Recipe for Sugar Cookies – Children in Need

Pudsey Bear Sugar Cookies

I’m sure many of you will be baking to raise funds for Children in Need so here’s my how to for the perfect Pudsey Bear Sugar Cookies.  Children in Need is Friday 19th November 2010 – you can find out more here.
ASDA stores are giving away Pudsey Bear cutters to children this week, so please ask in your local store and get baking for Children in Need.

This post is also dedicated to two of the reasons I bake – introducing Dylan and Finlay.

This afternoon I am headed into school to talk to their classes on instructional writing and how I write recipes – wish me luck!

Cookies
225g butter
1 egg, large
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
375g plain flour, sifted

Royal Icing
500g icing sugar
1 tablespoon of Merriwhite
90ml water

or 1 packet of Silver spoon Royal Icing Sugar

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and the vanilla bean paste and mix well.  I use vanilla bean paste because I like the vanilla seeds through the cookie, if you can’t get hold of it use the seeds from one vanilla bean pod or 2 tsp vanilla extract.

Add the sifted flour and thoroughly mix to a dough.

Split the dough in half.

Take two sheets of baking paper and lay one on your worksurface.  On top place one half of the cookie dough.  Top with the second sheet of baking paper.

Now roll out the dough, between the two sheets to approx 4mm thick.

Place the rolled out dough, still in the baking parchment, in the fridge to chill for half an hour.

Repeat with the second piece of cookie dough.

Preheat the oven to 160c Fan/180c/Gas Mark 4.

Once the dough is nicely chillled it will be much easier to cut out perfect cookies.

Cut out your cookies and place on a greased or lined baking sheet,  chill again for a further 15 minutes or until they are completely hard again.  The chilling stops the cookies from spreading and will help them keep their shape.

Keep re-rolling the scraps and chilling again between two sheets of baking paper until you have used up all the dough.

Bake in the oven for approximately 12 minutes until the cookies are golden brown on the edges.  Baking times will vary depending on the size of cutter you are using, times here are based on a 2 1/2″ cookie.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the decoration mix up some royal icing to a thick pipeable consistency.  I use Merriwhite powder which replaces the egg white and it can be bought from online sugarcraft shops.  Alternatively Dr Oetker sell sachets of egg white powder on the baking aisle but they can be difficult to get hold of.  Trusty failsafe is to buy a packet of Silver Spoon royal icing sugar and mix it up following the instructions on the packet.

Add a couple of spoons to a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle and pipe the outlines of Pudsey’s bandana.

Colour one spoonful each of royal icing red, blue and yellow and add the spots to the bandana.

Colour a couple of spoonfuls black, using a gel paste colour and add in Pudsey’s features.

Take a couple of spoonfuls of white royal icing and add a tablespoon of water to make it a runny consistency – use to fill the bandana outline you piped earlier – squeezy bottles make this much easier but are not essential.  You will only need a couple of drops of this per bear.  Encourage the icing around the spots using a cocktail stick.

Leave to dry.

Then show your spots, sell lots and raise a fortune for Children in Need!

Pudsey Bear Sugar Cookies

Pudsey Sugar Cookies

Finalist on BBC2 The Great British Bake Off

This entry was posted in Biscuits, Treats, Vanilla. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Recipe for Sugar Cookies – Children in Need

1. leesamhop says:

They look fantastic Ruth, CIN always a worthy cause. x

2. leesamhop says:

Wow Ruth these look so cute and for such a good cause. x

3. Sarahsheep says:

I love your blog recipes and became a regular visitor here after enjoying TGBBO. This is another inspiring recipe, just off to put on my pinny now!

4. Emily says:

Wow they look amazing

wish you look hope it went well

Cupcakes And sugar

5. Elizabeth xx says:

Dear one, whenever I click the "Print This Page" button, (which you only see when you are viewing an individual post, right?) it crashes Internet Explorer. Does anyone else have this problem?

6. Gloria from West Sussex says:

These look great, Ruth, but how many roughly does the recipe make? Thanks x

7. Danielsmum says:

Thanks for the recipe and for the cutters you gave to the school. We are going to do a mass baking session and sell outside the house for CIN. Thanks Ruth

8. HeroCakePops says:

I love the bandages! Perfect.

9. Scarlett says:

Wow-very cute biscuits Ruth!

10. Peter Rabbit says:

they look great!
    can i ask why you do the white icing after you have done the coloured spots?

Peter Rabbit – I do the white icing after the coloured spots so that the white floods around the spots and they don't bleed into the white x

Depending on the size of cutter you are using you should get about 25 x 2 1/2" cookies, 16 x 3 1/2" cookies or 12 x 4 1/2" cookies. xx

Elizabeth – it is happening for some people – I will see what I can do xx

Hi Ruth,
    I am baking cakes for our annual event at work – and wil be using some of your recipes, hard to narrow it down they all look so good!!
    I also need to bake for my sons school, how long do the teddy cookies keep for? do i need to bake them the night before or can i spread my baking duties though out this week.

These cookies keep brilliantly in an airtight container – certainly up to a week,if not longer x

16. Helen says:

Tried the biggest Asda in the UK for the cutters today (Derby) and they hadn't even heard of them :(
    Luckily, being a pink-whisker I've already got a couple of teddy bear cutters hidden away somewhere , ha ha.

17. Arline says:

These look fab….might have a go at these and make some Christmas cookies! Thanks for sharing the recipe!x

18. Karen says:

This is a great recipe – I've just made christmas tree cookies for school fair. There was a wonky one so I ate it and it tasted fab!!

19. Creative Chaos Art says:

I used this recipe yesterday for Easter egg biscuits: http://bicyclegasoline.deviantart.com/art/Easter-Biscuits-206074685 It's so lovely, thanks for sharing! xx

20. Creative Chaos Art says:

Just want to share that I used this recipe again. I used it to form a 3D cube, and it's held up really well! http://bicyclegasoline.deviantart.com/art/Minecraft-Cookies-252508004
    Thanks! xx

21. Pingback: Chocolate Biscuits – Breast Cancer Awareness Month | Baking, Recipes and Tutorials - The Pink Whisk

22. 6YN says:

llllLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THEM

23. Annette Hanley says:

My children love making this cookie dough.
    They both made christmas cookies this afternoon. We used almond essence as we had no vanilla left and it tasted lovely.

24. Pingback: Day 2 – Elf Cookie Lollies | Baking, Recipes and Tutorials - The Pink Whisk

25. Kirstie phillipson says:

Wow your biscuit recipe is now my favourite I’m making the elf biscuit at the moment and they have gone perfect just like on your pictures. I have use round lolly sticks not flat ones though buy found placing a bit of extra dough on the back to secure works fine.
    My 6 yr old daughter is having fun cutting out :-) thank you for posting.

26. Anna says:

Hi Ruth!
    I just wanted to ask, is it alright if we refrigerate the dough before baking?