tight container. Thank you, love your recipes x

17. Nicolette says:

These are so delicious!

18. Helen says:

I have tried loads of different flapjack recipes and this is definitely the best one! They taste amazing. thank you!

19. Jo says:

Hi Ruth, I was so excited to find your recipe. I tried it today and I don’t know what I did wrong but they were solid on the edge, soggy underneath and perfect on top. It also stuck to my baking parchment. I did one and a half times the recipe as needed to cook in bulk and put in a baking tray.
    I do wonder if they weren’t deep enough. When it came to putting it in the tin, it was sloppy so I put more oats in. For some reason I can never master flapjack, I don’t know why but I love it so it’s very frustrating. I like soft not crunchy flapjack.
    I’d be so grateful of any advice.
    Thank you. Jo

• Jo It sounds like there was some error in calculating/weighing the ingredients in a x 1.5 quantity. when the mixture is ready for the tin it shouldn’t be sloppy so something has gone wrong in the making stage. Its always best when trying out a new recipe to make the recipe exactly as is, for quantity and for ingredients so that you know how it should work out and then change it next time around. x